Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contax G lens to micro 4/3 adapter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

received the first ContaxG to m4/3 adapter today.
The rest will arrive this weekend.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news!! I get to test it too!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, they have changed the lens release bottom to a handle too. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here's my brief review as I picked up the new Contax G to m4/3 adapter from Alex last night. Here's how it looks on my GF-1.

With my G45/2.0

With my G90/2.8

New adapter on GF-1

Older style adapter on GF-1

View of new adapter around my GF-1

Please excuse the hand held shots with my P&S in macro mode.

It takes only about 120 degree turn from MFD to infinity so it's definitely a geared setup. Inside the focus ring is an interior gear running to a much smaller one that links to the focus mechanism of the lens. Being that it is geared, more torque is needed to turn from MFD to infinity.

At first mounting, it felt a bit rough focusing. After turning from MFD to infinity a few times smoothed things out. Somehow this happens when you change lenses, and once the same routine is done, it becomes much smoother again.

The original Contax G1/G2 has a stepper motor (which is has accurate focus positioning), however to duplicate this with your hands is a bit more difficult. I find myself focusing back and forth on my subject a few times before I get it right with the focus assist on my GF-1. I guess I would have preferred if the drive gear to the focus mechanism was a bit bigger by 3-4 gears, that would mean you need to turn the focus ring more, but you should get a better 'feel'. I don't know if this is possible as it would make the adapter bigger in diameter and hence interoperating with the G1's (with built in viewfinders) an issue.

The new adapter also has a new lever for the lens release. The older one got in the way of the GF-1 lens release button and this is a welcomed change. Pressing down on the lever and twisting the lens locking ring will unmount your lens.

Overall, the adapter is well made and smooth if the above method of lend mounting is observed. It focuses a little past infinity, but I think that's in the G Lens rather than the adapter.

Note: I've noticed some funny bokeh which I've posted here

Last edited by wilson.c on Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Wilson for the quick review. I suppose it is unlikely the focusing ring can be made bigger and wider? I wonder where the bokeh came from, do you see it with other adapters as well?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's an issue with noise and JPG conversion. Will try again in RAW with the NR off to see if it's any better.

I think on the design of the adapter it's as good as it gets right now. I would like to see the gearing changed, but that may cause problems with a larger mount for the viewfinder m4/3 cameras like the G1, G10 etc.

If you give it some time, I am sure there will be a 3rd Gen version out in the near future Wink

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, this Contax G-Sonnar 90/2.8 has tendency to have such bokeh.

I have tested a similar (I think) situation, both at MFD and F2.8.

This one was shot at F5.6, it has "normal" bokeh.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also tested with C/Y Sonnar 85/2.8, which is similar lens as
G-Sonnar 90/2.8 many people say.

@f2.8 & MFD

@f5.6 & MFD

The both lenses have almost same MFD of 1m, so this Sonnar 85mm
also has very similar bokeh.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koji,

Thanks for the info. I'll try again by tweaking the camera functions and shooting RAW to see if it's better. It just seems funny the flowers in my test shot were uniform in the same color like someone did post processing with PhotoShop.

I'm getting my spare G90 for the M42 conversion (thanks to all your help online). It should arrive after the weekend Smile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koji,

It seems like the problem is with the GF-1's JPG engine. When it's converted it adds something to the bokeh to make it look funny.

Here's an update on that thread.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilson,

I am grad you found the cause of funny bokeh.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Orio puts it. Never judge a lens by the JPG the camera spits out.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you guys get your adapter yet? What are your thoughts? Test shots?

Another cloudy day in town X-(, not the best for photos.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still waiting for mine to arrive, hopefully it will be soon. It's always sunny over here Very Happy