Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Agfa Record II and Braun Paxina
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Agfa Record II and Braun Paxina Reply with quote

Ignore the shonky bits of cardboard - just what was available at the time for a quick and dirty shot.

The Record II has an Apotar 4.5/105 in a Prontor-S shutter. Speeds B and 1sec - 1/250. Middling quality lens as far as I know, not fantastic. It's very clean though and I sincerely hope it's not light leaky - the bellows look very fresh. In fact, the whole camera looks like it just came out of the dealer's shop last week.
The item on top is a Pullin rangefinder - pure fluke I found one of these for peanuts and it's supposed to be one of the best.

The Paxina has a Beyreuth Praxar 3.5/75 in a Pronto shutter; speeds B and 1/25 - 1/200. Not that I expect great things from this - it's really a handycam for MF snapshots and I was just tickled with the tube design. Again, it's very clean, but does show signs of use.

Of the two, the Agfa is much more solid feeling and I think I'm going to enjoy using it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are in good looking shape. It would be fun to shoot with them... I look forward to hearing / seeing your experience. I've been tempted by one or another of those extending tube cameras, they are such gizmos.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice ones! Left one looks E.T. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, nice cameras!!.
The Record II is very similar to the Isolette, so check carefully the bellows before dropping a roll in...

Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, bellows aside, the Record is suffering the same disease as many Isolettes - frozen focus ring caused by Agfa's green grease going solid. Slightly annoying, but fixable.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
Well, bellows aside, the Record is suffering the same disease as many Isolettes - frozen focus ring caused by Agfa's green grease going solid. Slightly annoying, but fixable.

Really?. I'd like to know how... Smile
My Isolette's focus ring is barely moveable without a clamp Wink

Jes.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
Farside wrote:

Really?. I'd like to know how... Smile
My Isolette's focus ring is barely moveable without a clamp Wink

Jes,
"Isolette frozen focus" brings up many instances. The cure is always the same - strip and clean out the green muck.
http://tinyurl.com/6k4akz
Mine has three tiny screws to slacken first before I can remove the front ring and then get the lens cell out - of course, one of the screws is blocked by the fold-down flap. Sad

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I've just found the bellow on the Record II are pin-holed in a couple of places. I discovered this by the flashlight bulb inside the bellows trick.
Damn, damn, damn.
Still, it's easily cured with some black rubber glue.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
Now I've just found the bellow on the Record II are pin-holed in a couple of places.

All non-leather Agfa bellows are pin-holed, unless they have been repaired or replaced. I've never encountered an exception to that rule...

Sevo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, it seems to be the norm and it's surprising it's lasted 50 years as it is. I'll do a repair and shoot a roll or two to see what the lens quality is like and then might spend some money on getting a decent set of bellows on it. I wouldn't be surprised if the camera was put aside because of the light leaks and the resulting decades in a drawer caused the lens seizure.