Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

3D stereo experiments with adapted MF lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

e6filmuser wrote:
kds315* wrote:

I am very experienced at viewing stereo pairs but I can't make the yellow one work. The green one works but looks very flat.

Of course, as these were NOT 3D images, but all shot from the same angle! I wanted to show that 3D vision can be used to make DIFFERENCES visible!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting back to using my Printing-Nikkor 150mm.

The images I have recently uploaded here were for about 7 years ago. Yesterday, with a good quality x1.4 TC behind the extension, I photographed a rare form of the Wolf's Milk slime mold in which reddish extrusions form what has been called the nipples/teats of a mother wolf (use your imagination).
I stated at about 1:1 and then went to a bit closer to 2:1. I adjusted the positions of the movable diaphragm for these values. The DOF being very shallow, the aperture was f11*.

* The TC made these, effectively, 1.4 times as large for the magnification and smaller for the aperture.

I used the Nissin Air 1 flash system with 2 Di700A flash units. They are supposed to retain the settings used in the previous session. I switched one on and found this to be the case (TTL & RC). I switched other on confidently, without checking (big mistake).

When I started shooting, I found the images severely over-exposed. I moved the guns back a long way and lowered the ISO to 50.

Afterwards I investigated. One gun was on manual, a setting I never use. I find the settings tricky to select, even with the instructions to hand. With both guns on, I started trying to alter the settings on the maverick one, with no success. Then there was a "beep" and both guns were showing the correct settings. So, having had half an hour or so to do that during the session.

So, the lighting was not as I intended but I think it is worth sharing the images. [Edit] This was one of the very rare occasions when I used a hood for this kind of subject, where I have control of the lighting. The lens has a 62mm filter thread, which I stepped down to 55mm for the hood[/Edit]. The DOF was identical but the way it contributes to the 3D effect varies.

The server refuses to upload my images so please click on their addresses at my main host site:

https://www.e-group.uk.net/forum/filedata/fetch?id=971022&d=1712392085&type=large

https://www.e-group.uk.net/forum/filedata/fetch?id=971023&d=1712392106

https://www.e-group.uk.net/forum/filedata/fetch?id=971024&d=1712392183

Last edited by e6filmuser on Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice ones! Quite an interesting subject!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
nice ones! Quite an interesting subject!

Thanks. It's quite common on rotting wood, starting salmon pink for 24-48 hours, turning grey, any time of the year. Fruiting bodies a few mm diam, from single to several. This stage is short-lived and only occasional.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both taken with a (Tomioka) Yashica Auto-Yashinon 5 cm f/2:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been eyeing this thread with some interest, as I'd never experimented with stereo imaging before. Today, I took my camera along with me on my weekend walk in the park, along with the VS1 28mm f/1.9, to see if I could capture anything interesting. I chose this lens as it offers a nice combination of wide angle, subject isolation capability, and fairly close focusing if necessary.

This park in Philadelphia follows the Wissahickon Creek, a tributary of the Schuylkill, and its rugged trails, crumbling stone walls, bridges, and offer a lot of interesting 3d arrangements and textures, that I was hoping to take advantage of.

These were all done with the StereoPhoto Maker Pro software and techinques recommended upthread. They all seem to be aligned pretty well, as I can get a nice 3d view of all of them through cross-eyed viewing. These are just what I picke dout and processed on a first pass, as I ended up actually taking about 400 pairs over the course of a 2 hour walk! Definitely a learning experience in what kind of compositions work best for 3d viewing. Anyway, on to some pics. Hope you enjoy them!

There are very few flowers that have bloomed yet in the park, and other vegetation is just beginning to really sprout, so only a few vegetation/bokeh shots to start:

(This one was taken with a different lens, Retina Xenon 50mm f/1.9 on Vivitar macro focusing teleconverter)

The rest are a combination of trail shots, textures, interesting fallen trees (some as the result of heavy rains the earthquake we just had):

(light changed pretty signifcantly between the two shots on this one.)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianSVP wrote:
I've been eyeing this thread with some interest, as I'd never experimented with stereo imaging before. Today, I took my camera along with me on my weekend walk in the park, along with the VS1 28mm f/1.9, to see if I could capture anything interesting. I chose this lens as it offers a nice combination of wide angle, subject isolation capability, and fairly close focusing if necessary.

This park in Philadelphia follows the Wissahickon Creek, a tributary of the Schuylkill, and its rugged trails, crumbling stone walls, bridges, and offer a lot of interesting 3d arrangements and textures, that I was hoping to take advantage of.

These were all done with the StereoPhoto Maker Pro software and techinques recommended upthread. They all seem to be aligned pretty well, as I can get a nice 3d view of all of them through cross-eyed viewing. These are just what I picke dout and processed on a first pass, as I ended up actually taking about 400 pairs over the course of a 2 hour walk! Definitely a learning experience in what kind of compositions work best for 3d viewing. Anyway, on to some pics. Hope you enjoy them!

