Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kyoei Acall 180/3.5 M42 - a rare lens ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: Kyoei/Petri/Yashinon-R? Reply with quote

Greyscale said.

Greyscale wrote:
I was researching an unusual lens that I came across on ebay when I stumbled upon this thread. The lens in question is a "Super Yashinon-R 1:3.5 18cm", in the proprietary Yashica "Y" mount for Yashica's early "Pentamatic" series (pre M42). What led me to this forum was the red K.C on the front of the lens, which I have never seen on a Yashinon lens before. Studying the pictures in this thread, it seems obvious that the lens pictured in the auction below:

Click here to see on Ebay

is a Kyoei Acall 180/3.5 in Yashica "Y' mount. What is even more interesting are the adapters for M42, C/Y, and Nikon included in the sale.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fates wrote:
^ebay link doesn't work!
It took me a couple of attempts to post the link until I saw that "Ebay" bbcode button ... LOL

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st time posters can't post links or pictures they won't show up. It's an anti-spam measure. That's why I quoted you so the link would show.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walter G, I see in your signature that you have a JC Penney 135mm 2.8 lens. I just bought one of those on eBay, is it a decent lens?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on your copy. they were made by different manufactorers.
I have yet to see a bad one, but the one I have is one of my favorite lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, thanks for posting the link. Thats a Kyoei indeed.

I think Jon (Univer) found one of these Yashica branded ones also.

It may be that Yashica is a T-mount version, that Jon also found.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
I have also been lucky, I have just this week purchased the even more rare 250mm f/4 Kyoei (in a distributors brand).

Just wondering - were you ever able to test your 250/4, and if so, what did you think of it? Question

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I did test it - pretty good, but very heavy.

http://forum.mflenses.com/tekkor-kyoei-250-4-exakta-mount-rare-lens-weird-name-t20082,highlight,kyoei.html

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More info on this lens - Its a Sonnar.

I have had to disassemble this lens as I discovered some fungus starting on it behind the front element.

I can confirm that this thing has five elements in three groups, the center group being a thick block of what looks like three cemented elements - i.e., its a classic "Olympia" Sonnar formula as I understand it.

I am working on another 250/4 Acall at the moment, restoring it, and that one also has the same formula.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just picked up the 250/4 amongst other stuff it is branded Kyoei Acall it's a preset and has a screw mount but not sure what thread it is, measures approx 35mm, to heavy for me I'm afraid so if anyone would like it let me know, I've not a clue about price though lol, I'll try and get a photo up shortly.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry used the tablet and not very well I'm afraid. Embarassed
Bit more info aperture is F4-F16 and tripod mount is set right next to the mount

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thats mine.
I have two of them now.
I suggest you stick it on ebay.
Sometimes Acalls fetch good prices. They are uncommon and collectible.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I had no idea . . .

I was introduced to Kyoei when I bought my first Canon Rangefinder, a IVsb, back in about 1983. The cute little camera had a Kyoei Super Acall 135mm f/3.5 mounted on it. At the time, I asked around at a camera swap meet I went to, and the consensus among the dealers amounted to yawns and disinterest. One dealer deigned to comment that it was simply junk. Of course, I chose not to believe him, especially when the pics I had developed turned out looking pretty good. Certainly good enough to keep it. I eventually sold it, but a few years ago, I bought another one, and this one even came in its original satin-lined box. I'm glad to have it back as part of my small Canon rangefinder collection once again.

Here's the only pic I have of it handy, along with most of the rest of my LTM collection, which includes a 100mm f/4 Serenar w/finder, a 50mm f/1.8 Serenar, and a Canon IIIa body.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's no good lol reading this thread I've got to at least try it out so could anyone identify the mount for me, as I mentioned earlier it measures 35mm across.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that I have found one of these for sale locally. Is $125 USD to much to pay for a zebra, Petri branded version with a Honeywell Spotmatic hooked to it?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ten years ago I would have said $125 is too much.
These days I am not sure. These are quite uncommon so there isnt much history of completed transactions to go on. If you really want one the real problem is finding the thing in the first place. What is your time worth?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Petri branded ones always seem to go for that little bit extra. Here's a link to a Taika Coligon branded equivalent for half that price:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/373865334964?hash=item570c1c48b4:g:ZbgAAOSw9S5h3L8F

Not affiliated....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder whether the Petri 7 compact camera's had in fact Kyoei made lenses. 4.5cm 1.9 and 1.8. The last I have converted to Sony FE mount. Dead 7 camera and the aperture blades needed repair as well. Quite tricky operation with scissors etc. Lens is fine now.

Several Kyoei lenses seem to transmit UV light well.
https://www.nikoncafe.com/threads/kuribayashi-petri-orrikor-lenses-for-uv.292651/

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, shortly after posting in this thread the lens I was looking at disappeared. Last week it reappeared for $75 USD and I snagged it! The M42 adapter needs a new set screw, but besides that it works. Seems like a nice lens, but HEAVY! Nice smooth bokeh...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more from this lens on my Sony A7ii.