Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Complete list of Helios lenses - getting closer
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a simple question, (I can't find answer here) :

An Helios 44 with leading number with 10xxx mean it was made in 1961? Just it's first time I see serial number with 10, usualy it's 5x, 6x or 7x..

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My modest collection of legendary Helios lenses Very Happy not rare models ,still nice quality glass .But, 44M-7 has a plastic feel, maybe it was made during the soviet union collapse ? Confused

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about an Helios 40 with starting sn 11? (11xxxx)

It's quite confusing, Helios 40 always had "normal" KMZ numbering (61, 62, etc... or 000, 00 ,0). Only MMZ made some serials with first number showing the year (84xx = 1968, for exemple). But, for a KMZ's Helios-40, that's quite strange. There is no red P, focal written in mm. Silver version with M39 mount.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if anyone still reads through this topic. I've had MFL forum as my main source of info for so long, but I've never had anything to contribute with until now. Last month I got really lucky and bought a Helios 44-2 with a serial number N0000879. Before that I wasn't buying into all the "lenses starting with 0 being VIP" hype, but this little baby proved me SO WRONG! I still can't get my head around its optical quality. It's from 1970 and it was made by KMZ (<3). I've tested it against several 44-2, 44M and 44M-4s dating from 1972 to 1989 and even against the silver 44 on one occasion (it wasn't mine though). I know it sounds crazy but the N°0000 version was hands down better than any of them. Sharper, more distinguishable bokeh (not insanely swirly, but popping up more), less flaring, excellent color rendition and contrast (even better than the later MC versions).

I know it's a blasphemy, but after testing it for a few weeks I actually sold all my other 44s and kept only this little gem. The funniest part is it was cheaper (only 8$) and in better condition than any of the other lenses.

Just a quick test shot comparing the contrast against the best 44-2 I've had. The difference is more significant in different situations (especially against sun).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What about an Helios 40 with starting sn 11? (11xxxx)

It's quite confusing, Helios 40 always had "normal" KMZ numbering (61, 62, etc... or 000, 00 ,0). Only MMZ made some serials with first number showing the year (84xx = 1968, for exemple). But, for a KMZ's Helios-40, that's quite strange. There is no red P, focal written in mm. Silver version with M39 mount.

During my "research" to find out why this number appear, I managed to get info that could interest some people here (who are interested in serial number Very Happy ).

I found the ex owner of my Helios-40 on a russian forum. He was as surprised as me with this SN. I sent him pm in order check if he did find any answer. He kindly answered (in russian) here :

http://www.futajik.ru/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=17182&view=findpost&p=157445

He got info from worker in technical center of KMZ (owner of zenitcamera.com)
--------------
Not going into details (if russian native speaker could translate, that would be great), there are some reasons for non-standart SN :

"Manager" (natchalniki) sometime were "stealing" some produced item (more simpler workers only were taking parts) in order to have their proper business. In such case, they sometime re-graved the ring in order to make the number fit to their own business.

Some rings were sometime also graved with special number for a glass of vodka, or for the maker himself. Then, they can replace the old ring of their lens with new ring and new serial.

Number can be changed if one or more glasses in the lens were changed.

Number can be changed if a "technology" was changed (chemicals used for coating)

Number can be created "on demand" from special departement.

-------

So, at the end, I still don't precisely know why the SN of my H-40 is not standart, but I have some ideas.
I hope my english is understandable.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll put my hands up to being the buyer of the Auto Cosmogon 58mm f/2 in this thread.

I don't think it's a Helios 44M-4 (I'll take photos later and add them).

Diagnostic features:

AUTO COSMOGON 1:2 F=58MM
KMZ Dove prism logo (with the lighter dove wing in the same thickness as the tombstone - not the thicker one)
8 aperture blades
M42

There's a silver M/A rocker switch with the M in red and the A in green.
The distance scale is provided in feet (ft, white text) and metres (M, yellow text)
The aperture runs from f/2 to f/16 and is in whits test. The depth of field is in green with a red centre line. The infra-red off-set is marked also in red.
On the underside it's marked "MADE IN USSR" in green.
The lens cap has the same thin gullwing logo.

I think this makes it a rebadged 44M, with a dual-system distance scale.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brody wrote:
I'm not sure if anyone still reads through this topic. I've had MFL forum as my main source of info for so long, but I've never had anything to contribute with until now. Last month I got really lucky and bought a Helios 44-2 with a serial number N0000879. Before that I wasn't buying into all the "lenses starting with 0 being VIP" hype, but this little baby proved me SO WRONG! I still can't get my head around its optical quality. It's from 1970 and it was made by KMZ (<3). I've tested it against several 44-2, 44M and 44M-4s dating from 1972 to 1989 and even against the silver 44 on one occasion (it wasn't mine though). I know it sounds crazy but the N°0000 version was hands down better than any of them. Sharper, more distinguishable bokeh (not insanely swirly, but popping up more), less flaring, excellent color rendition and contrast (even better than the later MC versions).

I know it's a blasphemy, but after testing it for a few weeks I actually sold all my other 44s and kept only this little gem. The funniest part is it was cheaper (only 8$) and in better condition than any of the other lenses.

Just a quick test shot comparing the contrast against the best 44-2 I've had. The difference is more significant in different situations (especially against sun).

I have a Helios 44-2 like yours with 00 serial. It is stunning, far outperforms any other Helios 44 I've seen and also far outperforms my CZJ Biotar 2/58.

So I fully agree with you, 00 serial Helios 44-2s are special.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

I have a Helios 44-2 like yours with 00 serial. It is stunning, far outperforms any other Helios 44 I've seen and also far outperforms my CZJ Biotar 2/58.

