Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Just to be sure... (Pentax woes)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Just to be sure... (Pentax woes) Reply with quote

Hi colleagues.

I've been reading all the threads in this forum in order to get a clear idea on what could be a good investment for a new digital body to use with MF lenses. Since price will be a constraint (I've spent too much lately in photography) I'm not considering a new body (like the Canon 40D that can have an "official" focus screen). Obviusly a full frame would fall much farther outside the price limits.

So my two final candidates are the good old Oly E300 that seems performing very well with MF lenses (as seen in the nice pictures posted in the galleries) and the Pentax K100D, that I could get for some 350€ if I decide quickly. (However, the price breaks my initial target...).

Just to be sure that I understood properly what I've read, I'd appreciate your confirmation of this asserts:

1. The Pentax K100D has a 6Mpix sensor.
2. The Pentax has image stabilizer.
3. The light metering TTL works fine with the MF lenses.
4. There is a focusing confirmation even for MF lenses.
5. Shooting in RAW you can get really good pictures.
6. Better viewfinder.

Not sure about automatic sensor cleaning.

On the other hand, the Oly

1. Has a 8Mpix sensor.
2. Does not have image stabilizer
3. Light metering is possible for MF lenses.
4. No focusing confirmation available for MF lenses.
5. It's the smallest DSLR body available.

Any feedback/recommendation in any sense will be very appreciated.
Obviously, being price biased, the Oly represents a better option, but the Pentax focusing confirmation would make me think three times before deciding finally.

(A third option that I'm not seriously considering is to send the 350D to Canon to clean and adjust, and then send it to Katz-eye to install a better focusing screen... Maybe the most expensive solution of all the three)

Thanks in advance.
Best regards
Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me answer is quiet simple why not Pentax.

You can't mount following lenses on Pentax

Nikkor
Leica
Carl Zeiss
Rollei
Minolta Md
Exakta
Konica
Olympus Om
etc..

I definetly not buy any camera what can mount only a few lenses.

Olympus the most compatible DSLR!! Focus confirmation adapter available!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jes,
I feel sad you could not fix your 350D
Steve show us many nice shot with pentax, with precise focusing and nice color

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
For me answer is quiet simple why not Pentax.

You can't mount following lenses on Pentax

Nikkor
Leica
Carl Zeiss
Rollei
Minolta Md
Exakta
Konica
Olympus Om
etc..

I definetly not buy any camera what can mount only a few lenses.

Olympus the most compatible DSLR!! Focus confirmation adapter available!

Attila, your list is not completely right

Nikkor
Olympus OM
Carl Zeiss / Yashica
The above lens systems can be used in Pentax.

I am working on the Minolta MD and Leica R.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way to replace the mount , make permanent damage on a lens that is not my way. I understand your point of view because you have already a Pentax camera, but Jes stand before buy.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention about the difference in crop factor 1.5x vs. 2x between Pentax and Olympus. This should be the most important factor for me in deciding what body to go for. It seems impossible to have a real wide-angle manual focus lens with 4/3 in case you shoot landscape a lot. Take care.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes this is important if you shoot mainly landscapes. I shoot landscapes once a year and I am fine with a Tamron SP 17mm f3.5 lens and with film if really need wide angle.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
No way to replace the mount , make permanent damage on a lens that is not my way. I understand your point of view because you have already a Pentax camera, but Jes stand before buy.

Not really!!

The Nikkors can be mounted directly into P/K without any modification and infinity focus is natural.

The Yashica ML and Olympus OM mounts can be converted perfectly to P/K. Importantly, the procedure is completely reversible, not permanent damaged at all.

Regards.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But do with every lenses what you have ? I don't think so Pentax better with this difference than Olympus or Canon.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jes
You should try them both first. It is true that we have seen many nice pics here from both of the cameras you mention. Only after playing with both will you know which is best. One thing I think is very important is auto sensor cleaning. IS is a nice feature but not nearly as important as cleaning. Also even though it is new to me, the 40D is maybe worth waiting and spending a little more for. In getting to know mine better. The live view feature is great with MF lenses. It is not something to use all the time. But if you do some macro work or use a shift lens it's amazing. The 3" screen set to 10X magnification you can see micro focusing detail. At first I thought the live view is silly, now I can see it is very usefull. Very much worth a look. Of course other cams that cost less also have this feature (olympus?) maybe someone else has some experience with them.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that a camera should match the lenses that somebody has in the most possible natural way.

