Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leica Summilux 35 1.4 ASPH
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Edgar Smile

Thank you Aleksander Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: False Blue? Reply with quote

I think you overdid it with the saturation in the castle picture. Common no sky background is THAT blue.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: False Blue? Reply with quote

petert wrote:
I think you overdid it with the saturation in the castle picture. Common no sky background is THAT blue.

not only saturation is overdid, all pics editing is overdid Confused

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No sky is that Blue?

are you sure?

this is in Canada after a sunset and a storm , but this is taken with an M8 and a summicron 50

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS: Hari I like pics 6 and 8 the best

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent Hari! Congrats! #4 and portraits from your g/f are eye catching really!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: False Blue? Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
petert wrote:

not only saturation is overdid, all pics editing is overdid Confused

Poilu - Actually no, not all the pix have a heavy dose of editing

First of all, im not very experienced with photo editing tools and I only have LightRoom (and silver efex pro/color efex pro plugins for LR) that came free with the M9. I did install and try Capture One but LR was much easier to use. I still use Picasa for my folder management. If you notice, most of my pix are as close to reality as possible (except for obvious B&W conversions or obvious tinkering) and some of my shots still have errors like the one with the green cast

And even in LR, i usually spend a minute or two playing with presets and maybe the contrast/fill light - rest is usually as shot. I started changing the AWB setting if the green cast appears in my pictures now.

The usual presets I use depending on the picture are:

1. WB - Auto/As shot depending on the green cast
2. Color Creative - Color CP 2 (for the retro film look)
3. Color Creative - Direct Positive (if the pic has low contrast/poor colors)
4. General - Auto Tone (if i underexposed or overexposed)
5. General - Punch (if i want to add some sharpening)

Yes, i did play with the saturation in the abbey pic - since the abbey was built on a very slanted piece of ground with doomsday like clouds & sky behind + the wind making the grass sway, it looked like a good candidate for some National Geographic kinda tinkering

That cleared, of course clouds can get that blue with no tinkering - coming from Greece, im sure you've seen some spectacular display of beauty and colors by nature

The tinkering was done by playing around with free downloadable presets for LR called "onOne PerfectPresets"

If you play with presets, it doesnt mean that the images are not edited - but, overdoing it is not usually a crime im guilty of. Better edited and attractive than undernourished and unattractive.

The objective of this post is to showcase the lens in its upsides and shortcomings, thereby showing my shortcomings with the camera and the lens and of course, the corrections/enhancement of the output files

I'm not conveying a 1:1 to the viewer 100% of the time, sometimes I am enhancing the image to make the image look nice(r) even if it changes the reality of reality

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hari wrote:
I'm not conveying a 1:1 to the viewer 100% of the time, sometimes I am enhancing the image to make the image look nice(r) even if it changes the reality of reality

photo appreciation is subjective and if everyone was following rules, life would be boring
even if this pic could be a nice cover for a book or cd, I think that it have little to do with the original pic, I found the processing overdone and I just wanted to express it

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Excellent Hari! Congrats! #4 and portraits from your g/f are eye catching really!

Thanks buddy!

I will try to get a new version of Distgon 35/1.4 to see how these two lenses handle the same subject.

Is this lens really worth the money and it's status of being the sharpest 35mm lens made for the 36*24 sensor?

I dont know if the comparison would be fair as the body also plays a role in this

Im not a blind follower of Leica or Zeiss or any other brand out there - lets be honest, Leica cameras have a lot of non Leica components (kodak sensor etc.) and Zeiss lenses are manufactured by Cosina. So much for Made in Germany.

But, unfortunately, at this point of time, its only Leica who offer a digital FF camera thats small and easy to use. The lenses are also small and portable. The engineering is superb!

The prices suck donkey b*lls and some of the features and failures should belong to cameras made in 2001, not 2011.

The M9-P? Apart from abusing brand ambassador Seal by giving him yet another camera for free and dropping his name everywhere possible, there seems to be no reason to get one by paying even more than the overpriced M9 in my opinion.

If Sony get their act right and release a FF Nex, i think they will effectively get all the "users" of equipment to their side.

The collectors and brand loyalists are a different market segment of course

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hari wrote:
I will try to get a new version of Distgon 35/1.4 to see how these two lenses handle the same subject.
Is this lens really worth the money and it's status of being the sharpest 35mm lens made for the 36*24 sensor?

