Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Funny Bokeh - Contax G 90mm/2.8 and G 45/2.0
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Funny Bokeh - Contax G 90mm/2.8 and G 45/2.0 Reply with quote

I've got a new adapter with focusing ring from Alex earlier this week. A review is in the m4/3 section if you are interested.

How can I not try such a nicely balanced lens on my GF-1 with a new adapter? After some test shots in the garden, I noticed some funny bokeh in the background wide open for both lenses.

G 90/2.8 - wide open

G 45/2.0 - wide open

No Post Processing done, just resizing of the above photos. The bokeh looks like I used the smudge brush in PhotoShop and painted over the rear group of flowers.

Anyone have any experience with this on other lenses? Is it the lens? The camera? What do you think?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strange bokeh, try to disable noise reduction and sharpening in the GF-1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the G lenses (like almost anything Zeiss, Leica or Nikon) are sharp rather than soft rendering, and hence not really the top favourite of classic bokeh lovers, this is not the kind of bokeh they have, but rather some digital camera or RAW decoder software artefact. I agree that sharpening, denoising or JPEG coding are the likely culprit.

Last edited by Sevo on Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, I'll try again turning NR off and I'll shoot RAW this time instead of JPG.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Maybe is a side effect of the excess of light coming into the camera. 35mm lenses were thought for 35mm film, and we're using smaller sensors, so there is some spurious light coming into the camera chamber.

What we locally do is to setup what we call a "shirt" on black cardboard to reduce the base opening of the lens light entrance and reduce the spurious light. It may improve a lot the pictures taken with MFLenses.

(Picture from the spanish forum of "Encamisados")

The original article (in Spanish) is here: http://www.flickr.com/groups/los_encamisados/discuss/72157623448839682/?search=camisa

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never occur to me one can cloth the opening. A neat idea. Thanks for sharing, Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my_photography wrote:
Never occur to me one can cloth the opening. A neat idea. Thanks for sharing, Jes.

You're welcome. Differences are really signifiant whit lenses that have a bigger diameter than the sensor.

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went back to the same tree and the same flower to do a follow-up test. I shot both RAW and JPG and disabled the Noise Reduction on my GF-1.

G45 - wide open, MFD from JPG, same funny bokeh

G45 - wide open, MFD from RAW, looks much better

G90 - wide open, MFD from JPG, same funny boken again. Sorry focus a bit out for these hand held shots.

G90 - wide open, MFD from RAW, bokeh looks more normal

Just out of curiosity I used my Canon FD 50mm Macro for the shots, wide open at f3.5 from the JPG there's still some of the funny bokeh there.

Canon FD 50 Macro - wide open from RAW

Looks like there's something happening in the GF-1's JPG conversion causing the highlight in the bokeh. Now to try this with some point light sources in the background.

Finally I got my 100/2.8 Makro-Planar from Lazzaros today. I figured I would toss the same shot in on my 500D. No funny bokeh action here!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems GF-1 developers didn't expect anybody would get bokeh with a m4:3 Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gawd, what a horrible camera JPG processing.
This should make everyone aware: never judge a lens on in-camera JPGs.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Wilson for figuring that out. I think I have also saw something similar with my FD's jpg output, but have been shooting raw since then so I haven't really noticed the problem.

Ya, Panny's jpg engine still have some way to go. I never quite figure out why they haven't fixed the pinkish sky and yellowish/greenish skin tone indoor. O well... I shoot raw so why do I care...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's terrible!

If reviewers and pixel peepers wouldn't get so hung up on a little noise, we wouldn't have these kinds of problems. I have always preferred a sharp, noisy picture, to a smooth, noise free, asbstract-painting look.

Can you just turn off NR when you shoot JPEG?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was clearly post production problem. Try calibrate your camera with colorchecker and shoot RAW, colors would be much better, specially gradients.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always shoot in RAW.

That said, there is an optical phenomena where when one photographs a strong color against a contrasting background color a halo occurs. Can't remember what it's called. Obviously not the case here.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's an interesting finding!

thanks for sharing these pictures!

tf

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
Hi,

The original article (in Spanish) is here: http://www.flickr.com/groups/los_encamisados/discuss/72157623448839682/?search=camisa

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Jes.

Hi,
Thanks for the link. Is there any way possible to have a translation regarding the size of the hole versus FL? I see the images on the website with captions that I believe to be what I mean.

The rest is pretty much self explanatory.

Thanks again for the link.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at the translation in Google. It did not mention size vs. FL.

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flickr.com%2Fgroups%2Flos_encamisados%2Fdiscuss%2F72157623448839682%2F%3Fsearch%3Dcamisa&sl=es&tl=en&hl=&ie=UTF-8