There are very few flowers that have bloomed yet in the park, and other vegetation is just beginning to really sprout, so only a few vegetation/bokeh shots to start:

Nice shots! Some of them seems to be parallel and some cross eyed. There is a swap button on my version of StereoPhoto maker (not pro). I think it depends on if you take the left or right image first. I'm not sure but I shoot both ways and just swap for cross eyed viewing if necessary.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Just double checked and all are correctly in the cross eyed orientation, which they should be, as I was careful to take all left-right shots in the same order. Perhaps you are getting tripped up by some of the flatter compositions?

blotafton wrote:
BrianSVP wrote:

Nice shots! Some of them seems to be parallel and some cross eyed. There is a swap button on my version of StereoPhoto maker (not pro). I think it depends on if you take the left or right image first. I'm not sure but I shoot both ways and just swap for cross eyed viewing if necessary.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianSVP wrote:

Great shots - some really effective ones!

blotafton is correct though... a good number of them isn't cross-view oriented but parallel, namely these:

BrianSVP wrote:

Try swapping them in software and you'll notice the difference. In all of these the background tries to become the foreground if you view them cross eyed... Yes, they still offer some depth perception, but it isn't the full effect and the things in the background can distract a lot or give a wrong impression. It's pretty clear if you think about the viewpoints and from which one you should see more/less of something that's partly hidden behind another object. It's not always easy to spot when viewing the whole image but it's clear when you zoom in.

Stereo Maker does a decent job at getting it right with "Auto alignment" but it's not always perfect, so it seems to make sense to check afterwards.

EDIT to add: It‘s always possible of course that I‘m wrong on some of those images/points. I‘m far from an expert on the matter. It‘s great to see however that a number of people seem to have become more interested in trying it here! Great work everyone and thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple.joy wrote:

Stereo Maker does a decent job at getting it right with "Auto alignment" but it's not always perfect, so it seems to make sense to check afterwards.

Yes, sometimes it crops too much an my images will make a good enough 3D without being perfect. Sometimes a part of the scene is given undue importance by the software and cropping it out deals with that.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="simple.joy"]Both taken with a (Tomioka) Yashica Auto-Yashinon 5 cm f/2:

Nice, except for the dark triangular area on the butterfly wing which seems to float in front of it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
Some of them seems to be parallel and some cross eyed. There is a swap button on my version of StereoPhoto maker (not pro). I think it depends on if you take the left or right image first. I'm not sure but I shoot both ways and just swap for cross eyed viewing if necessary.

Yes, definitely, nearly half of them

A lesser point: in the fifth image, of the sloping tree trunk, some small detail of the (dead?) vegetation just below it and far left seems to have moved between frames, slight breeze?

Subject movement and changes of light (passing clouds) between shots can make stereo pairs difficult.

Last edited by e6filmuser on Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:42 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A general warning about editing images before or after making stereo pairs: The replacement parts of each of the final images, unless very tiny, will usually assume a different level in the 3D depth when paired due to locally changing the angles at which they are viewed. I find that I can clone out sensor dust but nothing larger.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some from the Zenith 50mm f4 on the A7r3 at f8. The choice of f8, instead of my usual f11 was to my cost, the right image being less sharp than the left one. However, I have no others to offer from this lens and the 3D works for me.

The first one was considerably cropped by the software because I had rotated the camera. it is a little uncomfortable to view but may be of some value.

Broom

Bracket fungus on rotting log

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e6filmuser wrote:
simple.joy wrote:

Nice, except for the dark triangular area on the butterfly wing which seems to float in front of it.

Thanks! It's interesting... because that's a real shadow, no editing etc. but I agree that it's slightly distracting. Unfortunately it was windy, so I haven't been able to get many images which would work as pairs due to changes in the position/background.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple.joy wrote:
e6filmuser wrote:
simple.joy wrote:

Thanks! It's interesting... because that's a real shadow, no editing etc. but I agree that it's slightly distracting. Unfortunately it was windy, so I haven't been able to get many images which would work as pairs due to changes in the position/background.

I tried to make it a shadow but somehow couldn't.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I stopped being intransigent and went ahead and manually flipped each of my images listed as reversed by others here and updated the images. Since they are hotlinked from flickr, they should all update in the original posts as well (you may have to refresh to see them). Not sure how they got reversed in the first place, but I did run everything as a batch, so perhaps I messed up a setting somewhere?

An interesting observation - comparing both the before and after images, I somehow get just as strong a 3d effect in the correct direction with either orientation! Perhaps my brain is broken?!?! It wouldn't be the first piece of evidence I've had to that effect.

As to simple.joy's question, yes it was a rather windy day, so there may be some misalignments on objects that were swaying.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianSVP wrote:
OK, so I stopped being intransigent and went ahead and manually flipped each of my images listed as reversed by others here and updated the images. Since they are hotlinked from flickr, they should all update in the original posts as well (you may have to refresh to see them). Not sure how they got reversed in the first place, but I did run everything as a batch, so perhaps I messed up a setting somewhere?