So I fully agree with you, 00 serial Helios 44-2s are special.

I'm glad to know it can match up even to the Biotar, that's the only one I haven't tested it against.

By the way does the same rule apply to the M39 Helios-44? A few days ago I've won one in auction and the serial starts with N°00 as well. Not that I'm not happy with the unique 44-2, but the tiny silver lens will look just awesome on a full frame DSLR with a battery grip Cool

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about he M39 early one, most if not all the Start ones I've seen had 00 serials so maybe not.

Please let us know how you find the M39 one, I am most intrigued.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I'm not sure about he M39 early one, most if not all the Start ones I've seen had 00 serials so maybe not.

Please let us know how you find the M39 one, I am most intrigued.

Exactly, I've seen too many silver 44s with 00 serial for it to be special. But it still hasn't arrived, so let's not lose hope!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

be carefull if you're using a Canon 5D, Helios 44 will block the mirror if you approach inifity focus.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BurstMox wrote:
be carefull if you're using a Canon 5D, Helios 44 will block the mirror if you approach inifity focus.

Yeah, I know about that. (Un)fortunately I'm using a Nikon D600, so I don't have to worry about hitting the mirror. On the other hand, I can't even dream about reaching infinity. Besides that, I also often shoot using Live view (I've been against it until I've tried looking through LCD viewfinder - the ultimate tool for manual focusing).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeSalt wrote:
I'll put my hands up to being the buyer of the Auto Cosmogon 58mm f/2 in this thread.

Diagnostic features:

KMZ Dove prism logo (with the lighter dove wing in the same thickness as the tombstone - not the thicker one)
8 aperture blades
M42

The distance scale is provided in feet (ft, white text) and metres (M, yellow text)
The aperture runs from f/2 to f/16 and is in whits test. The depth of field is in green with a red centre line. The infra-red off-set is marked also in red.

Hi George,

Aye, it's a 44M, rebadged (with the Cosmorex name replacing Zenit on the camera - for export; mostly tae the USA. Which would explain the ft.-mtrs. Mine's only has metres. ). The lens is exactly the same as my 44M, bought in the 70s with my Zenit EM (still have both -and use them). The 44M tends tae be overshadowed by the 44-2s. It's a very good lens.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BurstMox wrote:

I disagree. I cannot use a 44-2, but my M39 mount Helios 44 does not block the mirror at infinity.

Some adapters are too thin and allow focus past infinity and this is when it hits the mirror.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been reading this magnificent post on Helios lenses and I have came across this

Helios-44M-7
- protruding rear mechanism (can damage DSLR body)

I have bought one considering attaching it to my Nikon D90 via an M42-Nikon F adapter. Is there any chance damaging the camera? I have no intention of hacking it to focus at infinity. Would it be better if used with an adapter with correction glass (just to prevent the back element going all the way into the camera)?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Helios 44M-6,7 on Canon aps Reply with quote

Hello does anyone know if there is any problem(mirror) with mounting the Helios 44M-7 on a Canon APS?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean APS-C? No problem with 44M-7 or any other SLR Helios
Also doesn't seem to be problematic with FF (see here : http://www.panoramaplanet.de/comp/ )

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes aps-c,(600D)thanks

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeSalt wrote:

Diagnostic features:

8 aperture blades
M42

The aperture runs from f/2 to f/16 and is in white text. The depth of field is in green with a red centre line. The infra-red off-set is marked also in red.

As the only Auto Cosmogen variant image so far is an Ebay image and suffering from focus issues..

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Newbie from France Reply with quote

Hi everybody here, i'm putting some pics of my HELIOS 44 (1c) silver f/16 M39 13 blades mounted on my Canon 550D (T2i) i use it only in video mode, it has wonderful colors , and i love Him (it)

Thank you for all the good things that happens here, in this topic !

[img][/img]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie from France Reply with quote

Monsieur-Hulot wrote:
Hi everybody here, i'm putting some pics of my HELIOS 44 (1c) silver f/16 M39 13 blades mounted on my Canon 550D (T2i) i use it only in video mode, it has wonderful colors , and i love Him (it)

Thank you for all the good things that happens here, in this topic !

[img][/img]

Welcome!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Wink

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope it's not inappropriate to celebrate my weekend find in this way, but if it is, I'll replace the picture with something less modified Smile

The Helios is not exactly pristine, but not too bad; it has a couple of dings on the filter ring as well. I can't quite figure out the preset system as it is different from later Helios 44s and needs some CLA, but the lower aperture ring can be pushed down (a bit like on the Industar 61LZ or Jupiter 37A). M39, 13 blades, labeled "ГЕЛИОС 44 1:2 F=5,8см П №[serial] [KMZ logo]", serial is 0008xxx. I'm guessing it's from 1960? I hope to provide better pictures once I get the lens CLA-d.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver Helios would never go over to the dark sides ............ Very Happy

Oh .... wait ........he did Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartinV wrote:
I can't quite figure out the preset system as it is different from later Helios 44s and needs some CLA, but the lower aperture ring can be pushed down (a bit like on the Industar 61LZ or Jupiter 37A). M39, 13 blades, labeled "ГЕЛИОС 44 1:2 F=5,8см П №[serial] [KMZ logo]", serial is 0008xxx. I'm guessing it's from 1960? I hope to provide better pictures once I get the lens CLA-d.

This is the earliest version of screw mount Helios 44, may be all the lenses from this batch are even prototypes. They are from very early 50s. The preset mechanism is not very convenient - you need to push the lower ring down and simultaneously turn the upper ring to the desired aperture value, then release the lower ring.
This is the only Helios 44 version with aperture closing down to 22. It also has a longer barrel and its front element is recessed even deeper than all later version.