If someone is happy with only M42 lenses (which is perfectly possible as M42 lenses can offer complete setups of excellent quality), or with M42 and Nikkor lenses which I read here are compatible without modifications (and I must trust you guys on this), then Pentax is as good choice as Canon or Olympus.

If instead someone likes to xperiment with different lenses like Rollei lenses for instance, or if someone wants to rely on the use of Contax-Yashica lenses, or the also excellent Zuiko range of lenses, then in my opinion it makes no sense to buy a Pentax camera, and have to subsequently face a series of surgery on lenses that might be reversible, but also might damage the lenses and waste investment, while there are available excellent options of Canon and Olympus cameras that can use those lenses with only a simple adapter and no risk to your investment or your equipment.

Say that Contax lenses are important for you: would you spend 400 Euros on a Hollywood Distagon, or 600 Euros on a Makro-Planar, and risk a surgery on them just for mounting them on a Pentax camera, making it impossible (besides the inherent risk) to use them on Contax film cameras anymore?

Would you spend 300 or 400 Euros on a Zuiko 18mm, to risk a surgery on it just to mount it on a Pentax camera?

Maybe very rich people would do it, but I don't think that any common photographer on a sound mind would do this.

So in my opinion if these lenses are important (or other lenses like Rollei or Leica), then a Canon or Olympus camera are the only logical choices for the health of both your equipment and your wallet.

If instead one is happy with M42 and Nikkor lenses and don't feel the need for anything else, then Pentax is a choice as good as Canon or Olympus.

-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio makes an excellent point. Use of Contax and Yashica lenses alone makes Canon and Olympus the only choices.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Orio makes an excellent point. Use of Contax and Yashica lenses alone makes Canon and Olympus the only choices.

I also forgot to mention the resale value. What resale value would have a Hollywood Distagon that was modified to a Pentax mount?
Much less, to start with the simple fact that it would narrow the customer base (Canon + Olympus + Contax users are surely a higher number than Pentax users alone).
But even if the surgery was reversed... would I spend 400 or 500 Euros on a Contax lens that was surgered, then reverse resurgered?
Sorry, no way. Too many things can go wrong with lens surgery. The most common being loss of precision on focus scale. Then also loss of precision of the mount, loss of precision of electrical contacts on original mount, less stable mount... dust inside mechanism. I would probably not even spend half the used price of the model on such a lens.
So in the moment you start surgery on a lens, you must take in to account that the resale value will drop of at least half the value if not more, even in the eventuality that the surgery goes 100% ok - which you can never have the certainty about.

And all this hassle, and loss of investment, just to save 500 Euros on the purchase of a brand new 400D? Or even less for an Olympus 3/4?
I really can not see any rational reason to go that way.
-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio,

I agree with your first opinion: Make the decision on what lenses you currently have.

However, I don't have the same thinking about the sencond point: resale value for surgered lenses. As I said, the lens mount conversion is completely reversible. All I do is just swapping lens mount. If you want to resale the lens, only thing you need to do is to swap back the C/Y, Olympus mount and sell it as C/Y, Olympus lens.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtriky wrote:

However, I don't have the same thinking about the sencond point: resale value for surgered lenses. As I said, the lens mount conversion is completely reversible. All I do is just swapping lens mount. If you want to resale the lens, only thing you need to do is to swap back the C/Y, Olympus mount and sell it as C/Y, Olympus lens.

I hope you will not take it as personal offense, xtriky, but I am (alas!) a Contax collectioner, and while I would spend 400 Euros on an original state Distagon, I will never spend 400 Euros on a Distagon that you (or anyone else for that matter) has forced twice to first accept a new mount, then to revert it to the old.

Even if you claim the mounts surgery as completely reversible, still, to remove old mount and attach new mount, you surely must perform some hardware action on the lens, even if just to drill a hole for a necessary screw to fit in the new mount.

Well I speak personally, but I am sure to interpret the thoughts of many: I am not ready to invest a lot of money on a lens that has been operated in this or any other way by someone that is not a technician of the house that produced the lens (and even then I would hesitate). If I have to spend big money on a lens, I want to invest in in a lens that is as close to it's original state as possible.

