Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

ZA Distagon 24/2 coming...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:29 am    Post subject: ZA Distagon 24/2 coming... Reply with quote

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1002/10022103sony2010.asp#press

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice, I read that minolta had good 24mm in the past

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, Minolta developed the 24/2.8 for Leica (I am not sure which version) and the same design was used for Minolta 24/2.8.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my_photography wrote:
If I remember correctly, Minolta developed the 24/2.8 for Leica (I am not sure which version) and the same design was used for Minolta 24/2.8

I hope the "Zeiss" will be better than this "Leica" Laughing
http://forum.mflenses.com/leica-elmarit-24-vs-tamron-t4955,highlight,leica+elmarit+++tamron.html

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Leica R 24mm originated from Minolta MD Rokkor-X design. Earlier version made by Minolta and later version made by Leica from Minolta design.

It was considered as one of the best 24mm (as commanded by many on the web) by many and that was why Leica asked Minolta to produce their 24mm.

Not sure if the later 24mm AF was the same design with the Rokkor 24mm of not.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the advantage of this product? I think it's only marketing. There's no real advantage having super-tiny camera body + standard sized heavy lens. The big lens on the right seems to be 3x heavy than the camera. That must be pretty unbalanced combo...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope for Sony users that it will not look like the infamous Minolta/LeicaR 24mm Elmarit lens, which is considered the worst lens in the whole Leica catalogue...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the AF era, Minolta only produced three F2 lenses, namely 28/2, 32/2 and 100/2. All these F2 lenses are highly regarded my Minoltian. Some even suggested they should be put in a different category. Until today, these F2 lenses still fetch good money.

Perhaps this is one of the reason Sony is coming out with F2 for this new 24mm Zeiss instead of a 1.8 or a 1.4. Other reasons might be F2 will be lighter and smaller and the price will be less expensive (hopefully).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a little surprised as I thought Zeiss's design has only 25/2.8...but I know nothing... Does the potential minolta lineage makes it less "Zeiss" (e.g. 3D) in other ZA lens?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aleksanderpolo wrote:
I was a little surprised as I thought Zeiss's design has only 25/2.8...but I know nothing... Does the potential minolta lineage makes it less "Zeiss" (e.g. 3D) in other ZA lens?

I have to wonder as well. As was shown to me by No-X, the similarity between the Minolta 85/1.4 and Planar ZA in optical formula. It is a marriage between Minolta and Zeiss heritage, rather than the classic 6/5 in a new mount.

For me, coming to the brand partly because I appreciated the Zeiss look, I was a bit let down. Not that the ZAs aren't good - they are, but they aren't what I was expecting. Further, I've never been happy with the feel of manually focusing an AF lens and the 85ZA was no exception, though SSM implementations are better in this regard, of which it seems the 24 will be one.

SR on FF with the great viewfinder keeps me happy with the A900, but I'm more in my element converting over to Contax glass and than I am with ZA primes. End result - not really excited about this 24.

K.