Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A Tamron Sonnar
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: A Tamron Sonnar Reply with quote

Tamron model 860 - "Spectra Coligon" branded - 200mm f/2.8, apparently Sonnar-formula - exactly the same as the Olympia Sonnar, 5 elements in three groups, the middle 3 cemented.

This is a very odd duck - one of the most difficult early Tamrons to find, and possibly the most ambitious lens Tamron tried to make.

I picked this up recently in a very interesting lot (see the Steky subminiature I'm selling in the Marketplace), and it came with all accessories, including case, hood, caps, etc. It just needed a bit of cleaning internally and externally.

I will work up a portfolio with this thing, but the initial impressions are very positive. It is a beast of a lens though, and thats because it has an extremely thick third element (as it would as a Sonnar), and, basically because this thing is not only heavily built, its full of glass.

This was obviously meant to be a prestige product for Tamron, along with other big glass of 1960, the 5.6/400 and 1.2/58 (AKA "Taika Harigon"). Nothing like going after the Zeiss Sonnar to make a reputation. I guess it didn't work too well, as later Tamron lenses were all much less ambitious. Maybe all this big glass was too expensive to make.

Some items of interest - Just like some other early Tamrons, it has a rear filter holder that takes Series V, identical to the one Tamron used in the 5.6/400 model 340. It is a T-mount, and it came with a VERY nice chrome brass Exakta mount. Considering that this thing came out in 1960, that may be one of the first T-mounts made. "Spectra" was an early US distributors brand that seems to have pre-existed Aetna, which took over trademarks like "Coligon". These trademarks are also seen under the "Taika" brand. Very few Tamrons of the time were sold under the Tamron brand.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a beauty! I like it really, congrats! I look forward your bird Wink in Gallery.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely looking lens. I'm quite envious and that's not something early 60s lenses normally arouse in me Mr. Green