Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

[Help] Is this a bad copy of Nokton?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: [Help] Is this a bad copy of Nokton? Reply with quote

Apologies for opening a new topic, but this is really important to me, as I spent lots of money on this lens. Can somebody with the same lens confirm if this is normal while wide open?

Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f1.4 Leica M Mount on GH1 @1.4 ISO100

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Difficult to say anything with this picture.

Could you take a picture of a plate surface ?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, your web resized photo shows wrong white balance and the effect of shallow depth of field. What did you expect of this composition and out-of-camera results?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the problem?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
What's the problem?

I think the bokeh is less than desirable...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
What's the problem?

One thing that is bothering me is that there is no sharp area in the left part of the image, where focus plane crosses wood chips on the ground. While it seems like the right side is more in-focus.
Another thing is large amount of lateral CA.
All together seems like abnormal for a 400 dollar M-mount glass...

--
Michael

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michael,
You may visit the following site to get a test chart for a quick test of your lens. Be sure read the site carefullybefore your testing of your lens.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/cameras/1ds3_af_micoadjustment.html

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Hi Michael,
You may visit the following site to get a test chart for a quick test of your lens. Be sure read the site carefullybefore your testing of your lens.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/cameras/1ds3_af_micoadjustment.html

Thanks! Very interesting article. But it looks like the method they propose is destined for adjusting auto-focus systems.

Anyways, I've tried the lens on the pattern and a flat subject.
I did not find any asymmetry in the lens performance. Seems like it is just plain soft on the edges up until 8. Center is sharp from 2.8 and even 2.0 is still sharp.

Should probably note that I'm enjoying the lens, especially for closeup portraits. Even at 4 DOF is still shallow and focusing requires great attention.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens may not have a very smooth bokeh, but the sharpness is
good enough to me. Your sample does not seem to represent its
capability. See my samples (please see them in large size), and
compare yours. Sorry not uploading mine into here (too early this morning)..

My samples> http://www.pbase.com/kkawakami/cv_nokton_classic_40mm_f14

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

koji wrote:
This lens may not have a very smooth bokeh, but the sharpness is
good enough to me. Your sample does not seem to represent its
capability. See my samples (please see them in large size), and
compare yours. Sorry not uploading mine into here (too early this morning)..

My samples> http://www.pbase.com/kkawakami/cv_nokton_classic_40mm_f14

koji,

Thanks for sharing the samples! It is really hard to tell if you copy is different, so I'm guessing it's just me worrying for nothing.
Not sure if you've seen how Canon EF 50/1.4 compares in the same conditions
http://forum.mflenses.com/yet-another-quick-50mm-test-nokton-40-1-4-vs-ef-50-1-4-t30268.html
But, it seems for me that either Nokton 40/1.4 is not that sharp, or larger sensor makes lenses look a lot sharper...

--
Michael

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is hard to tell from your samples in the other thread with Canon EF 50/1.4,
images should clearly show its plane of focus. More silly samples>

First two with Panasonic GF1 (both @f1.4) because of digital censor looks sharp>

100% crop

And the second set with Fuji Reala (both @f1.4) with Leica M2 >

Bokeh varies depending on distance of subject and background, at f2 the lens behaves better in this bokeh department.

Last edited by koji on Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mutabot wrote:
calvin83 wrote:
Hi Michael,

Thanks! Very interesting article. But it looks like the method they propose is destined for adjusting auto-focus systems.

Anyways, I've tried the lens on the pattern and a flat subject.
I did not find any asymmetry in the lens performance. Seems like it is just plain soft on the edges up until 8. Center is sharp from 2.8 and even 2.0 is still sharp.

Should probably note that I'm enjoying the lens, especially for closeup portraits. Even at 4 DOF is still shallow and focusing requires great attention.

If you follow the exact procedure, your lens element should be well aligned. Any misalignment will cause asymmetry of the circles in the the camera screen.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:

If you follow the exact procedure, your lens element should be well aligned. Any misalignment will cause asymmetry of the circles in the the camera screen.

If one can align sensor plane and the screen exactly. The article only they say:
Quote:

Take some care to get the screen square on and lined up with the camera.

Maybe it's just me, but I failed to align sensor with the screen. I'm thinking that using ruler should help, I'll try one more time later.