Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

80-200 Class Zoom Comparison. Feel Free to Add Yours.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coase wrote:
cooltouch wrote:
Very good, Stephan. It looks to me like that old 2-ring formulation of Canon's (the 80-200mm f/4) comports itself very well against the other -- more premium -- optics. That Zeiss is remarkable though. Its corner sharpness at f/4 is almost as good as it is at f/11.

< . . . >

Stephan was testing the one touch L zoom which in my experience is clearly better than the non L 2 ring.

Actually, he tested both. The very top lens is the 2-ring 80-200/4 and then the one immediately below it is the 80-200/4 L.

At f/4, yes, the L outperforms the 2-ring. But at f/11, I can't really see much difference between the two.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coase wrote:
cooltouch wrote:
Very good, Stephan. It looks to me like that old 2-ring formulation of Canon's (the 80-200mm f/4) comports itself very well against the other -- more premium -- optics. That Zeiss is remarkable though. Its corner sharpness at f/4 is almost as good as it is at f/11.

You're performing a valuable service here. I don't have a FF digital -- just the APS-C NEX 7 and an APS-C Canon with much lower resolution, so I couldn't evaluate corner sharpness even if I wanted to.

Stephan was testing the one touch L zoom which in my experience is clearly better than the non L 2 ring.

I was testing both of them, the nFD 4/80-200mm ("two ring") and the nFD 4/80-200mm L ("one touch"). Both results are included, and they look remarkably similar. At least my 80-200L has wide open a bit more monochromatic aberrations, while the the non-L clearly has more color aberrations (CAs). The main problem with both Canon FD 4/80-200mm, at f=200mm, is field curvature. If you re-focus the Canon corners at f4, they are as good as the Zeiss. But then the center is blurred, of course. The Zeiss is very even over its entire (full frame) image field. However, the Canon L images look very pure, since there are no longitudinal CAs ("color fringing"). Even at f4, when the Zeiss is sharper, I often prefer the Canon L because of its clear colors.

Antoine wrote:
Stephan
Pity you did not include Minolta md 70-210 f/4 as one went for 9.99£ last night on ebay...
(is it same design as Leica R4?

I have lots of other zooms in that range, and i had to select a few. The Minolta is the same design as the Leica, and therefore I didn't include it.

I may go on, now comparing the different designs of the manufactures, eg

0) Mamiya Sekor C 4.5/105-210mm (we all may be surprised about that one)
1) Canon FD 4/80-200, 4/80-200L, 4.5/75-200, 5.6/100-200
2) Nikon Ai 4.5/80-200 (I), AiS 4.5/80-200 (II), E 4/70-210, AF 2.8/80-200 ED
3) Minolta MC 4.5/80-200, MD 4.5/75-200, MD 4/70-210, MD 5.6/100-200, AF 2.8/70-200 APO G, and Leica R 4/70-210
4) Konica AR 3.5/80-200, AR 4/80-200 UC, AR 4/80-200 (Tokina design??)
5) Zeiss Vario Sonnar 3.5/70-210 and 4/80-200; Yashica ML 4/80-200 (I) and (II), ML 4.5/70-210
6) a few selected Tokina and Tamron designs

Sadly I can't test the Mamiya Sekor E lenses since i don't have an adapter. I suspect some of them to be hidden gems.

Stephan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give him time, Antoine. Stephan still has another five zooms that he hasn't shown anything about their performance yet.

I need to get busy. I think I still have two more zooms to put up.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next to last in this comparison is the Tamron 103A 80-210mm f/3.8-4. Tamron made two zooms with this exact focal range and aperture values. The other one is the 03A. This is the later of the two and supposedly has better optical performance. In my experiences, shooting with this lens and film cameras, it performed very well. In my view, this lens is another example of a standard Tamron that performs worthy of an "SP" designation.

Please note, in the photos below, there is no example for 210mm @ f/16. I just forgot to take a pic at that setting.

