Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Classics to use - Nikkormat
View previous topic :: View next topic  


PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Classics to use - Nikkormat Reply with quote

Article from a 2002 edition of Amateur Photographer magazine













PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Ed


PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Classics to use - Nikkormat Reply with quote

I have a black Nikkormat FT2 in near mint condition and love it. It still works flawlessly, including the meter. The finder is a little bit on the dark side but it is still very useable. The one thing I like the best about it is the shutter speed ring around the mount, I wish that idea had caught on more. Construction wise, it is built like a tank, par for the course of all Nikons of that era. No plastic anywhere except the tip of the winding lever.

[/img]


PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Classics to use - Nikkormat Reply with quote

NikonAIS wrote:

I have a black Nikkormat FT2 ... No plastic anywhere except the tip of the winding lever.


The older FTN has no plastic anywhere - no exception Wink

Here shown with a Sonnar type early Nikkor-P Auto 1:2.5 f=10.5cm:



S


PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have loved and used a few Nikkormats.
My first was a chrome FT-2, and I still regret letting it go.

My current version is a chrome FTN. The slightly dark viewfinders take a bit of getting used to.
In using it, I find myself using the ground glass to focus on with longer lenses. The micro-prism spot tends to darken around 135mm focal length. The split image/micro-prism collar of the FT-2 is easier to use. Apart from the above, the FTN is a great little camera. It makes some beautiful photographs.

I have had all of the EL, ELW, and EL-2 series cameras. The FT series are far more reliable.

If you can find an FT-2 at a reasonable price, it would be really worth looking into.

-D.S.


PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was a teen, our youth pastor had a Nikkormat that I thought was so cool. Now I have an FT, FTn, FT2 and FT3,and an EL. And they're still cool.


PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea why I sold mine next to nothing.
Naybe because light meter was not working and I got frustrated.



PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
I have no idea why I sold mine next to nothing.
Naybe because light meter was not working and I got frustrated.


Why not get another one? I think I have three of them, all of them were in the CHF / EUR 30.-- price range, including a 2/50mm lens. Certainly not that expenisve ... Wink

S


PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several years ago, I added an FT3 and an EL2 to my collection of Nikons, both in almost mint condition. I'd previously owned an FT2 but sold it. At the time I bought those two cameras, I was able to pick them up for a song, and the FT3 even came with a late pre-AI 50/1.4 that had been converted by Nikon to AI. Even though the EL2 is a Nikkormat, it's worth noting that its name badge says "Nikon." So I've always thought of it as being Nikon's immediate predecessor to the FE.


PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
kansalliskala wrote:
I have no idea why I sold mine next to nothing.
Naybe because light meter was not working and I got frustrated.


Why not get another one? I think I have three of them, all of them were in the CHF / EUR 30.-- price range, including a 2/50mm lens. Certainly not that expenisve ... Wink

S


Do you mail to Finland. Wink Smile


PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Several years ago, I added an FT3 and an EL2 to my collection of Nikons, both in almost mint condition. I'd previously owned an FT2 but sold it. At the time I bought those two cameras, I was able to pick them up for a song, and the FT3 even came with a late pre-AI 50/1.4 that had been converted by Nikon to AI. Even though the EL2 is a Nikkormat, it's worth noting that its name badge says "Nikon." So I've always thought of it as being Nikon's immediate predecessor to the FE.


The Nikon-Nikkormat-Nikomat marketing area ID's got a little weird at times.
I recall seeing a Nikomat badged EL-2 somewhere along the line.
It may have been a prototype, but it's an awfully long time ago.

Apart from the brightness of the focusing screens, the EL-2 and FE finders were almost identical.
I am fairly certain that there was an electronics upgrade to the FE as well as a slight reduction in body dimensions.
There aren't many EL-2's left with working meters now a days. Most FE cameras I examine still have a working meter.

-D.S.


PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the EL2 is Nikkormat-sized and Nikkormat heavy, whereas the FE is more of a compact size, basically the same as the FM. Even though the finder info looks almost identical between the two, I'm sure that Nikon would have updated the electronics for the FE.

My EL2's meter still works perfectly and it's accurate, as well. I suspect my copy was seldom used. I've owned a few FEs over the years and I've always been fond of them. I'm partial to match-needle metering, which is a big reason why I've always liked them. Currently I own one FE and one FE2, both minty and both black. Back when film cameras were selling for a song, I'd buy one if I found it selling for cheap, then I'd play around with it for a while, and sell it. I don't keep extras anymore -- or at least I try not to.


PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
stevemark wrote:
kansalliskala wrote:
I have no idea why I sold mine next to nothing.
Naybe because light meter was not working and I got frustrated.


Why not get another one? I think I have three of them, all of them were in the CHF / EUR 30.-- price range, including a 2/50mm lens. Certainly not that expenisve ... Wink

S


Do you mail to Finland. Wink Smile


Yes Wink ... BUT: I just checked my three Nikkormats (one FTN and two FT2); sadly one of the two FT2s just locked up when I tried to fire it. That's somethiong I observe quite often with old manual SLRs - they work when I get them, but after a few "clicks" quite a few of them simply lock up. Especially prne to this are the first generation Minolta LSRs (SR-2, SR-1, Sr-3, SR-7) and the big clunky Konica SLRs (T, T2, T3).

S


PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
I just checked my three Nikkormats (one FTN and two FT2); sadly one of the two FT2s just locked up when I tried to fire it. That's somethiong I observe quite often with old manual SLRs - they work when I get them, but after a few "clicks" quite a few of them simply lock up. Especially prne to this are the first generation Minolta LSRs (SR-2, SR-1, Sr-3, SR-7) and the big clunky Konica SLRs (T, T2, T3).

S


Actually I haven't use old slrs for a while because they are kind of unreliable. Nowdays my main camera is Nikon F90X which is really nice to use, I need just some better glass for it.