Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Konica 135 F3.5 (The Wilkinson Sword) so sharp it cuts
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Konica 135 F3.5 (The Wilkinson Sword) so sharp it cuts Reply with quote

Well i received two more lenses today a 1st Generation Konica AR 135 and the 28mm.
Here are the results straight from the camera.
No P+P of any kind at all.
I have to say this lens to me looks very sharp.
all taken around F5.6 to 8

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The statue is just plain great! Especially when you click through... Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting photos of York. I hadn't noticed those details before and I go there a few times a year. That Konica is very sharp indeed, by contrast here is a very soft and possibly misfocused photo of that statue of Emperor Constantine that I took in 2009 with a terrible Chinon 80-210:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hexanon AR 135/3.5 is great: sharp, nice colours, and it's small and light. I just sold all my Konica lenses/bodies/adapters, but this 135 is probably the one I'll regret the most.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Hexanon 3.5/135, wouldn't call it small or light, it resembes a Takumar, all metal, maybe I have an earlier one?

Mine is mint, hardly been used, I must try it out more.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was this one

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is this model, all metal, rather large and heavy for a 135.

Not my pic btw.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Hexanons are top performers, 28mm is especially good in fact hard to find bad 135mm from any well known makers.

Hexanons

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/konica/?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3.5/28 and 1.8/40 are top of my list of lens to add to my set.

Attila, do you know if there is any or much difference in performance between the earlier Hexanons like that 135 I have and the later ones?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes less contrast , but most of the times nothing. All are sharp , contrasty perfect lenses. I collect oldest F mount lenses , they produce stunning images . Yours is AR mount EE lens , latest ones are AR mount AE lenses.

Oldest 35mm f2.8 F mount for example.

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/konica/konishiroku_hexanon_35mm_f2_8/?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou for the info.

Seems the Hexanon 3.5/28 has been 'discovered' now as there are lots of them on ebay UK with hefty BIN prices.

I have only seen one F mount Konica lens appear on ebay, they seem to be rare here in England.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, i shall upset you then i managed to snag both of these for £9.99 each and no bids on them, the 28 is also great will put up some pics, my 135 is the same as the one in the pics with the silver band I dont think it is massivly heavy
both mine came with the Hood, and leather case
my 50 F1.7 is also a stunning lens

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not upset, congratulations! I went with Yashica MLs instead of Hexanons because I could also use them on my EOS and picked up the 28, 35 and 50 for peanuts.

Had some disappointing experiences with the MLs though and after trying the Hexanon 1.8/50 I got for a fiver, I realised I needed more of them to use on my NEX. I have had the 135mm Hexanon for ages, I got it for 8 quid I think, with hood, leather case etc.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Thankyou for the info.

Seems the Hexanon 3.5/28 has been 'discovered' now as there are lots of them on ebay UK with hefty BIN prices.

I have only seen one F mount Konica lens appear on ebay, they seem to be rare here in England.

28mm is very common (latest AE ) , F mount is rare hard to find other than 50 and 35mm.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the F-mount 35 for sale on ebay a few weeks back, mint in leather case, I bid on it but it went too high, I bought a mint Panagor 2/35 in AR mount instead.

That is the only F mount lens I have seen for sale.

On ebay UK now the 3.5/28 is plentiful but almost all are BIN and they are in the 30-100ukp range, I will be patient and find a good one cheaper, I already have many 28s to play with.

Not shot much with the 2/35 Panagor yet but it seems to be a good one, these are wide open:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I saw the F-mount 35 for sale on ebay a few weeks back, mint in leather case, I bid on it but it went too high, I bought a mint Panagor 2/35 in AR mount instead.

That is the only F mount lens I have seen for sale.

On ebay UK now the 3.5/28 is plentiful but almost all are BIN and they are in the 30-100ukp range, I will be patient and find a good one cheaper, I already have many 28s to play with.

Prices seems increased due mirror less cameras can mount them. Friend of mine did try to sell locally an F mount lens for 20 GBP he couldn't

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he still has that F mount, I would be interested in it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
If he still has that F mount, I would be interested in it.

Think about first how can you mount it, I have genuine Konica F->AR mount adapter. It has small mount like an Exakta.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The register is the same as AR, right? Therefore it shouldn't be too hard to improvise a F-AR adapter.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
The register is the same as AR, right? Therefore it shouldn't be too hard to improvise a F-AR adapter.

Yes same distance.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which F lens does he have, sorry, I forgot to ask!

The Hexanons I really want to add are the wider ones, I'd really like the 1.4/50 (or is it 55?) for lowlight work on NEX and the 1.8/40 pancake as a small walkaround lens for NEX, I'd also like an ultrawide in the 24-16 range. I don't see me using anything longer than 135mm very often with the NEX and I have loads of really good 135s.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Which F lens does he have, sorry, I forgot to ask!

The Hexanons I really want to add are the wider ones, I'd really like the 1.4/50 (or is it 55?) for lowlight work on NEX and the 1.8/40 pancake as a small walkaround lens for NEX, I'd also like an ultrawide in the 24-16 range. I don't see me using anything longer than 135mm very often with the NEX and I have loads of really good 135s.

35mm f2.8 widest for Konica F.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dug out myHexanon 3.5/135 to see if it's as good as this later version?

Yes, extremely sharp, even wide open,which these pics are. Strong rival to my Sonnar 3.5/135 and Pentacon 2.8/135 as the best 135 in my collection.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that 135mm has some decent POP! Great lens!

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Had some disappointing experiences with the MLs though

Ian, I thought the conclusion was that you were focusing past infinity, and the MLs are actually very good lenses? No point bashing good lenses if the adapter or shooter is to blame Wink

Back to.Konica, I have the 40/1.8 and used it on the Nex to good effect, especially when used at f2.8.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Left at the cam late f 22 AE version, right early f 16 EE version

Wink