Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

An interesting little gadget
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: An interesting little gadget Reply with quote

Picked this up off flea-bay the other day. It came with a Pentax A SMC f2 50mm free. Only got the stereo adapter though. Should have waited and picked up the matching stereo viewer too.

Even with a lot of digital jiggery-pokery, it took me ages to work out why it wasn't producing very good results on my Pentax K-m. Needs to be used on a full frame camera. DOH! Luckily I have a Pentacon 1.8/50 with a 49mm filter thread and much better results then on my 5D.

If you have a pair of RED/CYAN comedy glasses you can view some samples on flickr here

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil or Very Mad

Looking for one of those for ages.
Apparently hey can be had new, but the price is beyond good and evil.

One day I will catch a cheap one...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations - those are cool for special effects. Even without the viewer you get a nice twin photograph.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ask me, the best and most universal way for viewing the pictures is to master cross and/or parallel viewing, then there is no more need for a viewer. It may take some practice at first but it is totally worth the effort. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried it, but wasn't very happy with these types of splitters.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fullframe and 50mm is a good matching combo for these stereo device.
I used with very good results the small Zeiss stereo-prism for close-up photography with 2.4/35mm Flektogon on my Sigma SD14. Made anaglyphic pictures and printed them.

Klaus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8310 wrote:
If you ask me, the best and most universal way for viewing the pictures is to master cross and/or parallel viewing, then there is no more need for a viewer. It may take some practice at first but it is totally worth the effort. Very Happy

I'm not familiar with this. Can you link to explanation?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8310 wrote:
Evil or Very Mad

Looking for one of those for ages.
Apparently hey can be had new, but the price is beyond good and evil.

One day I will catch a cheap one...

Yes, saw a couple of BNIB ones on flea-bay but rather spend that sort of money on lenses Smile They were asking around $380

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:
8310 wrote:

I'm not familiar with this. Can you link to explanation?

Here: http://www.neilcreek.com/blog/2008/02/28/how-to-see-3d-photos/

and one of my images to test cross view out Wink

This one allows parallel view (rightmost 2 images) and cross view (leftmost 2):

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, thanks for the explanation. Speaking personally, I'd rather resort to the comedy glasses. The cross-eyed approach I find very difficult.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bid on one of those a couple weeks ago, but I was away from computers at auction's end and another won it for US$30 or so. I've since scanned eBay for STEREO PENTAX and find that Loreo has stereo lens setups for APS-C Pentax, Canon and Nikon dSLR's, priced around US$130. That is beyond my budget at the moment -- I must sell some more lenses before I can buy any more toys -- but it certainly is enticing.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can achieve the same result without the adapter. You just need to take two shots of the same subject and move the camera to one side about 80mm between shots. There are lots of detailed explanations on the web, but there is a one page explanation here

This method gives two shots, each full frame. The adapter is limited to two half frame shots.

A lot of people seem to use the technique for macro photos too.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn! Now I can't uncross my eyes. I look like Ben Turpin.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:

not a good look for the new year Laughing
I have been curious about these adapters....is it plastic?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Farside wrote:

not a good look for the new year Laughing
I have been curious about these adapters....is it plastic?

LOL Smile Smile

Moira: Yes, the one I have is a heavyweight plastic, almost like BAKELITE. It has a 49mm filter adapter on the camera side which can rotate 180degrees once it is screwed onto the lens. They also seem to come in 52mm variety too. See here for the user guide.

I have seen on the interweb that some people like the Zeiss stereo-prism splitters over the Pentax stereo mirror ones but also vice versa.

I think it is definitely a one trick pony and only works with a 50mm lens between 2m and 7m but a lot easier than taking twin tripod shots. However, if you want stereo 3D outside of these parameters then manual methods are the only real way to go.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Martyn,It's something I would probably never use but if one popped up cheaply I would not say no to it Very Happy
It is an amazing little gadget...cool effect.