Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

3D stereo experiments with adapted MF lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hornet mimic hoverfly Volucella zonata A7r3 with Printing-Nikkor 105mm at f11.

Crosseye and conventional.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
Domiplan in the forest.

Love this one with the deep tracks on the ground!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Soligor 35 mm f/2.8 )

Last edited by simple.joy on Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see the cross-eyed stereoscopic images, but after a short while it does feel uncomfortable to the (my) eyes.

For the stereoscopic film-based images there used to be the dedicated viewers such as the View-Master.

Is anyone aware of some modern reasonable-budget equivalent for viewing digital stereoscopic images when displayed on a computer monitor? (ie. a pair of lenses/goggles you can wear to see the 3D effect when both paired images are displayed side-by-side on the monitor screen?)

I did a quick search on-line, but nothing obvious came up other than a clip-on attachment for use with a mobile phone...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
I can see the cross-eyed stereoscopic images, but after a short while it does feel uncomfortable to the (my) eyes.

For the stereoscopic film-based images there used to be the dedicated viewers such as the View-Master.

Is anyone aware of some modern reasonable-budget equivalent for viewing digital stereoscopic images when displayed on a computer monitor? (ie. a pair of lenses/goggles you can wear to see the 3D effect when both paired images are displayed side-by-side on the monitor screen?)

I did a quick search on-line, but nothing obvious came up other than a clip-on attachment for use with a mobile phone...

I have seen such devices (not recently) which are a bit like crossed (X shape) monoculars.

Why not try pasting stereo pairs into documents then print and literally cut a and paste into a Victorian type of viewer?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

e6filmuser wrote:
RokkorDoctor wrote:

I have seen such devices (not recently) which are a bit like crossed (X shape) monoculars.

Why not try pasting stereo pairs into documents then print and literally cut a and paste into a Victorian type of viewer?

Printing them would be a workaround, but it would be easier if something existed that worked for bigger images displayed on-screen.

Maybe I should try make something myself one day; I have plenty of spare lens elements and groups to experiment with leftover from donor lenses Wink

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
e6filmuser wrote:
RokkorDoctor wrote:

Printing them would be a workaround, but it would be easier if something existed that worked for bigger images displayed on-screen.

Maybe I should try make something myself one day; I have plenty of spare lens elements and groups to experiment with leftover from donor lenses Wink

I don't think it's about lenses, more about restricting/guiding each eye to viewing where the opposite one would normally be looking. The main issue is to minimise or eliminate viewing at different heights. I once considered a X of tubes where the crossroads was unobstructed but enclosed to keep out light from the sides, top and bottom. Perhaps use an external frame like used to keep reunited, broken bones aligned?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Vines Retro-Lumax 35 mm f/2.8 )

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pair of pears! Smile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e6filmuser wrote:
Nice pair of pears! Smile

Indeed, great shots!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to photograph the pink flowers of an ornamental cherry plant, open only yesterday and being blown of by gusts of wind. So it was a matter of waiting for lulls in the wind.

The m4/3 EM_1 had the Schneider Componon-S 100mm f5.6 on ca 75mm of extension. The A7r3 had the Zenitar 50mm f1.7 at its closest focus. Both lenses were at f11.

The images are not the best they could be but may be of interest. They are crosseye stereos. The first is from the Componon. The second is from the Zenitar. The third is from the Zenitar, individual frames cropped to similar view to that of the Componon (f22 equivalent for DOF).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e6filmuser wrote:
I wanted to photograph the pink flowers of an ornamental cherry plant, open only yesterday and being blown of by gusts of wind. So it was a matter of waiting for lulls in the wind.

The m4/3 EM_1 had the Schneider Componon-S 100mm f5.6 on ca 75mm of extension. The A7r3 had the Zenitar 50mm f1.7 at its closest focus. Both lenses were at f11.

The images are not the best they could be but may be of interest. They are crosseye stereos. The first is from the Componon. The second is from the Zenitar. The third is from the Zenitar, individual frames cropped to similar view to that of the Componon (f22 equivalent for DOF).

Great shots! I like the Zenitar one best because of its look.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a macro shot:

(Rodenstock Rogonar-SP 57 mm f/5.6)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple.joy wrote:

Great shots! I like the Zenitar one best because of its look.

I bought that lens recently, it's bokeh having been admired here, and I was not disappointed.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots guys!

The nature theme continues. Here are two with the Super Multi Coated Takumar 50mm 1.4.
They are being unkind to the forest.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An excellent stereo effect.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick tip for those who like I do have trouble acheiveing the cross-eye effect on your monitor: It's a lot easier to do on a smaller screen like your phone or a tablet, since your eyes don't have to cross nearly as much to get the two sides of the image to line up correctly.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting piece. What are we looking at here?

simple.joy wrote:
Here's a macro shot:

(Rodenstock Rogonar-SP 57 mm f/5.6)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianSVP wrote:
A quick tip for those who like I do have trouble acheiveing the cross-eye effect on your monitor: It's a lot easier to do on a smaller screen like your phone or a tablet, since your eyes don't have to cross nearly as much to get the two sides of the image to line up correctly.

That's useful. I hadn't seen that one before. The same applies to your own images at thumbnail size.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianSVP wrote:
Interesting piece. What are we looking at here?

Thanks! I think it's called a cherry stoner... a device that removes the stones from cherries. Quite useful, but also makes a real mess, so best to keep it far away from any clothing you don't want to get full of stains... 😅

Here's something different:

(Fuji P-Fujinon 2 1/2 inch f/1.7 projection lens)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
Nice shots guys!

The nature theme continues. Here are two with the Super Multi Coated Takumar 50mm 1.4.
They are being unkind to the forest.

Love this one! Excellent depth and well chosen scene.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="simple.joy"]
blotafton wrote:
Nice shots guys!

Love this one! Excellent depth and well chosen scene.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These were made with an Agfa Color-Agolar 60 mm f/2.8 slide projection lens:

Colors are not great in preview... so I'd recommend opening in a new tab!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 135 f4 on A7r3, closest focus, f11, ISO 800, cloudy. Images processed normally.

This lens arrived today. The weather was not good but there were a few minutes when there was minimal air movement. It is not a macro lens but there were no other subjects to hand. The cherry blossom was past its best.

The stereos are crosseye.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e6filmuser wrote:

This is a very good one! Well done.

Here are two with the Steinheil Cassar-S 50 mm f/2.8: