Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Complete list of Helios lenses - getting closer
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my Helios 44M-7 with a different design than the 44M-7 I have owned previously.
It is from 1996 and is slightly lighter and with a matt finish.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
Concave element on Helios? I've never heard about anything like that Smile

Hahah, i mean, in the logo Razz.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a Valdai manufactured 44M-4? If so, does it mean it's probably better than KMZ or any other?

I know this question has been asked a lot of times, but what's the general consensus on the best manufacturer or the best versions of Helios-44? I know that the later models (6,7) have MC, but optically they all have the Biotar design, so the main differences would be in build quality (depends on manufacturer) and coating, right?

edit: and also, what does resolution mean in Jiri's posts (like 41/20)? Is it better for the numbers to be higher?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

symphonic wrote:
Is this a Valdai manufactured 44M-4? If so, does it mean it's probably better than KMZ or any other?

I know this question has been asked a lot of times, but what's the general consensus on the best manufacturer or the best versions of Helios-44? I know that the later models (6,7) have MC, but optically they all have the Biotar design, so the main differences would be in build quality (depends on manufacturer) and coating, right?

edit: and also, what does resolution mean in Jiri's posts (like 41/20)? Is it better for the numbers to be higher?

Yes, this is Valdai version. Please note the later models (5,6,7) were made only by Valdai so they cannot be compared to anything. The general consensus for the models made by different factories is that the KMZ is the best maker due to a QA.
Regarding the best model it is very hard to tell and depends on what you are looking in the lens and your preferences. The early models are softer, has preset aperture with many blades that make perfect round diaphragm at all settings. The 44M model has very convenient auto/manual switch and 8 aperture blades. The later models can be used only in auto mode, have only 6 aperture blades, but MC versions are less prone to a flare and have better resolution. Although some people claim their bokeh is less pleasant. Many like MC 44-3 version which is MC, preset and has 8 aperture blades. I personally like MC 44M version but it is extremely hard to find.

The resolution numbers are number of resolved lines at the center/edge of the picture. Higher numbers mean better resolution.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, dimitrygo! Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Per request (and with apologies for being so slow about it!), I'm adding a few quick snaps to this marvelously helpful thread.

First up: an early Type 1(a) Helios-44 - the version that stops down to f/22 (the aperture ring design is slightly different from the commonly encountered model as well). As the pictures show, this is a lens that has "seen life" (as Matanle might put it), but it produces lovely images. I'll leave to no-X the decision whether to give this model its own number/letter designation (Type 0?), or to subdivide the TYpe 1(a) category.
(Detailed information: lens name in Cyrillic; maximum aperture given as 1:2; focal length given as F=5,8cm; serial number given as No000XXX; red Π symbol present; 13 aperture blades)

Next: a much later lens - a Helios-44-2 that falls into category 1(b) (KMZ, black, colored lettering), but which has a "0" serial number. Since evidence seems to suggest that the Type 1(b) appeared circa 1974, this serial number is a minor mystery. It may or may not be relevant in this connection, but I should note that this lens came to me attached to a Kalimar-rebadged Zenit - an export model.
(Detailed information: lens name in English; maximum aperture/focal length given as 85/2; serial number given as 0XXXXXX; 8 aperture blades)

Finally - and there's nothing really terribly unusual about this one - a Helios-40 that falls into the Type 1 category for this lens, but with a "00" serial number. I thought the image might be useful by way of reference.
(Detailed information: lens name in Cyrillic; maximum aperture given as 1:1,5; focal length given as F=8,5cm; serial number given as No00XXXX; red Π symbol present)

Many thanks to no-X for all his hard work, and for the tremendously useful results!

Cheers,

Jon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very creditable effort and most educational! Well started and many thanks! I look forward to helping in due course.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Just ran across an "Auto Cosmogon" branded Helios-44M (KMZ) with an odd six-digit 00XXXX serial number. My first thought is that these rebadged lenses must have been assigned a separate series of numbers, and that would account for the "00" here. Do you reckon that makes sense?

Focal length and maximum aperture are also designated differently from the practice I've seen on other 44-Ms. Instead of "58/2", it's "1:2" followed by "F=58mm".

Cheers,

Jon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi no-X,

FYI, I have a black HELIOS-40 which exactly looks like a 40-2
Sérial number "N700xxx"
M42 in brown case with the 3 usual B&W filters.
Filter thread 67x0,75

...BUT, I can't use normal 67mm filters on it. (lens nor filters)
I suspect that, despite what is written on the filters, it is still a 66x0,75 thread (!) The thread seems a little too thin or narrow. Strange, isn't it ?

So, I use the filters as lenshood.

