Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Folder 6x6, 6x9, 6x4.5? from back
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Folder 6x6, 6x9, 6x4.5? from back Reply with quote

I am seeing a lot of folding cameras with this type of back. What size photos would they take?
I have seen a post explaining this, but can not find it again. Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's Welta Weltax , 6x6 camera that can shoot 6x4,5 with appropriate mask
http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Welta_Weltax

http://www.jnoir.eu/en/cameras/welta/weltax/

6x9 folders are usually longer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:

6x9 folders are usually longer

Okay, like this Beirax?

Why are the red frame number viewers in different places?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a 6 x 4.5 mask in there. Double the exposures at the cost of smaller negative size. One window for 6x9, the other for 6x4.5.

Phil

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PWhite214 wrote:
Looks like a 6 x 4.5 mask in there. Double the exposures at the cost of smaller negative size. One window for 6x9, the other for 6x4.5.

Phil

I see, and there are numbers showing in the window according to what size photo you take?
Would that switch be for changing between the two sizes?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:

Why are the red frame number viewers in different places?

on the backing paper of the 120 film are frame numbers for different medium formats 6x6,6x9,6x7,6x4,5 , you use red viewer for frame advancement according to the format you are shooting. for example my Zeiss Ikon Nettar 6x4,5 has 2 red viewer windows in line to prevent overlapping of frames and double exposure. other folder cameras have one red window. if camera is able to do more medium formats (usually with use of masks) then it has more red windows in different places.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:

that switch is for opening and closing cover on the red windows, because not all films have paper backing like 220 film i'm currently using in my nettar. if red windows would be open with that film you would end up with black dots on the film sized like those red windows

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very common, very good , I have several with different lenses. Weltax

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:
uddhava wrote:

that switch is for opening and closing cover on the red windows, because not all films have paper backing like 220 film i'm currently using in my nettar. if red windows would be open with that film you would end up with black dots on the film sized like those red windows

Thanks. So then to take different size photos I guess you just open the camera and take out or put in an insert.
Then if I was to buy one I would have to make sure the inserts are included?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Very common, very good , I have several with different lenses. Weltax

Thank you for information, Attila.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:

Thanks. So then to take different size photos I guess you just open the camera and take out or put in an insert.

yes, because often those inserts are lost

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:
uddhava wrote:

yes, because often those inserts are lost

Thank you very much.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:
uddhava wrote:

These were mostly made before 220 existed - so the red window covers were a precautionary measure to avoid fogging in case a film's backing paper wasn't as good as it should have been. It must have been a common problem.
A camera designed in the 1960s to take 220 usually had no rear windows at all, and a normal frame-advance mechanism did the job. Offhand, I can't think of a proper 220-capable camera with red windows.
I quite miss 220 - really wish it was still made.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have actually tried 220 film (bought a box of old color 220 ISO 160 some years ago) and used it in a Franka folder as well as my old Rollei.

The Franka had the cover for the red window and I went the extra step of taping over it, but the truth is you still need the backing paper as the camera cover was not light-tight enough to handle 220 film.
I posted some of the results with massive light leaks. They were interesting.
Flamingos in Hell I called it.

http://forum.mflenses.com/franka-rollfix-schneider-radionar-prontor-and-lightleaks-t17647,highlight,%2Bfranka.html