Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Annoying Phraseology
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Annoying Phraseology Reply with quote

As a fierce proponent of the English language there are a few words I find extremely annoying used by some members on our forum,Minty? I have never owned any photo equipment which tasted minty,but then again I don't lick my equipment. Dude? Who and what does this infer? Anyone care to submit their particular annoying use of the language ?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Annoying Phraseology Reply with quote

I think it means "looks fresh as mint". )

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think minty means that the glass or barrel has a greenish color. I think dude is a reference to user's admiration of the addressee's fancy chaps and silver spurs.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Bokehlicious"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gaeger wrote:
I think minty means that the glass or barrel has a greenish color. I think dude is a reference to user's admiration of the addressee's fancy chaps and silver spurs.
Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As English is not my native tongue, I may have missed some subtle linguistic cue that the OP indeed knows the origin of the word minty, and just wants to express his annoyance with the use of the word, but here goes:
The expression "fresh from the mint" refers to coins coming straight from the mint (the place where coins are made) and have not been in circulation (i.e. brand spanking new). This expression has then evolved into "mint condition" and finally, we´re down to "minty".

People probably mistake mint for peppermint, and think that the freshness refers to that which is experienced when chewing gum or brushing your teeth with peppermint flavored tooth paste.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Character

Not all lenses are perfect. Sometimes the owner of a lens will try to ignore an imperfection. If however this becomes difficult, the fault is turned into a positive attribute and the lens is said to have character.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dynamic Range - as used by DPReview.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both are slang which continues to pollute the English language.

Some history: Ambrose Bierce,in his dictionary,called slang "The grunt of the human Hog"
1989 Oxford English Dictionary defines slang as"The special vocabulary used by any set of persons of a lower disreputable character; "Language of a low and vulgar type".

Minty: Suggesting the taste or flavour of mint,an herb known as spearmint,ergo Mint Julep.

Dude:Olde Scottish origin Duddie or Dude to express how a Woman was dressed.(16th Century)
The term"Dude" was first used in print in 1876 ,in Putnam's Magazine,to mock how a woman was dressed.

In"The Home and Farm manual(1863)" author Jonathan Periam used the term Dude several times to denote ill-bred and ignorant,but ostentatious,man from the city.

Bokehlicious: yes certainly qualifies.

"Minty" Does my Tamron 60B qualify?

Yes English is confusing,New from the mint is a different connotation.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sichko wrote:
Dynamic Range - as used by DPReview.

That is soooo... funny, and so true!

I was once forum-lynched and branded as a cruel pedant for criticizing someone's spelling. I would be careful if I was you kryss. What if your dream lens suddenly appears on Ebay for pennies described as "minty." Will you object before you buy it? I bought myself a "minty" lens just last month and guess what I said to myself when I received it? "Wow, this sucker really is minty!"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also hate when "Darling, would you like cream with your coffee?" gets confused with "*@!-, you ruined my entire life!!"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have created a new English dialect! "Photoforum English", English influenced by a globalized comunity of eccentric photo nerds around the globe! Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before this thread gets rightfully shipped out to the CafeLounge.........

My pet hate is 'the proof is in the pudding'

when it should be 'the proof of the pudding is in the eating'

has a festive season flavour don't you think?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff Zen: must have been P....X forum, I was banned for life for criticizing a female poster who posted a very lengthy diatribe describing a lens she won equal to her first make up and first training Bra. And believe me I would never buy a lens etc. described as minty,I would immediately judge the seller as not having a clue what he was selling.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would it be redirected ? invariably "minty" is often used when perusing lenses etc, on EvilBay.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"EvilBay" there's another one.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"respond back" and "refer back" are two that Californians use ALL the time. Very redundant.

"Very unique" is another. Unique is an absolute word, so something is either unique or not.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barryreid: you caught it...couldn't resist Laughing

Last edited by kryss on Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as I know what somebody means, they must be doing something right with language. Laughing

(*compiles a list of words to use ad nauseum next april 1st)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos652... Like.."After the Company Tennis match,rackets must be returned to the sports facility and balls to the President"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
Jeff Zen: must have been P....X forum, I was banned for life for criticizing a female poster who posted a very lengthy diatribe describing a lens she won equal to her first make up and first training Bra. And believe me I would never buy a lens etc. described as minty,I would immediately judge the seller as not having a clue what he was selling.

Kryss, some of my best low-priced purchases of rare and valuable and most of all very useful lenses have been from sellers who didn't know what they were. Are you sure you want to give up such opportunities?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Annoying Phraseology Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
As a fierce proponent of the English language

Well there is the King or Queen's English and everything else Laughing My annoyance is replacing lovely English words:- e.g. how can you call a garden full of flowers and lovely lawn....a "yard". And it goes on.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromm.. I also have been fortunate in buying rare and valuable lenses at very low prices from buyers who did not know what they were,but NON were presented as minty,I buy on knowledge and condition of item. Regards,

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love English and how words can have many meanings:

I couple of years ago when Manchester United were about to play a top team in the last four of the Champions League, a friend told me, "Ferguson hasn't been this worried about a semi since watching Brokeback Mountain!" Laughing