Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 200mm F3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Vivitar 200mm F3.5 Reply with quote

Hi

I tried to find Series one for a reasonable prize, but they were quite wanted. So have to manage with that. First impression were easy to focus and enormous close focus distance. I have to buy bigger flat...

Pictures here:
http://zeieizh.kuvat.fi/kuvat/Vivitar+200mm+f3,5/

There are full 15mpix picture under the link "näytä alkuperäinen kuva". It's Finnish and means "show original picture".

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have several Vivitar 200 f/3.5's and they are all good performers. Very well built and quite sharp from 4.0 and up.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I were outside and took lot's of pictures with it. Solid performer. Not top, but easy and feels good in hand. I may suffer from EOS adapter.

Every image ISO400 and F8

As a compairing, Sigma 28mm EF DG 1:2 macro f1.8. ISO400, f5

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice indeed.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Big Dawg.

Two more, with 50mm adding.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Vivitar 200mm f/3.5 almost identical to the one in your first photo -- even Canon FD mount. It is a very well made lens, big and heavy. I've tested it out and compared it with my Canon New FD 200mm f/4 -- a tack-sharp optic that often goes overlooked cuz it's "only" an f/4 -- and it is on par with the Canon.

I see you have it mounted to an EOS with the FD-EOS adapter. Does your adapter have the glass element? Were these pics taken with that adapter? i have one with the element, and I've found it actually works quite well with lenses that are at least f/2.8 and slower. Not very well at all with fast lenses -- lots of flare. My adapter's glass element is removable, but I haven't yet used it without the glass. Probably should give it a try, cuz I'll likely be able to do some nice macro work with it.

Last edited by cooltouch on Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:46 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi cooltouch

Yes, It does have a glass element. And pictures were taken with it.

I have to find and try that Canon prime also.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A rather different Tele Vivitar 200/3.5, T1 mount with M42 adapter, preset aperture with 18 iris blades, weighs 640g, a solid chunk of steel and glass:

Those 18 blades give it bookoo bokeh, but if the OOF background contains point lights or reflections, they turn into glowing circles. Oh yeah, close focus is about 3.5m / 11 feet. Filter diameter is 67mm.

Anyway, I've seen references to many varieties of Vivitar 200/3.5 glass, but none to this particular version. Does anyone here know about its vintage and make?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to gatherr my 200 3.5's up and photograph them. The jury is still out on who made the 200mm preset ones. Some with a serial number starting with 6 are thought to be Olympus made. Some of the others may be made by any of the many lens makers of the day.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. ZeiEizh.
That serial number is your lens? Or if you know fact that factory?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few of my 200mm f/3.5 Vivitars.

Out of time. More to come later.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Kino/Kiron made Auto Tele 200mm/3.5 that is a nice lens. My lens was likely made in 1979 or 1989. The only thing is it has 6 blades.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will help on Vivitar 35mm slr lenses manufactured from 1970-1990.

http://cameraquest.com/VivLensManuf.htm

It won't help much on the older T stuff and the presets.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Francotirador

I don't know the maker, but serial is... 28823157. 62mm thread.

I were shooting planes at EFHK. Weather was very sunny and warm. My pictures wend somehow hazy and had very much flare. Sharpness were acceptable, but whole outcome was very odd.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RioRico wrote:
A rather different Tele Vivitar 200/3.5, T1 mount with M42 adapter, preset aperture with 18 iris blades, weighs 640g, a solid chunk of steel and glass:

Those 18 blades give it bookoo bokeh, but if the OOF background contains point lights or reflections, they turn into glowing circles. Oh yeah, close focus is about 3.5m / 11 feet. Filter diameter is 67mm.

Anyway, I've seen references to many varieties of Vivitar 200/3.5 glass, but none to this particular version. Does anyone here know about its vintage and make?

This is the same style as my Vivitar 85/1.8, interesting (see monkey thread), interesting!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZeiEizh wrote:
Hi Francotirador

. . .

Based on the serial #, Komine made it in either 1978 or 1988.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ZeiEizh"]Hi Francotirador

I were shooting planes at EFHK. Weather was very sunny and warm. My pictures wend somehow hazy and had very much flare. Sharpness were acceptable, but whole outcome was very odd.

Those who begin with 28, are made by Komine. They say that it is the best of all.
You lose quality lens on the adapter with glass.
A 200mm should enable the change of mount, removing 2mm.

Congrats.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

francotirador wrote:

You lose quality lens on the adapter with glass.
A 200mm should enable the change of mount, removing 2mm.

Congrats.

Hi Francotirador

I wondered that too.

What do you mean by mount change? Back-lens closer to sensor, but how? Buying one without lens?

500mm goes way over infinity.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, you can not buy one without glass.
You must replace the mount. Canon FD, has a separation of 42mm, mount sensor. EOS works at 44mm distance, sensor mount
It is a job to do with a lathe. But I think that will have great difference.
Greetings

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I can buy it without lense and loose infinity until I figure out how to drop lens 2mm.

FEX=
http://www.enjoyyourcamera.com/Canon-Accessories/Lens-Mount-Adapter-Ring-without-compensation-lens-for-Canon-FD-on-Canon-EOS::652.html

Have to think it first.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you can never approach infinity, Macro you can only do.
Anyway to test the quality, if you can get the glass to your adapter will be the same.
Greetings.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I'll test and go to buy a body cap, from where I start modification. Smile

I'll put photos here, let's see then.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try out backlit, to see if there is less chromatic aberration and better highlights.
Greetings

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how much MY adapter affects. Both pictures from same distance, but hand held, and same apertures etc. F5,6; ISO400; 1/40sek.

With adapter on:

Without adapter:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big difference, right?
Explore if there is less chromatic aberration, I think there should be less.
Good luck with the tests.