Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Agfa Record II and Braun Paxina
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Agfa Record II and Braun Paxina Reply with quote

Ignore the shonky bits of cardboard - just what was available at the time for a quick and dirty shot.

The Record II has an Apotar 4.5/105 in a Prontor-S shutter. Speeds B and 1sec - 1/250. Middling quality lens as far as I know, not fantastic. It's very clean though and I sincerely hope it's not light leaky - the bellows look very fresh. In fact, the whole camera looks like it just came out of the dealer's shop last week.
The item on top is a Pullin rangefinder - pure fluke I found one of these for peanuts and it's supposed to be one of the best.

The Paxina has a Beyreuth Praxar 3.5/75 in a Pronto shutter; speeds B and 1/25 - 1/200. Not that I expect great things from this - it's really a handycam for MF snapshots and I was just tickled with the tube design. Again, it's very clean, but does show signs of use.

Of the two, the Agfa is much more solid feeling and I think I'm going to enjoy using it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are in good looking shape. It would be fun to shoot with them... I look forward to hearing / seeing your experience. I've been tempted by one or another of those extending tube cameras, they are such gizmos.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice ones! Left one looks E.T. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, nice cameras!!.
The Record II is very similar to the Isolette, so check carefully the bellows before dropping a roll in...

Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, bellows aside, the Record is suffering the same disease as many Isolettes - frozen focus ring caused by Agfa's green grease going solid. Slightly annoying, but fixable.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
Well, bellows aside, the Record is suffering the same disease as many Isolettes - frozen focus ring caused by Agfa's green grease going solid. Slightly annoying, but fixable.

Really?. I'd like to know how... Smile
My Isolette's focus ring is barely moveable without a clamp Wink

Jes.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
Farside wrote:

Really?. I'd like to know how... Smile
My Isolette's focus ring is barely moveable without a clamp Wink

Jes,
"Isolette frozen focus" brings up many instances. The cure is always the same - strip and clean out the green muck.
http://tinyurl.com/6k4akz
Mine has three tiny screws to slacken first before I can remove the front ring and then get the lens cell out - of course, one of the screws is blocked by the fold-down flap. Sad

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I've just found the bellow on the Record II are pin-holed in a couple of places. I discovered this by the flashlight bulb inside the bellows trick.
Damn, damn, damn.
Still, it's easily cured with some black rubber glue.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
Now I've just found the bellow on the Record II are pin-holed in a couple of places.

All non-leather Agfa bellows are pin-holed, unless they have been repaired or replaced. I've never encountered an exception to that rule...

Sevo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, it seems to be the norm and it's surprising it's lasted 50 years as it is. I'll do a repair and shoot a roll or two to see what the lens quality is like and then might spend some money on getting a decent set of bellows on it. I wouldn't be surprised if the camera was put aside because of the light leaks and the resulting decades in a drawer caused the lens seizure.