Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zeiss 180/2.8 pop
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great result Gary.

I'm with you on aperture setting (F8ish), but I tend to use manual exposure on birds. I take a few readings of the palm of my hand at different points and that gets me very close if not exact.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Nice job, Gary. It's always a great accomplishment to capture a BIF with a manual focus lens. I was getting better at it with my old camera, but it was still a percentage shot. I've found it much easier with the NEX and focus peaking. Getting it perfect is still a percentage shot, but the percentages are much higher. I focus until I see the subject turn red, then click.

Thanks.
Focus peaking involves looking at the LCD screen doesn't it? (at least, it does on my 7D) I can't imagine trying to do that for BIF shots with my 7D, the weight involved would be difficult to hold away from my body. The NEX being much smaller must be easier. Plus if I use focus peaking, pressing the shutter will turn the screen black so it'd be no use to me when following a flight path. I'm assuming that doesn't happen on a NEX because it's mirrorless.
And if I did try focus peaking, the delay between seeing the red indicators and pressing the shutter would be enormous in BIF terms. I need to see the bird at all times so I can adjust the focus as needed. Smile

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Great result Gary.

I'm with you on aperture setting (F8ish), but I tend to use manual exposure on birds. I take a few readings of the palm of my hand at different points and that gets me very close if not exact.

I have tried manual exposure but the light is rarely constant. The birds fly in and out of shaded areas, plus a clear blue sky in the Highlands is as rare a s rocking-horse poo. Laughing I'm also constantly changing the angle to the sun, the birds fly in all and any directions so the light changes all the time as I follow them. I use partial metering mostly because it seems to give the best results as long as I keep the bird in the middle of the frame (which is not as it easy as it sounds).
I doubt I'll ever have a foolproof system for BIF, there are too many variables to take into account.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frenched wrote:
It's shots like this that makes me want to sell all my gear and take up stamp collecting. Smile

But seriously, it's a stunning image and I appreciate your tips. The learning never stops.

Thank you.
I'm very lucky to have a falconry display in the local castle for six months of the year, it's easy for me to get there and spend hours practicing. That's the key to this kind of shooting, practice, practice, practice (oh and tons of luck). It does seem impossible at first but if you can turn your torso through 90 degrees while standing firmly still, it's not that hard really.
I bought a gimbal head recently to help me with this but, for now, I'm still able to physically hold a big lens and swing it around for half an hour. That will change in time and the gimbal will come more into play, then I'll have to learn a new approach to shooting BIF.
Smile

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
woodrim wrote:
Nice job, Gary. It's always a great accomplishment to capture a BIF with a manual focus lens. I was getting better at it with my old camera, but it was still a percentage shot. I've found it much easier with the NEX and focus peaking. Getting it perfect is still a percentage shot, but the percentages are much higher. I focus until I see the subject turn red, then click.

Thanks.
Focus peaking involves looking at the LCD screen doesn't it? (at least, it does on my 7D) I can't imagine trying to do that for BIF shots with my 7D, the weight involved would be difficult to hold away from my body. The NEX being much smaller must be easier. Plus if I use focus peaking, pressing the shutter will turn the screen black so it'd be no use to me when following a flight path. I'm assuming that doesn't happen on a NEX because it's mirrorless.
And if I did try focus peaking, the delay between seeing the red indicators and pressing the shutter would be enormous in BIF terms. I need to see the bird at all times so I can adjust the focus as needed. Smile

It would not have been possible with the last camera I had with LCD, but I have detected no lag between the LCD image and what is captured by the shutter. And yes, the NEX is smaller, which I really don't like and that made it nearly impossible for me to hold it out (and farther because of my poor close vision) and get a decent picture due to shake. I had to create my own handle and also use a hood with diopter to view the LCD clearly and unimpeded by outside bright light. Additionally, the hood provided a much needed third point (my head) for bracing the camera from shake. The "red" (my selected color) from peaking appears when the target gets into the depth of field, but does not guarantee perfect focus, and that's why it's still a percentage shot, but with improved percentages.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see how that would work, nice job!

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic picture! And yes it pops.Smile

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Utterly INSANE! Great shot.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive picture! Especially considering this lens is seriously heavy. I had the MC version of this lens for some year and I really enjoyed the pictures I got from it, but in the end, it's not a carry around lens and it just didn't get used enough for this reason, so I sold it.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diddy wrote:
Impressive picture! Especially considering this lens is seriously heavy. I had the MC version of this lens for some year and I really enjoyed the pictures I got from it, but in the end, it's not a carry around lens and it just didn't get used enough for this reason, so I sold it.

I have to agree, it's not suited as a carry around lens. If I want to take it on a photowalk I have to take it in my camera backpack, it's too unwieldy to hang around your neck or hang at your hip. (I have done it, but it's no fun).

And thanks. Smile

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For reasons of size and weight, I have two 200mm lenses - Hexanon 3.5/200 and Topcor 5.6/200. The Hexanon is big and heavy, so on the NEX it's really a tripod lens, but the Topcor is small and light and I find it far easier to handhold. The Topcor isn't very common, but fairly cheap considering how great it is.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At some point in time I had a similar setup: The CZJ 180 and then a smaller 200mm f3.5 one (as carry around lens). I sold both and got the Tamron 180 instead. This one is just a tiny bit bigger than the 200mm lens I had (without the hood on) and quite a good performer. Plus you get the convenience of the adaptall-2 mount as well.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive pictures you have there. I checked your pictures on Flickr! Macros are very good too. Shocked

Now I have to try Oly PL1... but don`t have falcon`s for models... Mad

Continue with your good work! Like to see more pictures posted here! Razz

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diddy wrote:
At some point in time I had a similar setup: The CZJ 180 and then a smaller 200mm f3.5 one (as carry around lens). I sold both and got the Tamron 180 instead. This one is just a tiny bit bigger than the 200mm lens I had (without the hood on) and quite a good performer. Plus you get the convenience of the adaptall-2 mount as well.

The Tamron 180 is on my (ever expanding) wish list Wink

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAART wrote:
Impressive pictures you have there. I checked your pictures on Flickr! Macros are very good too. Shocked

Now I have to try Oly PL1... but don`t have falcon`s for models... Mad

Continue with your good work! Like to see more pictures posted here! Razz

Thank you very much. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I missed what camera you took these with. I dont think I would use my nex as I tend to use the Nikon DSLR for action shots, football anyway.

So what camera and how?

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best guess is Canon 7D...

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon 7D is my weapon of choice, the fast frame rate and 25 raw buffer is indispensable for shooting action. I rarely fire more than 4 or 5 in a burst but occasionally I do go a bit mad. Twisted Evil
The hard part it is pulling in the focus, firing like a machine-gunner, following the flight path, keeping the bird in frame and maintaining a smooth body swing. All to capture a furry exocet doing approx 90mph.
Piece of piss really.

Laughing

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAART wrote:

The winner! (admit it, you just looked at my siggy Smile )

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
RAART wrote:

The winner! (admit it, you just looked at my siggy Smile )

Laughing Not just, but also this...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gazsus/7549978660/

maybe better this way...

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, bit of a give away eh? Laughing

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I should point out....the pop-up flash is NOT used for lighting the subject, it's only used to trigger the Yongnuo flash wirelessly. Wink
(before anyone asks why I have both in operation)

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink

I have a very similar handle. Which ball head did you use there Question

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
I think I should point out....the pop-up flash is NOT used for lighting the subject, it's only used to trigger the Yongnuo flash wirelessly. Wink
(before anyone asks why I have both in operation)

I do the same... it is set just on fill in function but triggers my other Olympus flash 36R.