I don't think that the Distagon 1.4/35 has ever been considered or promoted as the sharpest 35mm lens ever made. It has other qualities.
The Biogon 2/35 for Leica M bayonet is surely sharper, just to name one other lens...

Quote:
Im not a blind follower of Leica or Zeiss or any other brand out there - lets be honest, Leica cameras have a lot of non Leica components (kodak sensor etc.) and Zeiss lenses are manufactured by Cosina. So much for Made in Germany.

What counts are the design, the materials, the production standards. When all these are German, it does not matter much, in my opinion, if the hands who built the actual object were Asian. It remains a German product.

Quote:
If Sony get their act right and release a FF Nex, i think they will effectively get all the "users" of equipment to their side.

I think nobody likes to spend their money when not necessary.
But as a matter of fact, the Leica M9 at this moment is still the only full frame digital rangefinder camera.
So people who want a full frame digital rangefinder camera have no choice, either buy an M9, or wait indefinitely until another maker decides to build and sell one...

EDIT: about the price of the M9, I would consider that not only it's made almost completely by hand, but it also features a sensor that required a special technology
in order to handle the light properly in the peripheral areas of the sensor, due to the extreme proximity of some lenses' exit pupils to the sensor plane (like in non-retrofocal wide angles, for instance).
That is research and development that was specific for the M9 camera, as no other rangefinder camera exists that can use the same full frame sensor.
In other words, there is no way that Kodak can sell their M9 sensor to other makers. Therefore R&D costs impact considerably on the price of the M9.
It's not really fair to compare with standard production cameras in which you can slam in pretty much any standard made crop sensor that are mass-produced.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Hari wrote:

I don't think that the Distagon 1.4/35 has ever been considered or promoted as the sharpest 35mm lens ever made. It has other qualities.
The Biogon 2/35 for Leica M bayonet is surely sharper, just to name one other lens...

Quote:

What counts are the design, the materials, the production standards. When all these are German, it does not matter much, in my opinion, if the hands who built the actual object were Asian. It remains a German product.

Quote:

I think nobody likes to spend their money when not necessary.
But as a matter of fact, the Leica M9 at this moment is still the only full frame digital rangefinder camera.
So people who want a full frame digital rangefinder camera have no choice, either buy an M9, or wait indefinitely until another maker decides to build and sell one...

Orio - my mistake.

By "this lens" I was referring to the Summilux-M 35/1.4 ASPH. and not the Distagon 35 1.4

Personally, i'm not a fan of "xyz-est" - be it "sharpest" or "contrasty-est" but facts should be based on facts which is why i want to do the test

Talking about the 35 'lux - here is a decent review of the 35 summilux ASPH 2nd version (of course, with an element of marketing and sales involved) ->

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2010/06/14/the-leica-35-summilux-asph-1-4-ii-lens-review-yea-the-new-version/

And here is a test between the 1st version of the 35' lux ASPH and the 2nd version ->

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2010/12/07/the-leica-35-summilux-asph-which-one-version-i-or-ii-by-ashwin-rao/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
Hari wrote:

photo appreciation is subjective and if everyone was following rules, life would be boring
even if this pic could be a nice cover for a book or cd, I think that it have little to do with the original pic, I found the processing overdone and I just wanted to express it

Here's the picture - straight out of the camera, converted from dng to jpg :

Still think it's overprocessed?

Happy to mail you the .DNG

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hari, i just both read an article and saw a video posted by a member about ansel adams, icon of photography. his son, who runs his museum, said over and over again what a 'magician' his father was in the darkroom. his darkroom btw was larger than most peoples homes! his son showed iconic photos we all know, then showed the ORIGINAL, or 'out of the box, versions. the differences were stunning, and were achieved through 'post processing'.

photography is an art, and as an art your pictures just need to appeal to you. post processing is part of the artists pallette to achieve whatever look they want. if you've done that here to your satisfaction, you should consider the photos a success.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
hari, i just both read an article and saw a video posted by a member about ansel adams, icon of photography. his son, who runs his museum, said over and over again what a 'magician' his father was in the darkroom. his darkroom btw was larger than most peoples homes! his son showed iconic photos we all know, then showed the ORIGINAL, or 'out of the box, versions. the differences were stunning, and were achieved through 'post processing'.

