Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Brand Camera Co. 4x5 view camera (1947?)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Brand Camera Co. 4x5 view camera (1947?) Reply with quote

Like Big Dawg, I am insane, so I just received this.

The Brand Camera Co. of Los Angeles was one of several new US makers of Press and View cameras that popped up in Los Angeles after WWII. All seemed to specialize in aluminum construction, to make use of all the war-surplus aircraft material and tooling available there at the time. Others of the same place and period were Printex, Newton (made the more common New Vue, and which may have been a successor of Brand), Riley (made the very interesting Rilex), and several others I think. Printex and Newton cameras are more common than Brand.

The Brand camera could be used as a press camera, seeing as it has that huge handle and it could be equipped with viewfinders and a Kalart rangefinder - it is drilled and tapped for the mountings for these - but it would make a rather awkward press camera.

I popped on a 4 inch lensboard I had lying around, which fits Compur shutters, so I dressed it up with a Zeiss Tessar, because I am working on its back. I put in a plastic groundglass temporarily. I may replace the back with a better Graflex back I've got. This unit has been modified with side brackets in order to reduce the minimum extension. However the bellows are very stiff, and I don't think lenses shorter than 90mm will go on it unless the bellows are replaced with bag bellows.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the looks of that, looks very robust.

A view camera is something I keep telling myself I must buy one day. I have a lot of 70mm fujichrome in bulk, would love to use it loaded into a 5x4 or 5x7 holder to shoot pano landscapes.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking really good! Congrats!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice gear but for me I wouldn't know where, or can think of a reason, to use it....well maybe my grandchildren but wait! it's a problem to get them to pose and stay still for 35mm.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, Luis, looks like a heavy one to pack around...plus the tripod. Looking forward to your efforts!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Funny you should mention Printex - I came across one on ebay.com the other day - fugly beast.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one my friend. Looks WW2 heavy built.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its heavy, ugly, and not a bit precise.
This looks like it was built in an auto shop.

Big Dawgs Kodak view in comparison is like a Linhof, a piece of industrial art.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Its heavy, ugly, and not a bit precise.
This looks like it was built in an auto shop.

Big Dawgs Kodak view in comparison is like a Linhof, a piece of industrial art.

It will still shoot good'uns though, I bet.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking setup look forward to the pictures from this camera