Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kyoei Acall 180/3.5 M42 - a rare lens ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:43 am    Post subject: Kyoei Acall 180/3.5 M42 - a rare lens ? Reply with quote

I got really lucky when I saw this -

This was the first time I've seen this lens under its original brand, and luckily no-one else seems to have been after it.

Captain Jack has it as a Taika Tele-Coligon -

http://captjack.exaktaphile.com/Taika%20page.htm

Kyoei was a small manufacturer that seems to have gone out of business (or was aquired by someone else or changed its name) sometime in the early 1960's. The house trademark was "Acall". The most common Kyoei lenses are the 135/3.5 Acall in Leica/Canon screw mount, which are quite easy to find(I have one), and the corresponding 35/3.5 for LSM also.

Much more rare are a very different series of lenses for Exakta or M42 mount. There may be other mounts, but I have not seen them, and I don't think these were ever made for a T-mount. I have spotted and missed these several times.

The 135/3.5 in Exakta -

35/3.5 in Exakta -

Petri seems to have contracted with Kyoei to make some of the lenses it originally offered on its first SLR, the Petri Flex (which was M42, not the later Petri bayonet), maybe as early as 1959. This is one of the Petri Orikkor lenses made by Kyoei - it is the same as the Acall 135/3.5.

I much regretted missing a very similar Kyoei-made Petri Orikkor 180/3.5, but now I have the Acall version.

There seems to have been a rather large line of these Acall SLR lenses, but probably only in very small numbers - from the www.ihagee.org third-party lens list the following have been seen for Exakta -

Kyoei Optical 35 3,5 W. Acall PS Kine FM -1960
Kyoei Optical 80 3,5 Acall ? Kine EM
Kyoei Optical 105 2,8 Acall ? Kine EM
Kyoei Optical 105 3,5 Acall ? Kine EM
Kyoei Optical 135 2,8 Acall PS Kine FM
Kyoei Optical 135 3,5 Acall PS Kine EM
Kyoei Optical 135 3,5 Acall PS Kine EM
Kyoei Optical 150 4,5 Acall ? Kine EM
Kyoei Optical 180 3,5 Acall PS Kine EM
Kyoei Optical 250 4,0 Acall ? Kine EM
Kyoei Optical 500 8,0 Acall ? Kine EM

Any of these would be a quite unusual find !

It is a very nicely finished lens, precisely made and it seems very sturdy. The one I have is in such nice shape, unbrassed and with near-perfect finish, that I was reluctant to take it shooting. The preset mechanism is of the Japanese two-ring kind, but the aperture-set uses the German pull-the-ring-back system for selecting aperture. It is a quite compact design compared to other 180/3.5's of the period, shorter than my Soligor (Komine), Vivitar, and Tamron preset 180mm's. Minimum focus is quite good for this sort of lens of its time, 7ft/2m. The diaphragm is one of those curious ones that make a "star" pattern at some settings, see below for some interesting bokeh.

It is a very nice performer I think. It is very usably sharp at f/3.5 and sharper than my sensor can distinguish at f/5.6. It doesn't suffer much if at all from flare. It does show a red fringe under some circumstances but usually not much. As a lens, a very worthy item.

Way too many seagulls, not much else to shoot, and little time to do it -

Spring is here -

Note the OOF highlight -

The (last) bird -

crop -

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it is great for my contrasty b&w appetite Smile

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh I love the bokeh!

You need to stop testing all these lenses you know, it's costing me a fortune Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting, Luis. The 35/3.5 is making me scratch my head and think that I passed on one somewhere. Excellent Pics from the 180.

Bill

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! I never heard anything about this brand! Congrats!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good. I haven't heard about them too.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shrek,

If you're going to go after these your wallet is safe. They are hard to find so you probably will spend your money quite rarely ! I have been on the lookout for a year for this one.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked on of these up online. Hope it fits my 5D mkii (without hacksawing)... will post some snaps when it gets here (and if it fits).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats. And most M42 teles fit to a 5D without problems I think.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what used to think, I've just hearing about more and more that hit the mirror at infinity... Arrow fingers crossed

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should fit, the lens does not protrude beyond the M42 mount.