One or twice, I've read owners of others HELIOS 40-2 named only 40.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought it might be nice to see a few Helios 44's and 77's in one box

[very quick and dirty - don't mind the bad quality of the images - will replace them with nicer ones when I get back home]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is nice to see so much version of helios 58mm f2, here is one of mine "Helios 44M1 , 2 blades only (cheap version ??)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

convert1 wrote:
It is nice to see so much version of helios 58mm f2, here is one of mine "Helios 44M1 , 2 blades only (cheap version ??)

Shocked

never seen this animal before ... !

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really interesting! Same aperture design as the Zenitar MC ME-1 1.7/50mm? That lens was designed for the Zenit 18 and had electronic coupling. The Helios 44m1 doesn't have contacts on the back portion does it?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct, the helios 44M1 doesn't have any electrical contacts on the back portion, this lens produces very strange bokeh (stop down of course). I guess optical design is the same like another version as well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Helios just came in today, so I decided to snap a couple of shots of it to add to the database.

Helios 44 (Type 1f), 2/58, N0xxxxxx, 8 blades, M42 mount

Last edited by gearsNcogs on Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:27 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine came in yesterday as well:

A second generation (44-2) zebra lens M42. I basically bought it to compare it with my first generation Helios 44

It also features a nice low serial number: N0000525! Shocked

BTW: my other Helios 44 is like the one with the 2 blades but then instead with 8 blades. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

look at that serial number! Shocked

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gearsNcogs wrote:
look at that serial number! Shocked

That means either good quality because the workers were still focused on their work or low quality because they were still trying to get it right! Very Happy
I must say the quality of the picture is better than my earlier 44M

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I updated the list a bit... I splitted Helios-44 version 1a to two groups: 1a now means the f/22 model and 1b means f/16 model. Many thanks to Univer for pointing this difference. Btw. it seems quite likely, that some rebadged lenses were marked by different serial numbers...

Hari: If you will be bored, could you share serials of the lenses? E.g. 44k-4 MC: 84xxx... ? Smile

convert1: very interesting lens... I added it to the list - could you find its serial number?

banpei: I think the zero at the begining means it was made in 1970... maybe it's 525th lens made in MMZ factory during 1970? Smile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
M means M42

M means that lens has instant-return(auto) diaphragm
http://www.zenitcamera.com/qa/qa-diaphragm.html

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for Helios and Mir lenses - both "K" and "M" lenses have automatic diaphragm. But K-marked Helios lenses have K-mount, while M-lenses have M42 mount (and H/N for Nikon mount).

As for Jupiters, some M-marked models have automatic diaphragm (21M), others have pre-set system (37AM). According to some rumours, M can mean "modern" regarding Jupiters.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just translated info from the link above:

Quote:
Первоначально термин "моргающая диафрагма" применялся только для резьбовых объективов, имеющих нажимную диафрагму по вышеуказанной терминологии. Термин "моргающая диафрагма" остался в индексе "М", которым маркируются резьбовые (M42x1) объективы с нажимной диафрагмой. Такие объективы имеют в оправе подпружиненный штырек, через который передается усилие на закрытие диафрагмы.

Quote:
Байонетные объективы со своими стандартными приводами диафрагмы маркируются иным образом -- по типу байонета ("K", "Н" и т.д.)

"M" means screwmount lens with automatic diaphragm, bayonet type lenses marked by K, H etc. For example, Helios-44 and 44-2 are M42 lenses but there is no "M" in their names cause they do not have automatic diaphragm. Helios-44M is M42 lens with automatic diaphragm thats why there is "M" in the end. As for Jupiter you are right.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
banpei: I think the zero at the begining means it was made in 1970... maybe it's 525th lens made in MMZ factory during 1970? Smile

That is correct: the Zenit E it used to be on was manufacured in 1970 as well. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The earliest Helios-44 I ever saw:

Export Helos-44 by MMZ "Zebra" with strange number 90XXXXX:

Homemade hood for Helios-44. Looks funny, works good! =)
White cap on the left used for Custom WB.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Complete list of Helios lenses - getting closer Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
If you have some SLR Helios lenses, which are not pictured or mentioned, you can help by sharing this info:

Here are some pictures of my Helios-81N, from my recent thread about it:
http://forum.mflenses.com/mc-helios-81n-50-2-and-nikon-50-1-8-series-e-comparison-t34101.html

Information:
Name: Helios-81N
Labeling: "MC гелиос-81н 2/50"
Special symbols: Zavod Arsenal logo
Serial number: 8925xxx
Aperture blades: 6
System: Nikon F (Kiev 17/19/20/19M bodies)

(shown next to a Nikon 50/1.8 Series E for a size reference... let me know if you would like a shot of just the Helios on its own)