Details: NEX 7 @ ISO 100, Tamron 103A 80-210mm f/3.8-4:

80mm f/3.8:

135mm f/3.9:

210mm f/4:

80mm f/8:

135mm f/8:

210mm f/8:

80mm f/16:

135mm f/16:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last but not least is the Tokina 70-210mm f/4-5.6 SD. This is a very compact lens. Shorter than many 135mm lenses. But in order to achieve this compact size, Tokina had to design a lens with a variable aperture. It has Tokina's SD glass, and because of this, the red stripe, but no AT-X designation. This one-touch zoom has a very firm zoom collar, so absolutely no slippage is experienced. The lens also has a macro setting -- maximum magnification is 1:4. My example is in Pentax KA mount, so I've used it only with Pentax 35mm cameras, and it's done well. I have a K adapter for my NEX, I've just never used it on the NEX until this comparison. Let's see how it does.

Details: NEX 7 @ ISO 100, Tokina 70-210mm f/4-5.6 SD

70mm f/4:

135mm f/4.5:

210mm f/5.6:

70mm f/8:

135mm f/9:

210mm f/11:

70mm f/16:

135mm f/18:

210mm f/22:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done some crops of the point of focus in the above photos, namely the closest dragon gargoyle to the camera -- on the second tier, looking like it's roaring right at you.

Because it was a very low contrast day, and the subject itself was very low in contrast, I may have missed best focus with some of these lenses, so don't regard my examples as definitive proof one way or another. If anything, if a soft image is found that came from a known sharp lens, then I would be inclined to shoot the subject again at that setting.

So, if you're interested in these crops, I'll put them up. Each is a 100% crop from the original image.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

... I may have missed best focus with some of these lenses,

That's a serious problem i did encounter as well, especially since the e-mount of the A7 series (including the A7RII) is rather ... flexible, to say it mildly. Therefore, in my telezoom test i put the camera and the tele-zoom on a flat, stable wooden balcony - i other words i was not setting the camera on a tripod. These zooms are far too heavy and too long for that. Just to give an example: If you mount a Zeiss Otus 1.4/28mm (1.6 kg) on a Sony A7RII, the mount on the camera tilts about 0.5-1mm !! Of course the excellent performance of the Otus cannot be seen under such conditions. And similar problems would occur, of course, if you mount the camera on a tripod and add the 0.5-1kg telezoom...

cooltouch wrote:

so don't regard my examples as definitive proof one way or another.

yeah, i know ...

cooltouch wrote:

So, if you're interested in these crops, I'll put them up. Each is a 100% crop from the original image.

I think that would be helpful!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

Yes, please. Smile

I don't mean to offend but this thread looks a bit insane with so many images. And to me they all look nearly the same, plus it's impossible to compare them side by side unless you download them. I know it's a lot of work, but I also think the subject matter just isn't the best for such a test.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephan, I was using adapters for Nikon to NEX and Canon FD to NEX that have their own tripod mounts. So the camera wasn't having to support any weight but its own. And the lenses locked securely into place in the adapters, so there was no deflection there. The only exception was the Tamron 80-200mm f/2.8. It comes with a BIG tripod mount, so I used its instead of the adapter's mount. Still for the camera, all it had to support was its own weight.

Miran, I agree. Finding an interesting subject here in Houston is not an easy task. If the weather would have been sunny, I would have gone down to a park that has a great view of the city's skyline. There's lots of detail there and I'd be focusing at infinity or very close to it, which would give insights into how the lenses fared at infinity. Even though that cathedral was pretty far away, I wasn't able to set any of my lenses to infinity for my subject. I still had to move the focusing collar a slight amount to keep the subject in focus.