photography is an art, and as an art your pictures just need to appeal to you. post processing is part of the artists pallette to achieve whatever look they want. if you've done that here to your satisfaction, you should consider the photos a success.

tony, precisely my point of view

which is why i say "I'm not conveying a 1:1 to the viewer 100% of the time, sometimes I am enhancing the image to make the image look nice(r) even if it changes the reality of reality"

my personal taste is as close as possible to the original but sometimes i like pushing the pedals if it pleases my eye

any new shots with your AX?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my taste runs to the original as well. btw, did you see that DXO has come out with a pp program that mirrors numerous different film types, some a little rare, both color and b&w--you should check out their site.

to tell the truth, i'm having a little issue with my AX. i just had it cla'd because my pix were coming out like a stop too dark. just shot a roll of scala, and damned if it too didnt come out too dark. now, ive only shot wierd type film lately both pre and post cla, like the scala and agfachrome 1000, so it might be the film being outdated, so i'm going to try next a normal film and see what happens...really pi**ed about how the scala turned out though...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
my taste runs to the original as well. btw, did you see that DXO has come out with a pp program that mirrors numerous different film types, some a little rare, both color and b&w--you should check out their site.

to tell the truth, i'm having a little issue with my AX. i just had it cla'd because my pix were coming out like a stop too dark. just shot a roll of scala, and damned if it too didnt come out too dark. now, ive only shot wierd type film lately both pre and post cla, like the scala and agfachrome 1000, so it might be the film being outdated, so i'm going to try next a normal film and see what happens...really pi**ed about how the scala turned out though...

Thanks for the info man, will check the site out!

Bummer with your AX ... mine's just sitting there getting bored as im not kicked about developing film by myself and the rates for getting them developed seem pretty steep to me - i stepped into the world of photography only during the digital age so im used to taking as many pictures as i want and having them on my machine for free :/

Guess ill hafta find a good lab in eastern europe who can develop rolls for cheaper - that way i can shoot a dozen rolls at a time and send them over for developing and writing them on a cd and have them posted back

The costs may just work out to as much as i pay here locally in the end but its worth a try maybe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hari wrote:
my personal taste is as close as possible to the original but sometimes i like pushing the pedals if it pleases my eye

great if it pleases your eyes, personally I prefer the bottom version

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
Toni wrote:

great if it pleases your eyes, personally I prefer the bottom version

to each his own Smile

its what keeps the world diverse and interesting

but coming back to the point, do you see overprocessing?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hope you do find one hari, i think you will just love using tha AX, its such a pleasure to shoot with, especially when coupled with your distagon 35/1.4 or planar T 85/1.4! i love digital too, but really nothing can match look of a great shot with great cam/lens on film...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hari wrote:

yes, if you could see your version on my lcd, you would probably get a heart-attack Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
Hari wrote:

yes, if you could see your version on my lcd, you would probably get a heart-attack Very Happy

Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M9 + Summilux 35 ASPH. [pp done in picasa] ->

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings from Shanghai

The Bund

Some excerpts from Wikipedia:

"The Shanghai Bund has dozens of historical buildings, lining the Huangpu River, that once housed numerous banks and trading houses from the United Kingdom, France, the United States, Italy, Russia, Germany, Japan, the Netherlands and Belgium, as well as the consulates of Russia and Britain, a newspaper, the Shanghai Club and the Masonic Club. The Bund lies north of the old, walled city of Shanghai. This was initially a British settlement; later the British and American settlements were combined in the International Settlement. A building boom at the end of 19th century and beginning of 20th century led to the Bund becoming a major financial hub of East Asia. The former French Bund, east of the walled city was formerly more a working harbourside.

The Bund houses 52 buildings of various architectural styles such as Romanesque, Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque, Neo-Classical, Beaux-Arts, and Art Deco (Shanghai has one of the richest collections of Art Deco architectures in the world).

The Bund was famously featured in the novel Empire of the Sun by British author J.G. Ballard, based on his experiences as a boy during the Japanese invasion and occupation. The book was later made into a film by Steven Spielberg."

[got lots of dust on the sensor, have to clean when im back in Germany]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

somewhere in Berlin :

somewhere in Venice :

(Realto)