Not only because I like to have my lens look untouched and original, not only because I am afraid that lens settings might have been even if just slightly offset, but also because I don't want to spend a lot of money on a lens that, because of its condition, will be much harder to sell afterwards, to both normal users and collectioners.
All of which bla-bla I could probably synthesize in just three words: high-risk investment.

Perhaps I would spend 40 Euros on a surgered lens, as limit of acceptable risk, certainly not the original 400 Euros value.

-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio,

Your discussion is fine. I don't see any personal offense at all. Actually, I always like to disscuss and share ideas. By doing so, I can see different interesting ideas from other persons that I can not see by myself. So you are welcomed.

You and I are kind of different. I confess myself that I am little toward practical & guru type while you are more like collector type. I don't care much about the outlook of the lens as long as it can do what I want. I also like doing experiment and happy to do something that others say "can not". As a collector type, you love lenses with perfect looking & working condition. Nothing wrong with that but just not my type so I don't care. This is really personal so I think we're better set it aside or it will lead to a never ending argument. But it should be helpful for Jesito to see what type he is in and what he need to do.

We would like to remind and orient our talk toward Jesito situation. He is in financial constraint. Do you think he should have a hard time to decide which cheap DSLR body (K100D or E300) to buy if he has money to buy Contax lenses?

My suggestions to Jesitio are:
1. Take a look at your current lens collection
2. What is your favorite shooting style (landscape, portrait, wild-life...)?
3. Check your wallet and buy the best you can.

Just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that Pentax is the only camera that will allow the user to use the focus confirmation feature right out of the box with any lens (no need for any "magic Chinese chip" or other wizardry).

A K110D or K10D will give the additional benefit of built-in shake reduction -- so useful with those old lenses with modest max aperture.

Between all the crop format cameras, Pentax (as well as Nikon and Sony) gives the smallest "crop factor" of 1.5, vs. 1.6 for Canon and 2.0 for Olympus. My widest rectilinear lens, the Tamron 17mm, becomes a 25.5mm on a Pentax, which is still reasonably wide, instead of a 34mm on an Olympus, which would turn it into a normal-wide lens.

Last but not least, the smaller the sensor, the narrower the dynamic range: it's much easier to blow the highlights on a four thirds sensor than on an APS-C sensor.

Cheers,

Abbazz

Last edited by Abbazz on Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:18 am; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've held an Olympus in a shop a few times. All the times I was afraid to drop it, for me it's a lot easier to hold a Pentax firmly with one hand as an Olympus. For my style of shooting that's very important.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtriky wrote:

We would like to remind and orient our talk toward Jesito situation. He is in financial constraint. Do you think he should have a hard time to decide which cheap DSLR body (K100D or E300) to buy if he has money to buy Contax lenses?

No of course but I thought that the discussion sort of slipped into a more general debate rahter than related to Jes' specific situation.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Pentax (K100D and K10D) you will have:
-shake reduction with any lenses (as mentined before)
-focus confirmation with any lenses (same)
The lenses you can mount (WITH ADAPTER) on Pentax are:
M42 lenses
T2 lenses
medium format lenses (including Pentax 645 and Pentax 67 for which I think Pentax itself made adapters, like for M42)
and of course K Pentax lenses (without adapter!).
In this table are the compatibilities between different K Pentax lenses and cameras:
http://www.mosphotos.com/PentaxLensCompatibility.html
(PDF: http://www.mosphotos.com/PentaxLensCompatibility.pdf )
With lenses which have KA mount (with letter A on the aperture ring) yoz can use them with all exposure modes the camera works (M, Av, Tv and for K10D Sv ...)
As I know, Nikon F lenses can be mounted if they are pre-AI lenses (with out adapter).
If you have (or intend to buy) Contax/Yashica lenses, Leica R lenses, other Nikkor lenses, ... than I would choose Canon * (400D?) having a smaller crop factor than Oly but if you preffer more tele, then Oly is ok too. Now, for both are for sale adapters with focus confirmation and for Oly E-510 even shake reduction.
If you have the opportunity to go to a store and try the it woulb be even better. I recommend this.