Refreshing this page still leaves them a mix of crosseye and conventional although fewer seems to be crosseye now. Could you have flipped the wrong ones? The third and last look right to me.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, this is beyond bizarre. I literally went through every single one of these image pairs and verified that yes, they were taken in the correct left/right order.

I know StereoPhoto Maker Pro does some behind-the-scenes magic in aligning the images in auto mode, so perhaps it's making a wrong guess as to which image goes on what side rather than simply loading them left/right by order of file name like I assumed?

e6filmuser wrote:
BrianSVP wrote:

Refreshing this page still leaves them a mix of crosseye and conventional although fewer seems to be crosseye now. Could you have flipped the wrong ones? The third and last look right to me.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianSVP wrote:
OK, this is beyond bizarre. I literally went through every single one of these image pairs and verified that yes, they were taken in the correct left/right order.

I know StereoPhoto Maker Pro does some behind-the-scenes magic in aligning the images in auto mode, so perhaps it's making a wrong guess as to which image goes on what side rather than simply loading them left/right by order of file name like I assumed?

e6filmuser wrote:
BrianSVP wrote:

I use SPM for every pair and have been doing so for many years with no such rogue behaviour. Its decisions seems to be only about alignment and L/R is the user's decision as the software is equally able to form crosseye pairs or what I call conventional. It can also do anaglyphs and any of the above can be in colour or monochrome. There is no scope for it to do any swapping.

I did, a few years ago, have a problem with some images which had similar amounts of the subject and its surroundings in reasonable focus in front and behind. I had uploaded it before the error was pointed out to me.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianSVP wrote:

e6filmuser wrote:
BrianSVP wrote:

I looked at a few and they are updated on Flickr but not here. Maybe a case of old web browser cache.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I think I got it sorted out. Here are a few more. They all look right to me, but let me know if they look reversed to you, since I apparently, I can't be trusted.
All the ones on Flickr should be right now as well.

P10606213d

And a little pizza just for fun:

[url=https://www.flickr.com/gp/bgohacki/6kE2f71jsZ]

blotafton wrote:
BrianSVP wrote:

e6filmuser wrote:
BrianSVP wrote:

I looked at a few and they are updated on Flickr but not here. Maybe a case of old web browser cache.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianSVP wrote:
OK, I think I got it sorted out. Here are a few more. They all look right to me, but let me know if they look reversed to you, since I apparently, I can't be trusted.

Unfortunately 2 & 5 of these are wrong, as are the original errors.

Why not upload here?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because the quality of image files hosted here is crap with horrible downsizing and compression, which is why photos hosted here look so much worse than those linked from off-site. BTW, on most browsers, all you have to do is right click an image and click "reload" image to get the new version.

Apparently SteroPhoto Maker Pro is kinda crap, too, since through these images, I've verified a bug in the way it loads left, right pairs. It seems pulls them in randomly, not necessarily respecting file order or creation date within a pair. I was able to verify this through the filenames generated in the combined saved - it uses the name of the image that was initially loaded in the left position, and it turns out it randomly loads the second image rather than the first. I've confirmed this behavior in both batch mode and single file mode. This is apparently what occurred in the 2nd picture in the last series, as the filename ending in "18" indicates the second one in the pair, when the one ending in "17" should have been the one initially loaded there. #5 is actually 100% correct, as I triple checked it by pixel matching in Photoshop,

Anyway, it seems to me that for simple left-right pairs like this, a simple Photoshop action would be perfectly capable of doing the same thing, without all the buggs or the added cruft needed for anaglyph/interpolated 3D, etc. I'll whip one up and post it here when done.

e6filmuser wrote:
BrianSVP wrote:

Unfortunately 2 & 5 of these are wrong, as are the original errors.

Why not upload here?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianSVP wrote:

Apparently SteroPhoto Maker Pro is kinda crap, too, since through these images, I've verified a bug in the way it loads left, right pairs. It seems pulls them in randomly, not necessarily respecting file order or creation date within a pair. I was able to verify this through the filenames generated in the combined saved - it uses the name of the image that was initially loaded in the left position, and it turns out it randomly loads the second image rather than the first. I've confirmed this behavior in both batch mode and single file mode. This is apparently what occurred in the 2nd picture in the last series, as the filename ending in "18" indicates the second one in the pair, when the one ending in "17" should have been the one initially loaded there. #5 is actually 100% correct, as I triple checked it by pixel matching in Photoshop,

I know nothing of batch loading. I don't have that many per shoot. I simply load my right image then my left one, fit to screen (if I have loaded incorrectly I then switch L/R) and then auto align, name and save. The save path and format have to be selected for the first pair of a session. It couldn't be simpler.

Just to clarify: I resize my images in PS. I don't leave it to websites.