Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon 5d Mark II with Pentax 67 lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Canon 5d Mark II with Pentax 67 lenses Reply with quote

I use a variety of different lenses with this camera for both stills & video.

The main Pentax 67 MF lens that I'm using at the moment with the Canon 5D Mark II is the widest optic in the range, namely the Pentax 67 45mm 1:4 ultra-wide lens (around 21mm on MF format or 24mm if you average out vertical nad horizontal frame. It remains 45mm on a 5D DSLR).

This lens is very light for a medium format lens at only 486gm and so balances nicely on the 5D Mk2.

It is built to a very high standard and the manual focus ring is as smooth as butter, so not only is it a top-grade performer to take stills images, it also is a dream to use for video as well.

The Pentax 645 and 6X7 Medium format lens range includes some of the finest optics in the world. The best in the 645 range is the 35mm wide lens and the 50-100mm. However, the Pentax 6X7 and 67 lenses can easily fit the 645D with an adapter and so it is a useful option to own 67 lenses because they can easily fit the Pentax 67II, Pentax 645D and canon 5D Mark II. The professional range of Pentax 67 lenses is world renowned, and matched to the smaller sensor of the Canon 5D the frame is inside the 'sweet' central section of the glass.

I had read some conflicting advice on the internet that medium format lenses were not as sharp as 35mm SLR/DSLR lenses and so not useful when mounted on the smaller format bodies; but this seemed to stem only from people who had never actually tried the combination. Almost all the professionals who used the Pentax 67 and 645 lenses on the Canon DSLR cameras told a of a completely different story and provided evidence that the lenses were extremely sharp right across the range and in fact even bettered the results with Canon L lenses.

Well, I must admit that I have to agree with them that a Pentax 67 or 645 lens matched to the Canon 5D Mark II produces still images of superb quality, with great colour and biting sharpness right to the very corners of the frame – better than most Canon L lens I've so far tried.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAMPLES !

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joosep wrote:
SAMPLES !

+1

That thing looks awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBaker wrote:
Joosep wrote:
SAMPLES !

+1

+2

& welcome btw Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the welcome. Wink

By the way, the high magnification hood on the back of the 5D is an orginal high quality Hasselblad chimney finder that I adapted to fit the rear live-view screen. It fits on & off in seconds, with full use of rear control buttons when in use, and is very helpful for manual focus in stills or video modes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
TBaker wrote:
Joosep wrote:
SAMPLES !

+1

+2

& welcome btw Very Happy

Yes, welcome and sample photos are most welcome.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVE those adaptations from medium format to DSLR.

Welcome to the forum!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a professional I do not post my high rez images online. All the images I take become part of my large library for sale and are only shown at smaller web page format sizes and contain copyright & website domain names & logos.

However, I will try to put some time aside to take some extra images with the Pentax 67 45mm just for MFlenses forum, and then post some images, although as small compresed jpegs shown online they do not show the full potential of the lenses. I am connected here via my mobile phone dongle (cell phone), which compresses the image even more when sent over the air waves.

The weather in UK is miserable at the moment, with strong winds and rain so not good conditions to photograph. As soon as we have decent weather I'll go out and take some interesting landcape photos and post a few here. I'll also be travelling again to Gran Canaria soon to make a new movie, so I'll take some extra shots with the Pentax instead of the Canon or Nikkor lenses.

I went outside today and took a quick and nasty photo of the foliage on the fence next to my garden, but with low light levels, fine rain and gusting high winds it is impossible to take good images without movement in the foliage. Plus the fact that it is a very boring image! Smile So please be paitient and I will try to post some more interesting images at a later date.
Click on image below and press + to enlarge.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

many here use the pentax mf lenses and will be good for them to know about the high dslr performance. i have for a while been using pentacon 6 lenses on the 5d with similarly wonderful results, the zeiss 80 & 120mm in particular. i like the 120 so much i am thinikng of selling my 135's!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Globetrotter!

Very exciting news. I was going to ask about your custom viewfinder. Very nice!

I will be getting a 7d soon. Will the MF Pentax lenses adapt to it? If so what is the adapter called? Thanks for any help.

Love the range of tones in your sample image. I am a pro as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kram,

I originally made my own cheap rubber strap mount (similar to the Hoodman strap mount) but now use a far better modified clip mount. This was made by removing the shade flaps on a LCD 5D pop-up shade and then simply glueing the hasselblad magnifier to the LCD shade mount. This makes it easy to clip the Hasselbald finder on and off the 5D Mark II. If you get the 7D LCD pop-up shade it should also fit the Canon 7D.

Here is a video of how to do it with an LCDVF, but the technique also works with the Hasselblad. The Hassy viewfinder is well made and sharp with inbuilt magnification of the image on the focusing screen at 2.5x for a full-frame view of the screen without the need for moving the eye and manually adjusts from 3.5 to -2.5 diopters:

http://vimeo.com/9905138

Here are some quick photos of the Hassy finder taken with my iPhone, so please excuse quality:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kram - regarding the 7D, yes the Pentax 645 & 67 lenses will work well on the the Canon 7D.

