Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contax RTS Jammed
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Contax RTS Jammed Reply with quote

Very ocasionally I take out my RTS and today was one of those times. I had the winder attached and all was fine - and then it jammed and wouldn't wind on. The rewind button seems to be stuck in, the wind on lever is stuck also.
I can't see anything obvious with the bottom off.
Any ideas anyone?
Am I now the proud owner of a piece of junk? Or is the an easy fix?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do things work without the winder attachment?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds very similar to the problem I had with a Spotmatic recently, the mirror hadn't latched and this stops the shutter firing. I found a similar problem with a Minolta too, so maybe it will apply to your camera - worth a try I would think. Here's the thread showing how to cure it.
http://forum.mflenses.com/jammed-spotmatic-t7169,highlight,jammed.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the camera/winder use a battery? I have had an Olympus OM10 jam in a manner similar to this, it needed the battery to operate correctly.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments.

The winder is off ( and works fine) but it's the camera that's stuck. The battery is OK.
Peter the mirror thing sounds good but the Contax looks a little different inside. I wonder which bit is connected to the mirror mechanism?
It seems to be the rewind button that's not popping back up and jamming the rest.
Any more thoughts? Here's a snap of bottom.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't brick the camera. I had this problem one time with the rewind button on a Yashica FR (same design). It was stuck in and after I took off the bottom I could see nothing to repair easily. All just as you described. I took it to my repair shop and the tech fixed it while assessing the problem (no charge). You should look at Peters link. If that does not solve it take it in to a good shop. This one should be an easy problem either way.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't know this camera at all so I can't give much help, but I'm sure Andy is right, it's a simple fix when you find it. Michael's thought about the battery was sensible, but if you can rule that out it certainly looks like a mechanical problem.

The rewind button was stuck in on the Spotmatic too, I don't think this is the cause, just a symptom. On the Pentax ME Super the latch is under a plate similar to the one in your pic, is there anything under it? There's got to be a lever or a ratchet somewhere that you can move, either to latch the mirror or to release the shutter. I can see several parts in your pic that might be it. Sorry I can't help more, it's frustrating for you.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Peter - yes terribly frustrating. If I remove that plate I suspect a dozen springs will fly....... I'll find some courage tomorrow!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been trying to find any info on this problem, I hope this is helpful:

The camera has a magnetic shutter release, which has to be the green solenoid coil in your picture. It looks like the lever below this in the picture has a centre pivot, and when this is rocked by the solenoid it should release the shutter manually.

I found this on the Camera Repair Forum:
"On all the [Yashica] FR series (and the Contax RTS) the release magnet is at the bottom on the rewind side. It is usually yellow or green. You can manually release the shutter there. If you can wind and release manually, you have an electrical problem. The self timer is mechanical but closes a switch to release the shutter. If it works, but the shutter release button does not, or is intermittent, you have isolated the problem to the release button switch."

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the fantastic info Peter. You're right on the mark about that switch but nothing happens when I try. Crying or Very sad
I think it must be something mechanical, but maybe deeper inside, that's jamming the rewind button. Whatever the answer it needs tearing down which would be fun but with little prospect of it going back together. It's a little more complex than the older stuff I usually play with. So it's in the box for now. I have a feeling another from ebay won't break the bank - unlike a repair bill!

Many thanks to all for your thoughts.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

has this problem been resolved? I'm having the same problem!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any luck with this? I'm having the same problem! (sorry if double posted)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No luck I'm afraid. Whatever caused the problem remains a mystery. I picked up a relatively cheap replacement quite easily - relative to the cost of getting it repaired that is. So if it's not an obvious fault I'd just get another.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool...thanks.

I'll keep an eye out for a replacement I think.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to fix the problem! I nudged a metal bit that was attached to one of the cogs (it doesn't appear to be on your pic?).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done !

Perhaps you've a photo of the magic bit?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: I think I have solved a similar(or the same problem) in mine Reply with quote

Ok. I bought one RTS on ebay because of the lens(planar 1.4) and the seller sold this one as defective because the winder was jammed.
At home I noticed that in fact, it wasn´t working, but I decided to buy a new battery and test it, you never know. Ok, didn´t work, so what? Let´s open the bottom an try to find out. With a small driver I was touching with care all thing that coud be a lever. And suddenly the shutter worked by himself!!! Wow! I try to wind it and now it was ok. But as soon as I try to press the shutter it was blocked again. I touch the same lever again and again it worked.
After this I pressed the film release button and he stayed down. And even if I open the back door he was down. Next move: with a coin I started to turn one piece in the left that is obvius it needed a coin to move. Suddenly something was unblocked, and I had the great feeling that I had solved the problem and in fact I did. I works very well now.
Conclusion: I don´t really remember the steps very well, but I will point in the picture above in this post the parts I touched. So, maybe with a little bit of luck and touching the same parts you will fix your. It was very easy for me, but i was very lucky, I had no idea of what I was doing,

So, the number 1 in the picture is the first piece I touched. Follow my arrow for the right movements. When I did this the shutter worked.
Wind again and try again.

After this press the film release button, he should stay down.

And in number 2 in the picture you will find the part I moved with a coin. After turning this one or two times to your right, turn it again to the left(initial position) Maybe you should touch in the number 1 (in the picture) again.

tRY AND do some variations, I did and it worked.

Good luck Razz [img][/img][img]
[/img]