Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zeiss Ikon Icarex 35S TM M42 mount camera
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Zeiss Ikon Icarex 35S TM M42 mount camera Reply with quote

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful!
How does the camera work, have you tested it?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Beautiful!
How does the camera work, have you tested it?

Looks pretty "techy" camera aperture values in viewfinder like on Nikon.
Nice camera from every aspects. Can't wait to try with film.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a more or less similar one except with interchangeable finder...Icarex 35CS for M42 threaded mount lenses

Last edited by amoebahydra on Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would you like it ? Did you try it ?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is the viewfinder?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
How is the viewfinder?

Dark compare with Fujica which is one of the best. I think same than Praktica.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the finder is a bit dim but I like the Ultron which has the Voigtlander taste.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila, I had the 35S TM (Thread Mount) for a little over a year. The one thing that really stood out, was that it was so mechanically robust and smooth. Quality workmanship.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
Attila, I had the 35S TM (Thread Mount) for a little over a year. The one thing that really stood out, was that it was so mechanically robust and smooth. Quality workmanship.

Thanks! I have same impression German made Wink

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gear train is notorious for failure in the whole Icarex series - up to the VSL-1. Handle with care. The gears are made of sheet instead of brass for cost reasons.
Remove the top plate of a Spotmatic (or a Rollei 35) and of a Icarex will easily show which is the better camera.
Icarex was CHEAPER than Spotti when it was new! They failed on the market for a reason.

300g more as a Spotmatic for the same features not equals "German build quality"!

The only Icarex I have left is the SL-706 for historical reasons (the "last" zeiss Ikon camera...)

Last edited by taunusreiter on Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:09 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taunusreiter wrote:
The train gear is notorious for failure in the whole Icarex series - up to the VSL-1. Handle with care. The gears are made of sheet instead of brass for cost reasons.
Remove the top plate of a Spotmatic (or a Rollei 35) and of a Icarex will easily show which is the better camera.
Icarex was CHEAPER than Spotti when it was new! They failed on the market for a reason.

300g more as a Spotmatic for the same features not equals "German build quality"!

The only Icarex I have left is the SL-706 for historical reasons (the "last" zeiss Ikon camera...)

GREAT post! My impressions were favorable with the camera "in hand". It's good to know the idiosyncrasies relating to build quality.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First roll taken with this camera is here.
http://forum.mflenses.com/zeiss-ikon-icarex-35s-tm-cz-tessar-50mm-f2-8-sensia-100-t22255.html

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This cam was my first cam when i started with photography.

Together with the shown Tessar. Some lenses i did added, depending from the money i did have as a student.

30 Years or more later, i did buy this (other) cam with a small set of some of my old M42 Zeiss Lenses again.
Not the Icarex again, but the lenses Skoparex and Ultron together with the Zeiss Ikon 706, Taunusreiter was talking about, reminds me on the old starting days.

Skoparex 3.4/35mm
Flektogon 4/25mm
Voigtländer Color Dynarex 4/135mm
Zeiss Ultron 1.8/50mm

Zeiss Ikon 706, the last one.

The Icarex was a great Cam. Build like a tank and lovely. The Zeiss Ikon 706 was stupid in relation to that old Icarex.

Cheers
Hinnerker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked I would like to see samples with those lenses!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Shocked I would like to see samples with those lenses!

I was interested in the lenses.

First some samples of the Skoparex..

The next days i will have a look in my archiv for images taken with the Ultron, Flektogon and the Dynarex

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! Nice samples, lovely lens indeed.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject: i want to buy this cam very strongly,i am chinese. Reply with quote

hinnerker wrote:

Together with the shown Tessar. Some lenses i did added, depending from the money i did have as a student.

30 Years or more later, i did buy this (other) cam with a small set of some of my old M42 Zeiss Lenses again.
Not the Icarex again, but the lenses Skoparex and Ultron together with the Zeiss Ikon 706, Taunusreiter was talking about, reminds me on the old starting days.

Skoparex 3.4/35mm
Flektogon 4/25mm
Zeiss Ultron 1.8/50mm

The Icarex was a great Cam. Build like a tank and lovely. The Zeiss Ikon 706 was stupid in relation to that old Icarex.

Cheers
Hinnerker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: I am very interested in the lenses. Reply with quote

hinnerker wrote:

Skoparex 3.4/35mm
Flektogon 4/25mm
Zeiss Ultron 1.8/50mm

Cheers
Hinnerker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Skoparex photos are amazing.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its a beautiful camera. if anyone is interested, i am selling a very nice copy of this camera, with both a waist level finder and metered prism. its not easy to get all three pieces...
tony