You have been quite lucky !

I have also been lucky, I have just this week purchased the even more rare 250mm f/4 Kyoei (in a distributors brand).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, I'd like to see the 250 in action!

Ok, the rear element is a good deal away from the the back end of the lens. It mates up well with the 5D mkii and WOW this thing is tiny and sharp!

Almost has a Distagon effect? Images coming up soon...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic that even after quite a number of guys here have researched on and experimented with lenses for quite a while, every now and then a new lens pops up!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my version of this lens is a little different. It is labeled: Kuribayashi K.C. Petri Orikkor. Here's some camera phone pics, because uh, my camera is being photographed...

Wasn't "Kuribayashi" a character from the movie The Ususal Suspects? Shocked

Alright, here are some REALLY quick snaps without much photographic thought and more fighting to actually turn the focus ring without loosening the lens out of the m42 to Eos adapter (focus ring is just a little tight):

Some bloke & some bokeh:

'Cause everyone here tests a lens on flowers, here is a terrible shot of flowers to test the flower shooting capabilities:

This baby poops sunshine (and lens flare) for grandma:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria, could you post pictures from 35mm one?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fates,

Yes, the Kuribayashi camera company bought the Kyoei lenses for the first Petri SLR in 1959. So your Orikkor is one of those.

I have been looking for the 135, or any Kyoei lenses in Petri mount for a long time. I like the zebra style of these.

Good luck with yours. A little lighter fluid in the helical seems to fix the stiff focus.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mist,

I don't have the 35mm Kyoei, that picture is from an auction I lost. I certainly would like to have one.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Hi Fates,

Yes, the Kuribayashi camera company bought the Kyoei lenses for the first Petri SLR in 1959. So your Orikkor is one of those.

I have been looking for the 135, or any Kyoei lenses in Petri mount for a long time. I like the zebra style of these.

Good luck with yours. A little lighter fluid in the helical seems to fix the stiff focus.

I've heard that before, but can you show me exactly were the lighter fluid should be applied? Sounds a little dangerous. I like that. Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one will be on the way to me soon:

Let's see if it's a triplet (because it's rather long for a 105mm).

Edit: the seller has confirmed that all glass is situated at the front of the lens barrel, so it's indeed a triplet.

Last edited by Spotmatic on Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that a 105/3.5? I have a similar looking (Sankor?) 105/2.5, but that sounds quite different Surprised

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrek wrote:
Is that a 105/3.5? I have a similar looking (Sankor?) 105/2.5, but that sounds quite different Surprised

It's indeed a 105/3.5. I'm really interested in its performance.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes me wish I never would have sold my Super Acall 135/3.5 . . . or the Canon IVSb it was attached to when I bought it. Cool

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice !

I didn't know there was a Kyoei/Petri 105, thanks for the discovery !

The 135 is not a triplet for sure, its 4 elements, 1-2-1

Hi Shrek, nope, not a Sankor that I have seen before, it looks like a Kyoei, same layout as the 135 and 180.

Luis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:03 am    Post subject: Kyoei/Petri/Yashinon-R? Reply with quote

I was researching an unusual lens that I came across on ebay when I stumbled upon this thread. The lens in question is a "Super Yashinon-R 1:3.5 18cm", in the proprietary Yashica "Y" mount for Yashica's early "Pentamatic" series (pre M42). What led me to this forum was the red K.C on the front of the lens, which I have never seen on a Yashinon lens before. Studying the pictures in this thread, it seems obvious that the lens pictured in the auction below:

Click here to see on Ebay

is a Kyoei Acall 180/3.5 in Yashica "Y' mount. What is even more interesting are the adapters for M42, C/Y, and Nikon included in the sale.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ebay link doesn't work!