The weather is still depressingly bad. It's been over a week here with no sun. I'm beginning to think I've been magically transported to the British Isles.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over here in the British Isles it's been so cold, gray and wet I haven't even bothered looking at a camera for a few weeks. Sad

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tokina SD is indeed a very fine little lens, capable of surprising results.
A very solid, well made piece as well.
I've had one for a few decades with my Pentax film cameras, I always had it in the bag with the LX.
A nice compact lens for good light.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Over here in the British Isles it's been so cold, gray and wet I haven't even bothered looking at a camera for a few weeks. Sad
Early Morning is your best bet, about sunrise.Especially if it has been cold.Some excellent misty and frosty material out there.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in West Cairo, eh, um, that is, Houston, we're lucky to get anything misty or frosty early in the morning, unless we're having a good cold snap, which we haven't had in a couple of weeks -- we actually had snow one morning! But anyway, with this weather, and at these temperatures -- typically in the 50s F -- what's that, maybe 10C or so? -- it just gradually gets lighter from a dark gloom to a somewhat less dark gloom. Cool

Some of y'all have perhaps noted before how I refer to Houston as West Cairo or Cairo West. Just take a look at a globe or a map of the world, find Houston and the parallel it's closest to. Next follow that parallel eastward. You'll eventually reach Cairo, which lies on almost exactly the same parallel. Hence the name.

Luis, I'm inclined to agree with your assessment wrt that little Tokina. It appears to be very well made, and although small, is a solid and hefty little lump. I agree when you say "for good light." On a well lit day, its slower nature won't be an issue.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie46 wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Early Morning is your best bet, about sunrise.Especially if it has been cold.Some excellent misty and frosty material out there.

Good tip, and I've tried that in the past. Here at the moment, it's just very dull and gray and constantly drizzling or raining. I was looking back at some of my shots from previous Decembers and the difference in weather is clear - this is just a miserable year. Sad

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got me a cheap Tokina SD 70-210, too. Preliminary tests showed the same thing: compact lens, usable wide open, just a little bit soft on the long end. Really decent stopped down.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big R wrote:
Got me a cheap Tokina SD 70-210, too. Preliminary tests showed the same thing: compact lens, usable wide open, just a little bit soft on the long end. Really decent stopped down.

Just had a look on eBay at Tokina SD 70-210, f4-5.6, lenses. Quite a range of prices.

I did notice two variations of what appeared to be the same lens, one had a red II on the front of the lens and the other didn't.

Does anyone know the significance of that "Red II" ?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere it designates an improved version (better glass? can't really remember) and it's supposed to be to 'T's (one upside down).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big R wrote:
I read somewhere it designates an improved version (better glass? can't really remember) and it's supposed to be to 'T's (one upside down).

Thanks, I did a Google search and found a reference on other forums saying it was an improved multi-coated version with better contrast.
It does look like a "double T" symbol, though eBay listings refer to it as II.

Cheers,

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having been to both Cairo and Houston the latitude is not the only similarity, there traffic similarities, air quality similarities... Wink

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 80-200 Class Zoom Comparison. Feel Free to Add Yours. Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

The lenses I tested were:

Albinar 80-200mm f/3.9

Interesting how well that one panned out compared to some real competition.
I just got one as part of a Ricoh bundle, and wasn't too impressed at first, but digging around it seems it's not the worst by a long way.
I'll sling it on the 5DII and get some results soon.
I suspect it might be a Samyang, and it cropped up in at least half a dozen own-brand names. This one is labelled "Ranger", so probably an own-brand of an importer in the UK.
<edit> Just found it. Imported into the UK from Korea by JJ Silber Ltd, Wembley.
I'd certainly heard of them in connection with other photo gear, and probably encountered some other Ranger stuff of theirs.
I found the Ricoh Pin Problem right away. Never had it before, but soon took care of that.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sort of confirms what I have found with the Tamron 103-A.
I agree it's worthy of the SP designation.

The other, and not on this list is the old venerable Vivitar Series 1 (Kino) 70-210 f3.5.
Apart from some slightly low contrast, it is an able performer, especially at the 210mm end.

The final variant Nikkor 80-200mm f 4.5 (n) with the baffle over the rear element seems to be decent enough in my hands, and is surprisingly good at portraiture at the 80mm end.

Of these, the Tamron sees the most use from me.
It is slightly smaller than the Nikkor, and is a better fit in my somewhat small daily carry bag.

-D.S.