Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon 5d Mark II with Pentax 67 lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBaker wrote:
I recently got a P67 to EOS adapter off Ebay and the seller said it would focus to infinity. But after getting it I find it doesn't. Trying to tell this to the seller that has very little English is hard. I'll keep the adapter but I told him I wasn't very pleased.

Does your adapter focus to infinity?

I have two P67 lenses...90 2.8 LS and a 55 3.5. Very ice solid lenses.

Mine focuses to infinity with no problems. Your mount should also have a tripod mount built in, and two bayonet release locks. If not, then I would ask for a refund and change for a different model of EOS-Pentax 67 adapter.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:19 am    Post subject: can't help but compare Reply with quote

your shot of your hand reminded me on this topic:

http://forum.mflenses.com/canon-fl-58mm-f-1-2-t40167.html

can't help tp compare a new digital era lens with one made several decades ago - canon fl 58 f1.2

the body in the other post is a lumix based on the exif data so it is fairly similar to your body in years.

sorry to say but the lens from several decades ago blew your lens away based on the shots made!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GLOBETROTTER wrote:
As a professional I do not post my high rez images online. All the images I take become part of my large library for sale and are only shown at smaller web page format sizes and contain copyright & website domain names & logos.

However, I will try to put some time aside to take some extra images with the Pentax 67 45mm just for MFlenses forum, and then post some images, although as small compresed jpegs shown online they do not show the full potential of the lenses. I am connected here via my mobile phone dongle (cell phone), which compresses the image even more when sent over the air waves.

The weather in UK is miserable at the moment, with strong winds and rain so not good conditions to photograph. As soon as we have decent weather I'll go out and take some interesting landcape photos and post a few here. I'll also be travelling again to Gran Canaria soon to make a new movie, so I'll take some extra shots with the Pentax instead of the Canon or Nikkor lenses.

I went outside today and took a quick and nasty photo of the foliage on the fence next to my garden, but with low light levels, fine rain and gusting high winds it is impossible to take good images without movement in the foliage. Plus the fact that it is a very boring image! Smile So please be paitient and I will try to post some more interesting images at a later date.
Click on image below and press + to enlarge.

You call this high resolution sample? Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Quicksilver86, I do not call it a high rez sample. If you'd actually read the text you'd realise that it is not... Rolling Eyes

I do not post my high rez images online (the original photos are 5616 X 3744 pixel raw images). The photos posted in this forum, as I stated, are highly compressed very small jpegs uploaded to the internet over the airwaves via my mobile phone connection...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GLOBETROTTER wrote:
No, Quicksilver86, I do not call it a high rez sample. If you'd actually read the text you'd realise that it is not... Rolling Eyes

I do not post my high rez images online (the original photos are 5616 X 3744 pixel raw images). The photos posted in this forum, as I stated, are highly compressed very small jpegs uploaded to the internet over the airwaves via my mobile phone connection...

You're right I'm sorry, I red all the topic after posting.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: P67 lenses on 5D Reply with quote

HI Globetrotter,

I also like using the P67, P645, and also Hassy lenses on the 5D Mark II. You mentioned early on that some folks say MF lenses don't perform as well on a 35mm format as lenses made for 35mm. I think that part of that misconception has to do with the fact that the average line pair/ mm resolution numbers for MF lenses are often lower than 35 mm format lenses, especially at the edges. Lens designers don't have to design MF lenses to extremely high resolving power, since a 6x6, 6x7 or 6x9 negative does not have to be enlarged as much as a 35 mm negative to yield a similar sized print. What many people forget, is that when you mount a MF lens on your 5D, or any other 35mm format camera, (or smaller, like AP-C), you are really only using the center portion of the lens' image circle - the sweet spot as it were. The "corner" of a MF lens' image on a 35mm sensor is not the corner of the lens' image circle - it is still really the center. You get center performance across the entire 35mm frame! No wonder the images look good!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: P67 lenses on 5D Reply with quote

pdccameras wrote:
The "corner" of a MF lens' image on a 35mm sensor is not the corner of the lens' image circle - it is still really the center. You get center performance across the entire 35mm frame! No wonder the images look good!

+1 ... You are starting to feed my LBA again ... I have used (and liked a lot) some P6 lenses on my K10D ... Now, it seems it is time to grab a P6-EOS adapter ring (as well as a P67-EOS ring, since i have a "spare" SMC Takumar 6X7 90/2.8 hanging around) ...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: P67 lenses on 5D Reply with quote

indianadinos wrote:
pdccameras wrote:
The "corner" of a MF lens' image on a 35mm sensor is not the corner of the lens' image circle - it is still really the center. You get center performance across the entire 35mm frame! No wonder the images look good!

+1 ... You are starting to feed my LBA again ... I have used (and liked a lot) some P6 lenses on my K10D ... Now, it seems it is time to grab a P6-EOS adapter ring (as well as a P67-EOS ring, since i have a "spare" SMC Takumar 6X7 90/2.8 hanging around) ...

..and then you can get the leaf shutter lens, the macro, the soft focus portrait lens, etc. etc. etc. Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: P67 lenses on 5D Reply with quote

pdccameras wrote:
HI Globetrotter,

... What many people forget, is that when you mount a MF lens on your 5D, or any other 35mm format camera, (or smaller, like AP-C), you are really only using the center portion of the lens' image circle - the sweet spot as it were. The "corner" of a MF lens' image on a 35mm sensor is not the corner of the lens' image circle - it is still really the center. You get center performance across the entire 35mm frame! No wonder the images look good!