Here is an image taken by Charles Wood with a simple Canon XSi body and the Pentax 645 MF 35mm lens (click on + to enlarge image):

http://static.photo.net/attachments/bboard/00S/00Sj0t-115135584.jpg

And here is an image taken with the same Canon body at ISO 100, but this time using the Pentax 645 MF 55mm lens at f/5.6 (again, please click on the '+' sign with your mouse once ther smaller image has loaded to enlarge full size):

http://static.photo.net/attachments/bboard/00S/00Sl79-116151684.jpg

I think you'll agree that the Pentax 645 lenses are a also superb on a DSLR and are a slighter lighter alternative to the 67 lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you also use some tilt/shift adapter with P67 lenses? As it covers much bigger frame, it would be very useful tool.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Pentax 67 lenses can be used with the Pentax-EOS tilt/shift adapter, and many people do use it for this pupose matched to the Canon 5D Mark2.
However, I do not use this particular adapter as I do not find the need for shift lenses in my field of work.
I used to own the beautiful and well built Pentax SMC 28mm f/3.5 shift lens and used it a lot on my Pentax LX camaras, but eventually sold it because I did not use it enough compared to the normal Pentax SMC-M and SMC-A 24mm & 28mm primes.

Besides the tilt/shift adapter, there are two other normal Pentax to Canon EOS adapters. One with electronic contacts to relay Focus Confirmation to the Canon camera body, and one without. I use the one without FC, because not only is it half price for basically the same solid metal adapter, but I never use FC even with Canon L lenses in MF mode and always prefer to rely on my eye when I manually focus.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forget to mention that my Pentax 67 MF - EOS adapter has a built in tripod foot (which I also add a Manfrotto Quick Release Plate). This is a very positive aspect about the adapter and means that the Pentax 6X7 lenses are supported correctly at a central point and prevents any added strain on the Canon bayonet when mounted on a tripod. I keep the Manfrotto QR Plate permanantly mounted to the lens, as I also like the extra support it provides with the palm of my left hand beneath the lens and gentle finger-tip focus when taking handheld shots.

Yet another positive aspect about the adapter is that in addition to the the main Pentax to Canon EOS bayonet rear mount, there is also an extra locking pin on the side of the adapter casing that releases the front bayonet mount. This means that the adapter can be left in place on the 5D body and with a press of the knurled pin you simply untwist the lens from the front bayonet to make lens changes quick and efficient.

One point worth mentioning about the Pentax 67 45mm lens is that it already has very good minimum focus range as an equivalent 24mm lens on the Pentax 67ii Film body, so on a DSLR as a normal 45mm lens that extra magnification comes in very handy indeed.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tony.
Thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge here. You are very welcome. Very Happy

Are Pentacon-six lenses of the same kind than those you're speaking about ?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the welcome, Olivier.

Pentax 67 lenses (6X7) diagonals are 55X70 with a framing of 89mm, but Pentacon 6 lenses (6X6) are much smaller at 56x56 with a frame of just under 79.2mm, so not the same and would therefore need a different Pentacon6-EOS Adapter. I haven't tried the Pentacon 6 lenses on the 5D Mark II.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier, this might be of interest to you, a Nikon D3 with Pentacon Six 500mm lens plus 2 X converter (equivalent of a 1,000mm lens):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianfarrellphotography/2446911598/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are both p6>canon adapter and a p6>m42 adapter, which obviously is much more versatile. when coupled with an m42>eos adapter you get af confirmation. you also get the option of using these lenses on any camera with an m42 adapter. i have both adapters and think the p6>m42 is much better because it allows me to use p6 lenses on virtually every camera i have, including my contax's--works great on the ax!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After weeks of cold winter rain in UK, the sun finally shone for a few hours today, so I went out into the local woods to obtain some video footage. While I was there, I also used a few extra minutes to take some stills, mainly just for lens checks. I am uploading these via my phone dongle (cellphone) connection, so quite a lot of quality is lost in compression over the air waves, but hopefully you'll be able to see the quality of this MF Pentax 67 optic.

Click on image and press '+' to enlarge

The image below is a close up of the moss-covered roots of the same tree:

The Equipment used to take the images - Canon 5d Mark II with Pentax SMC 67 45mm f/4 lens:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an image I took of my own left hand on the same tree. This is still a long way off minimum focus, so this lens is very handy for a variety of near-far subjects.

This image below, is a 100% CROP of the right finger from the exact same image shown above - and shows that is quite a sharp lens:

Below is a quick & dirty low rez shot of the lens taken with my iPhone:

Another iPhone image...so please ignore colour fringing Laughing showing the leaves on the ground reflecting from the UV filter. It looks like fire!:

The more that I use this lens, the more that I am falling in love with it...please don't tell my partner Ayleen! Wink

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really nice ...

what adapter do you use to get it to work with the 5d2?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doc fluty wrote:
really nice ...

what adapter do you use to get it to work with the 5d2?

The Pentax67-EOS adapter. These can be found easily on Ebay.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently got a P67 to EOS adapter off Ebay and the seller said it would focus to infinity. But after getting it I find it doesn't. Trying to tell this to the seller that has very little English is hard. I'll keep the adapter but I told him I wasn't very pleased.

Does your adapter focus to infinity?

I have two P67 lenses...90 2.8 LS and a 55 3.5. Very ice solid lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.enjoyyourcamera.com/Lens-Accessories/Lens-Mount-Adapter/Canon-Adapters/Lens-Mount-Adapter-Pentax-67-Canon-EF::3459.html

Wink