I have a Pentax K100D of which I am very sadisfied but, again, I have only M42 and K Pentax lenses (the most expensive lens I bought is the AF 80-320 for about 100 euros and the most expensive manual lens is the Flektogon around 32-34 euros). Now, I have, more or less, all I need (see signature) so only if I'll found a bargain I might buy it (the lens) Smile

Note * Because I don't have too good skills in repairing-fixing-modifying lenses Sad

PS. Jes, if you want samples (full 6Mpx - Jpeg and/or RAW) made with Pentax K100D just send me a message.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtriky wrote:

Don't forget Yashica lenses that share the same mount. Some of them are just nice and still cheap.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

niblue wrote:
As someone who has just put together a cheap system to use (rather than as a collection) then my view is that restricting yourself to K-mount and M42 hasn't been a significant problem. Given I had Pentax kit anyway then sticking with it was the obvious choice, however I've found that both my Pentax DSLR's (K10D and *istDS) work very well with older lenses.

Don't forget that Jes already has a Contax Planar 1.7/50 that he used and was happy with.
My suggestion to him is that he stays with Canon. He can use all his existing lenses and the difference of crop factor between Canon and Pentax (1.6 vs. 1.5) is nearly meaningless.

Not to mention the fact that he already has adaptors for Canon.
-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Jes doesn't want a Canon anymore because of focus problem.
The question is are the pentax and olympus precise right out of the box.
Steve show a lot of perfect shots wide open.
I check my canon's & contax's film camera and the screen is exact.
My film EOS3 is also top punctual on for AF confirm, on the 400D the area of focus is more wide.
It seem that consumer dslr Canon are designed only for AF lenses and don't care about manual focus.
I hope they change philosophy from 40D because I want to stay with Canon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
Don't forget that Pentax is the only camera that will allow the user to use the focus confirmation feature right out of the box with any lens (no need for any "magic Chinese chip" or other wizardry)....

I guess, Nikon DSLR can do that, too. But I am not sure...

Allow me to add my 2c:

Forget about the difference between 6 and 8 MPix. You won't see a difference...

Olympus makes great cams and the short register distance is a fantastic advantage if you want to adapt manual lenses, but: I totally agree with niblue. A crop factor of 2 is lethal for my wide angle preference.
Thus I would not buy a 4/3 cam, sorry.

I do not really need (and do not want to pay the money for) a full frame cam, my dream cam would be an EF-S compatible EOS with a 1.3crop sensor! Of course with a stabilized body and perhaps some dust reduction.
Unfortunately, this dream will never come true.
Even if Canon decides to offer a 1.3crop cam that is EF-S compatible (which the 1D -no s - series is not) it will not be stabilized, since Canon decided to stabilize the lenses, not the cam. And they want to sell there glass...

Why is EF-S compatibility so important to me?
1. Because I own two excellent AF lenses (yes, this exists!) which are EF-S and
2. EF-S compatible cams will not have mirror issues with old lenses. Wink

So a perfect MF-DSLR would IMHO look like this:

- 1.3 crop sensor (with e.g. 10 MPix)
- EOS EF-S mount and mirror
- sensor anti-vibration
- dust protection
- solid body
- real TTL measurement
- spilt screen finder
- focus confirmation
... all for under € 800,-

Forget about "live view" and tiltable displays - nonsense in my eyes.

OK, it's just a dream!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
So a perfect MF-DSLR would IMHO look like this:

- 1.3 crop sensor (with e.g. 10 MPix)
- EOS EF-S mount and mirror
- sensor anti-vibration
- dust protection
- solid body
- real TTL measurement
- spilt screen finder
- focus confirmation
... all for under € 800,-

Forget about "live view" and tiltable displays - nonsense in my eyes.

OK, it's just a dream!

Well, if we exclude the first two you got a Pentax K10D Smile (but have to buy the split screen though). - small tutorial of how to change it: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?p=29512#29512

I, would like the Pentax K10D (with all features it has now) but with the Canon's EOS 5D sensor and thats it (or other very low noise FF sensor).
I can mount , I think any, M42 lens on a Pentax SLR (film) not only APS-C sensor ones. So no hitting mirror problem. I tried the APS-C sensor dedicated Pentax-DA lens on a Pentax film (so, a full frame) camera and I had no problem at all (except some heavy vignetting at the wide end of the zoom).