Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Graflex Speed Graphic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:05 am    Post subject: Graflex Speed Graphic Reply with quote

Anyone around here use one of these? I was offered a chance to buy one for what I would consider a great bargain. I haven't seen it yet, but plan on seeing it the next week or so.

This thing would be totally new territory to me and wouldn't have any clue on using it or anything.

I hope this is in the right section.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one (and a Meridian field camera also), but I haven't used it in a very long time. I gave up on my darkroom, all my tanks and chemicals.

What do you want to know ? This could be quite an education in film development, as that question tends to come up with this class of camera.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one too. The main advantage , for me, is the focal plane shutter... so many more lenses to choose from.. Smile
You do have to get your hands wet though, and find a lot of time to print... or scan of course.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm planning on learning film developing. I'm going to take a class at school next summer.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally picked this thing up. I'd say it's in very good condition for the age of it.

Now I just need to figure out how to use this thing...so far I'm clueless...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely used looking, with a bit of history. Weegee's pics on Speed Graphics always stuck in my mind - amazing stuff and you wouldn't believe they were taken on something that looks so unwieldy. I've heard they are actually quite easy to get the hang of, at least to produce usable results. Great results will take a little longer, of course.
I look forward to seeing some pics from it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! I love to see some pictures taken with this camera also nice to see if somebody share his personal experience with this camera. I don't know much about from large format.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a camera that I'll buy sooner or later. They're practical large format for a walk, and the focal plane shutter means you can use 19th century barrel lenses with ease.

Problem is that prices of decent ones (alas not terribly worn out by spending 50 years in a damp cellar) are skyrocketing and almost all are located in the States (so high shipment prices because of the weight plus the customs).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice !

You have a solenoid (electrical) release for the lens shutter, thats a cool gadget. Its used to fire the shutter and flash simultaneously. You get flash sync at all speeds if you use that one. You will need a battery pack/flashgun (the thing used to make "Star Wars" lightsabers) and the proper cable. That flashgun also makes a good grip for the camera. I have seen electronic flash interfaces on some of these, but its possible to make one out of an old flash cord.

Check the focal plane shutter speed, these are usually OK but the timing is almost certainly off. You will also want to check the shutter curtain for pinholes.

I'm willing to bet the Kalart rangefinder is set for the lens, this would have been a factory setting for the standard lens you have - 127mm Optar. If you put in another lens you will have to adjut the rangefinder. You can test this - focus to infinity using the rangefinder and check the image (of an object at infinity) on the groundglass. You will want a dark cloth to do the groundglass stuff btw, and the image will be reversed.

If you are going to use this press-camera (WeeGee) style, you will be using the rangefinder - or zone-focusing - and the wire-frame viewfinder/rear peep with the flash gun and the solenoid release.

Pinholes on the bellows are another big issue. I used black acrylic paint to fix these, there are lots of other ways.
-----------
I just checked - your Graphex shutter does indeed have an electronic flash setting. You will just need to rig a cord.