I agree entirely!

Regarding the Hassy and 645 lenses, which ones have you used on the 5D and is there one which is a particular favourite?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: P67 lenses on 5D Reply with quote

GLOBETROTTER wrote:
pdccameras wrote:
HI Globetrotter,

... What many people forget, is that when you mount a MF lens on your 5D, or any other 35mm format camera, (or smaller, like AP-C), you are really only using the center portion of the lens' image circle - the sweet spot as it were. The "corner" of a MF lens' image on a 35mm sensor is not the corner of the lens' image circle - it is still really the center. You get center performance across the entire 35mm frame! No wonder the images look good!

I agree entirely!

..this is an argument in favor of using an APS-C sensor dSLR for lenses made for 35mm film ( given similar IQ of the sensors, which right now may well be reality )
an argument that may not be very popular with 5D users

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: P67 lenses on 5D Reply with quote

[quote="kuuan"][quote="GLOBETROTTER"]
pdccameras wrote:

..this is an argument in favor of using an APS-C sensor dSLR for lenses made for 35mm film ( given similar IQ of the sensors, which right now may well be reality )
an argument that may not be very popular with 5D users

I agree in part, although when using 35mm film lenses I prefer to use a full frame sensor camera such as the D3 or 5D rather than an AP-C sensor camera such as the D300s or 7D, simply to keep those superb ultra-wide lenses wide. I would of course have preferred to be able to use the Pentax 67 45mm as a 28mm wide (as it is on the Pentax 6X7 body)... but we can't have everything I suppose. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: where to get a Pentax 67 - Canon TILT-SHIFT adapter?? Reply with quote

Reading this thread with great interest. Have both my old Pentax 67 system with several lenses, and also a Canon 5d Mark II.

I'm very interested in getting the TILT-SHIFT version of the adapter, which was mentioned earlier. However, I can't seem to find one online. Can anyone please point me to the right site(s)?

Many thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: where to get a Pentax 67 - Canon TILT-SHIFT adapter?? Reply with quote

bttab wrote:
Reading this thread with great interest. Have both my old Pentax 67 system with several lenses, and also a Canon 5d Mark II.

I'm very interested in getting the TILT-SHIFT version of the adapter, which was mentioned earlier. However, I can't seem to find one online. Can anyone please point me to the right site(s)?

Many thanks in advance!

Hi bttab and welcome. Very Happy

I read that this firm does some :
http://www.zoerk.com/pages/p_pshift.htm
http://www.zoerk.com/pages/p_psa.htm

or MIREX ?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have been comparing (no real test environment) my 135mm 4.0 Pentax tot my 70-200 Canon@135mm. Seems the Canon is a tad sharper. Both mounted on my Canon 5DII. What I do like is my M42 smc takumar 55mm2.0 because of its bokeh and other specific looks (as compared to modern DSLR lenses).

Could anyone position the sharpness of 6X7 lenses compared to the 70-200L2.8ISII? 55mm4.0 and 75mm4.5 are supposed to be very sharp, but how does that translate in comparison to a 35mm1.4L? Or a 85mm L?
Any thoughts or experience on those matters?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yourt wrote:
Hi,

I have been comparing (no real test environment) my 135mm 4.0 Pentax tot my 70-200 Canon@135mm. Seems the Canon is a tad sharper. Both mounted on my Canon 5DII.

Could anyone position the sharpness of 6X7 lenses compared to the 70-200L2.8ISII?

Thanks.

OK, so I shot some test charts myself. Not in a way to start dropping resolution figures and all, but comparative... and my 135/4 @4.0 couldn't achieve my 35mm1.4L's high resolution (center almost, corners no way) but contrast was very similar, even in the corners.
Center resolution against my 70-200@135mm was also similar but in corners Pentax beats Canon in contrast... not in resolution.

Very strong to stay standing against those two, and amazing to outpower at least one of them in contrast.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Yourt and welcome.

Answering your questions is difficult as we have to own these lenses to answer you.
I know the Canon EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS USM is a very good lens. I have the 70-200 f4 L IS USM and it is already reknown for its sharpness.

I think Globetrotter could give you some answers. Try to contact him by PM.

Do you know this resolution charts' comparison site ?
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=687&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=1&API=0&LensComp=404&CameraComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:

Do you know this resolution charts' comparison site ?
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=687&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=1&API=0&LensComp=404&CameraComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

Yes, and other sites like DXOMark, photozone.de, fredandmiranda,... too. Problem is nonen of those sites even mention Pentax 67 lenses. photodo.com does, but they have no test results.
Anyway, I'm pleased with my lens and its results. I also have some M42's that I use on my 5DII and on my Olympus OM-10 or Pentax Spotmatic II.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Special adaptor Pentax 67 > Canon EF! Works fine!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW ! Shocked

How beautiful it is.
This combination seems to be very well balanced.

I'd like to see some pictures samples taken with it.

Congratulations Opal.
Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found the a Pentax 67, 200mm third version for my 5D II.
wondering if I can use it handheld and have it having around my neck walking around with it,
without daming the mount and adaptor?