Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kiev-II and lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Kiev-II and lenses Reply with quote

I'm delighted to be the proud owner of this delightful set:

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Handsome and powerful set ! Congrats! I look forward your shoots with each of them.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. Now you itch for the j3. Smile

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shot with the J12 and J9 today, will develop and scan the roll shortly.

I don't miss the J-3, it's the Orion-6 28mm and Russar 20mm I really want, not sure if they are available in Kiev mount though, maybe M39 only.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a very pretty kit, one may make an argument that really, for the kind of thing it is good for, there's very little better out there.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Jussi, there is more expensive for sure, but better? Well, maybe technically superior but as a tool to make pictures, that is debateable and not more fun to use I am sure. Perhaps an M7 with the most expensive Leica glass is technically better, but I doubt it makes better pictures, there is so much more to making a photo than the technical specs of your kit. The amount of fun I get from using something is important to me too and I really enjoy using this Russian kit so for me, it is as good ad it comes and makes me very happy.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, a great deal of fun + excellent results = one happy boy, in my book as well Laughing

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great set, Ian, but you need to clean the table's glass Wink

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, it's black marble, not glass.

The roll I shot today with the J9 and J12 is drying, will scan shortly, EFKE 50 in FX-39m negs look nice, quite excited to see what results are like. Let's hope I found good copies of these lenses, if not I can sell them and get others, the J12 is a 67 and the J9 a 63 so chances of them being good copies are quite decent I think.

The J-8 is a 57 and a really good one, I already shot a roll with it.

I do find the Kiev-II and J-9 combo very sexy looking and I really enjoyed using it. I was surprised how nice the image in the multifinder is, the one thing I need to remember for next time is the parallax error, looking at the negs, I almost chopped the top off the subject in a couple of the shots.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice set you have there, congratz Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Nordentro.

Here's the first scan from the J-9, looks nice and sharp to me, f8:

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the camera like to use? How many times have you accidentally blocked the RF window?

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
it's the Orion-6 28mm and Russar 20mm I really want, not sure if they are available in Kiev mount though, maybe M39 only.

Orion is available. This is 1970 situation.

Russar probably not because then there would be 2 entries, for both bayonet and screw mounts. It is possible that they would have made a version after 1970, don't know?

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, an Orion would be nice to have.

The camera is great to use, the RF is always accurate, no matter the distance or the lens used, the shutter is very quiet, it makes a good street shooter. Knob wind is faster than you might think, I like all aspects of it. Just one minor bugbear and that is the parallax difference between the RF and the multifinder, just have to remember about it and be a little conservative on framing things not too close to the edges.

Only put finger over rf window a few times, you soon get used to it and learn to hold it lower down.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J9 series here:

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1232279.html#1232279

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Russars seem to be starting from $500 anyways.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAMN nice results, I especially love the highs and textures on #1

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, the Russar is both rare and expensive.

Cheers Jussi, the EFKE 50 is a really nice film and the J-9 a really nice lens, which really helps.

BTW, my house is in #1, it's the one on the right with the flag flying.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, I almost fainted... or swooned, I think is the correct word. Beautiful set, and excellent results! I can't help but be envious, Ian. Congrats! wow!

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Aspen, for the price these things fetch they are such bargains.