Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Dollonds - S. 200mm f3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Dollonds - S. 200mm f3.5 Reply with quote

Yet another odd lens from the camera fair, I can't seem to resist these unloved orphans. Rolling Eyes

I have heard of Dollands lenses before, but never seen one or knew if they were good, bad or indifferent. So seeing this 200 / 3.5 in a box of junk for £2 I had to have it. The lens is actually in perfect condition, if I had the box I would call it mint.
It's compact, fully extended it's 140 mm to the mount, the front filter ring is 67 mm and it weighs 650 g. It's a solid, traditionally built all metal lens of very nice quality.
The aperture has 18 blades, yes....18, that's a lot of blades and just about a perfectly circular aperture.
I think the lens is a Tokina built one, Dollands seem to have some history of lenses and optics but they eventually became Dollands & Aitchison the high street opticians.

I haven't used it very much, maybe 30 pictures so far, but I am impressed with it. I love the size - it's good on the NEX. And so far the sharpness and contrast have been way better than I thought they might be from an unknown lens.

All the pictures have been auto adjusted in Elements 6, but no sharpening or other PP at all.

It's a keeper. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad at all!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early Tokina ? Usually these are good enough equal level or even better than 200mm f3.5 Takumar!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find Dave.

A point of interest:
When I worked in Manchester there was a Dollonds on the corner of King St and Deansgate. They sold the binoculars (West German Zeiss) that Peter Sutcliffe used. I digress. There was a Dollond and Aitcheson optician next door - or close by. When I asked the manager of the shop if hey were related he said they were not connected. so..

Anyway, they certainly had some unique lenses. I think any shop could have their name put on them. When I worked at Lomax (2 mins from Dollonds) they had a line of lenses and binoculars called Maxlo. And they only owned 2 shops. I think they were Soligor made.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost identical to the first Vivitar 200/3.5 preset, even to the unique aperture blade mechanism.
I suspect Kino/Kiron made the whole series, but who knows.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Takumar 200 / 4, and 200's from Photax 3.5 - Cosina ? , a Prinzflex 3.5 - Sun ?, Soligor 4.5 - Tokina ? so I'll have a shoot out, but I suspect this Dolland might surprise me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I have the Takumar 200 / 4, and 200's from Photax 3.5 - Cosina ? , a Prinzflex 3.5 - Sun ?, Soligor 4.5 - Tokina ? so I'll have a shoot out, but I suspect this Dolland might surprise me.

It'd be nice to compare it against my Rokkor 200 f3.5. I've ditched all my other 200's now as the Rokkor beats the crap out of them.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
Lloydy wrote:

It'd be nice to compare it against my Rokkor 200 f3.5. I've ditched all my other 200's now as the Rokkor beats the crap out of them.

I do like Rokkors........ Cool

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a preset Dollonds 135mm 3.5 lens once ... it was in like new condition, loads of aperture blades. It was very tiny and really nice to look at. Optically it was quite decent.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Luis says, this is identical in appearance to the early Vivitars of which I have the 85/1.8.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's exactly the same as the Vivitar, there's some more information in this old topic.

http://forum.mflenses.com/vivitar-200mm-f3-5-t30327.html

And almost certainly a Tokina made lens.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic also applies: http://forum.mflenses.com/mistery-lenses-collection-t23606.html

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some days I just grab lenses at random , and once I've chosen that lens I'll stick with it, today it was this Dollonds. It's a lens I like and know is good, but one I rarely use. I hadn't got much time so I just walked to the churchyard and enjoyed the last hour of sun.
I came home with a lot of pictures, nearly all were decent - the hit rate using this lens is good. Here's the best of the bunch, all at ISO 400 and mostly f4, maybe 3.5 - I don't keep check but it wasn't less than 4. No PP at all.

I really should use this lens more. Cool

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colors similar to my 1.8/85mm Vivitar T2. See the Meyer 1.5/135mm for possible manufacturer ID as early SIGMA:
http://forum.mflenses.com/carl-meyer-135-1-5-t65295.html