Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Just to be sure... (Pentax woes)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...it's just a pity that the EOS mount is so important to me. Wink

Actually, I was thinking about updating my 350D with a K10D, since I believe this is a fantastic cam!
But, I have got so many EOS-adapters meanwhile and only a few lenses I easily could mount at the K10D (it is not that nice to work with M42-PK-adapters, in my experience).

Still, when I saw a K100D for only € 399,- (incl. the kit lens!!), I started to think again...

(But then I decided to stick to my 350D, it still works perfectly and a Pentax could never replace it, but only complement it.)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love a K10D for the image stabylizer.
But having a different brand camera would cause significant colour inconsistencies when shooting the same event with cameras from two different brands.
Anyway, aside from the image stabilizer, I can not find any other advantage for a Canon user in moving from Canon to Pentax.
-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I guess right, anybody's waiting for the ZENIT-408 DC to come... Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flor27 wrote:
If I guess right, anybody's waiting for the ZENIT-408 DC to come... Laughing

Ideally, I would love 5 or 6 cameras in addition to my current two:

- the updated 5D II when it is released
- a K10D for the image stabylizer
- an Olympus 3/4 for the compatibility with Minolta and Canon FD lenses
- and a couple of Zenits of course because they are Russian and because they are full frame Very Happy

But living in the real world, and not into dreams, I stay with Canon, that at the present moment, is the best compromise between lens compatibility, image quality, crop factor and price.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
...But living in the real world, and not into dreams, I stay with Canon, that at the present moment, is the best compromise between lens compatibility, image quality, crop factor and price.

100% agreed!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Colleagues.

In first place, a big thanks to all of us for answering my query,
I didn't want to raise a flame war, but anyway these nice and documented comments have helped me alot to take some decissions.

But first I'd like to state my starting points:

-Lenses: Most of my lenses are M42, but for three: The CZJ Plannar 50mm 1.7, and the two Tamron zooms, 35-135 and 75-210. I got also a 50mm 1.8 Fuji and a 50mm 1.8 MD (Minolta).

- Bodies: 350D, Minolta X-300, Fuji STX-II and Zenith 122.

- Adapters: M42 to EOS body with focus confirmation, M39 to EOS body, M42 to Minolta, M42 to Fuji, Tamron to EOS, Tamron to Minolta, Tamron to Fuji, and Yashica/Contax to EOS Body.

So I can use all my M42 lenses in any of the bodies, the two Tamrons on all but the Zenith, and the CZJ just on the Canon. The Canon can use all the lenses (but not the Fuji & Minolta 50mm).

All in all the best solution would be to get back the 350D to its stable status, but this means to bring it to the technical service, (and this would cost more than 200€...). I disassembled yesterday the focus screen and I noticed the shim was somewhat folded, a little protuberance that maybe is the culprit of all the bad focusing. Not sure if I could fix it by myself. I know there are different shim thicknesses for the 350D, and I don't know where to find one. Anyway it would be a pity to waste such a nice camera... So if I finally decide to keep it, It should pass through the technical service anyway.

If money were not a constraint, I'd go for a 40D, I've been told there are official focusing screens from Canon.

Pentax seems a good option for the M42 lenses (because the focusing confirmation), but as Orio said, I would like to use my flagship lens (CZJ Plannar)...

A cheap Oly E-300 could be a nicer alternative, could do a great compact camera with the Industar 50. (This still tempts me!).

I'm still in a sea of doubts, but common sense tells me to bring the 350D to repair and to wait for better times to get a D40 (or maybe a 5D) body...

Thanks a lot again to everybody that answered.
Best regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

niblue wrote:
Jesito wrote:
A cheap Oly E-300 could be a nicer alternative, could do a great compact camera with the Industar 50. (This still tempts me!).

It'd be a compact camera with a 100mm equivalent lens however, which is quite limiting!

Didn't think about this... You're right. Would be a good portrait compact... Wink

Best regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
But do with every lenses what you have ? I don't think so Pentax better with this difference than Olympus or Canon.

Hi again!

I'm a bit puzzled, and hope you can help? I've seen a great deal about lens adapters modded to give focus confirmation, including those for the Olympus e330 and e300? I have (amongst many!) a Pansonic L1 which has much in common with the e330, and that seems to give focus confirmation with every lens I've tried (Pentax AF used as manual, Tamron Sp's etc. all with a Pentax KA to 4/3 adapter that has no chip on it? Am I right in thinking that the Olympus does not give focus confirmation or??? I'd appreciate any help? many many thanks in advance... Smile Question Smile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nemesis101 wrote:
Am I right in thinking that the Olympus does not give focus confirmation or??? I'd appreciate any help? many many thanks in advance... Smile Question Smile

I'm not an Olympus user, but from what I gather the Oly E-series don't give FC unless you get a Dandelion adapter (do a search on here for poster VGR, who has a connection to it). I'm not sure whether IS in the E-510 needs the adapter for it to be enabled; maybe, maybe not.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all Olympus E-xx model has disabled focus confirmation in default. Adapter made by VGR support all modell except E-1 temporarily.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
For all Olympus E-xx model has disabled focus confirmation in default. Adapter made by VGR support all modell except E-1 temporarily.

Aha! Thanks for the info! I wonder why Olympus did that? With my Panasonic L1 (same as Leica Digilux 3) it does give focus confirmation but sometimes, with my wearing eyeglasses, it's hard to see the green dot in the viewfinder that indicates this. If it was below the main scene rather than at the extreme right it would help! I am very impressed by much of the 4/3 system, only the rather narrow and dim viewfinder on the Panasonic, and rather more noise above 400 asa are disappointing. With both my Canons (10D and 30D) and the Pentaxes (IstD, IstDL and K10D) the noise issue is a bit of a non ecent. The canons seems to 'over smooth' to get rid of it, but the Pentax seems just to avoid it, albeit with sometimes erratic exposure on some shots, especially with MF lenses that are non-Pentax-A. The IstD seems, somehow, to do better with exposure all round? Surprised

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disabled, to push people to buy AF lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Disabled Focus Confirm Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Disabled, to push people to buy AF lenses.

Thanks, you are truly a mine of information! I'm glad that Panasonic didn't go the disabled route then! I was moaning about the lack of screen tilt on the Panasonic, but given it has focus confirmation I'll just thank my blessings! Now if it had image stabilisation like my Pentax or the 510 / 520... Hmmm Smile The "standard' Leica lens for the L1 has in-built stabilisation, but not the body Sad

Last edited by nemesis101 on Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VGR made adapter offer focus confirmation and image stabilizer on some models for Olympus owners only for 40 USD /adapter. So we have great solution to solve focusing problems.

http://oly43club.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=229&pid=2913&st=0%EF%BF%BDentry2913