Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best 15 blades lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: Best 15 blades lenses Reply with quote

Which are best 15 blades lens?
Possible to have a list here? Thank you very much!

Last edited by sinner79 on Tue May 10, 2011 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea! I also want a list of the best lenses with 6 blades and 9 blades. Preferably today as my time is limited. I want the information NOW! Please hurry!

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Best 15 blades lenses Reply with quote

sinner79 wrote:
Which are best 15 blades lens?
Possible to have a list here? Thank you very much!

How about a 20 blades "Tair-11A"? Smile

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more blades, more Adidas...erm..."The more stripes..." Mr. Green

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tair 11A king of bokeh?Smile Better than Meyer/Pentacon 135 2.8?

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sinner79 wrote:
Tair 11A king of bokeh?Smile Better than Meyer/Pentacon 135 2.8?

Tair from USSR and cant be a "King" - comrade only Smile
Flickr

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile And a comparison with Pentacon/Meyer 15 blades ? Anyone have both of them and can tell an opinion?
thanks.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sinner79 wrote:
Smile And a comparison with Pentacon/Meyer 15 blades ? Anyone have both of them and can tell an opinion?
thanks.

I'll get my Meyer on June, and can do it for you. (unless someone does it earlier)

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sinner79 wrote:
thanks.

Pentacon is overall better lens. Tair is triplet, needs to be stopped down to f8-f11 to get acceptable field and corner sharpness.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tair 300mms (and all the various number designations) are triplets. The Tair 11A and 11 are not.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry...what's meaning of triplets?

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sinner79 wrote:
Sorry...what's meaning of triplets?

Born three at a time. Sorry, Spotmatic put me in a sarcastic mood. It's a lens design configuration.

I suppose there are many lenses with high number of blades, but understand that is just one contributor of bokeh.

I have yet to receive my "new" Tair 11; does it too have 20 blades? I suppose you get to a point where the iris is round enough and that occurs somewhere before 20 blades.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
The Tair 300mms (and all the various number designations) are triplets. The Tair 11A and 11 are not.

Actually, they are...

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRunner wrote:
themoleman342 wrote:

Actually, they are...

Hmm, so if I buy a high quality mounted triplet assembly from surplusshed.com, say 600mm, can I mount it in a 600mm tube and it will work?

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a 4 element design in 3 groups is a triplet?

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
So a 4 element design in 3 groups is a triplet?

Yes, it belongs to the triplets group. See also:

http://forum.mflenses.com/list-of-lens-diagrams-triplets-planars-and-hybrid-lenses-t22934.html

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you keep a distance beetwen subject and background any lens will have good 'bokeh' no matter how many blades are in. In fact many lens have very smooth bokeh with limited number of blades. This blade count craze remind me for those legends what say scratched lens is crap unusable.. which is not true also.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
If you keep a distance beetwen subject and background any lens will have good 'bokeh' no matter how many blades are in. In fact many lens have very smooth bokeh with limited number of blades. This blade count craze remind me for those legends what say scratched lens is crap unusable.. which is not true also.

I agree,

Meyer Primotar 3.5/135 with 15 blades, bokeh is smooth but not spectacular:

Here the bokeh is nothing special at all because the flowers are not far out of focus:

Petri CC Auto 1.8/55 with 6 blades, bokeh is very good imho:

So I think my 6 blade Petri has better bokeh than my 15 blade Primotar, also, as Atilla says, the distance to the out of focus elements is crucial.

One reason I'm interested in getting an Industar 61LZ is that it has such sharp fall off from focus to out of focus areas.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meopta Mirar it has square aperture with minimal blades...
And background separation still good , not the best example , but I don't have other photo.

http://forum.mflenses.com/meopta-mirar-35mm-f3-5-t34269,highlight,%2Bmeopta.html

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also remember that wide open the number of blades makes zero difference as they are not even in the optical path…

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian: I'm guessing your Petri shot was wide open, in which case the aperture blades are irrelevant. Round becomes much more important when there are specular highlights that will take the shape of the iris. I have some lenses that are well known for their bokeh, but watch out for the bright lights!

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkku wrote:
Also remember that wide open the number of blades makes zero difference as they are not even in the optical path…

Laughing Laughing Laughing excellent! right Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
In fact many lens have very smooth bokeh with limited number of blades. This blade count craze remind me for those legends what say scratched lens is crap unusable.. which is not true also.
I think the bokeh character is a lot more influenced by the "solidity" of the diffusion circles. If there are rough highlight edges, the bokeh will usually be less calm as well.

edit: having said that, I totally agree with you, Attila.

Last edited by Cistron on Wed May 11, 2011 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Ian: I'm guessing your Petri shot was wide open, in which case the aperture blades are irrelevant. Round becomes much more important when there are specular highlights that will take the shape of the iris. I have some lenses that are well known for their bokeh, but watch out for the bright lights!

Yes, both the Primotar and Petri shots are wide open, so as Arkku rightly points out, the number of blades isn't part of the equation...

My point was that the optical formula of a particular lens is what gives it it's bokeh characteristics, not the number of blades.

Helios 44 is renowned for nice bokeh but had what, 6 blades in most versions?

Take out the rear element group from a Helios 44 and the bokeh becomes much swirlier:

That example is wide open, but stop the lens down to f8 and the effect largely disappears:

Another wide-open example, I think this proves that optical formula is what makes boken, not blade count:

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***I think this proves that optical formula is what makes boken, not blade count:***

erm I'd rather have OOF round circles from 15 blades, for high lights, than say Pentagons from 5 blades.

E.g. ETRs 75mm with pentagons in the trees