Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yashinons - compare optical performance of versions?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Yashinons - compare optical performance of versions? Reply with quote

as far as I know there are

- in M42 mount:
Auto DX - single coated M/A switch
DS - less good finishing than DX, single coated no M/A switch
DS-M - multi coated, often reported to be without, but also does come with A/M switch

- in C/Y mount:
DSB - single coated
ML - multicoated

usually the ML are referred as the best of them.
I remember somebody liking his Auto DX better.

thus my question:
- how do they different Yashinon versions compare?
or asking differently: Is the ML really that much better?

I'd be very grateful for opinions of users which have experience with the various versions, preferably of the same lens ( e.g. 1.7/50 ) specially comparing optical performance of Auto DX, DS-M and ML

thank you for any input,
Andreas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Yashinons - compare optical performance of versions? Reply with quote

ML series are really that much better. I tried three 50mm in DS, DSB, and ML designations. ML is great, the other two were rather mediocre in sharpness, handling of flare, and contrast. I also have a 2.8/28mm ML, and it is great; I would not consider a single-coated wide-angle.

I've heard that older 135mm Yashicas were not bad, but I know it's kind of hard to make a really bad 135mm... and I guess the ML version is better yet.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/yashica/

Yashica 135 DS-M very, very good one, all ML versions are great lenses except 135mm ML marked with C

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andreas.

Sure you know the site by Rino Giardiello:

http://www.fhtino.it/fotografia/yashica/comments.html

Not in english (Italian language) but it's easy to understand (or to translate).

Not images, only commentary.

Rino.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi kuuan, I have compared 11 diff. oldie 50mm and uploaded in to my flickr.
All the pics were taken with Panasonic G1, tripod and using live view, it would be nice for you to build your own opinion.
Regards

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Yashica 135 DS-M very, very good one, all ML versions are great lenses except 135mm ML marked with C

Yes Dear, ML lens with "c" sign are all made by Cosina.

ML 28/2.8c (only sold in japan?)
ML 50/1.9c
ML 135/2.8c
ML 200/4c ........ Cosina made?
ML 300/5.6c ..... Cosina made?

It is small "c" not large "C".

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one has mentioned the older Auto Yashicor lenses. I have a 135mm F2.8 that's nice, sharp & contrasty...I also have the DX 50mm F1.7 that I'd rate fairly high as well

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two ML lenses I had (2.8/28 and 1.7/50) were very good, but not spectacular, I mean, not on Zeiss or Leica level, not even on Nikkor level.

I still have a very old one, a "Yashica Auto Yashinon 2.0/50" - M42, no DX, no DS, no nothing.
It's very small and still relatively heavy.
This is a very interesting glass. Not excellent, but really interesting. And I have not found anything about it.

Last edited by LucisPictor on Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi LucisPictor, glad to see that you have the same lense. So far I know , this lense belongs to body "Yashica J5", like you mentioned above, small but heavy and very well build.
Regards
[/url]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

koji wrote:
Attila wrote:

Yes Dear, ML lens with "c" sign are all made by Cosina.

The official version is that the "c" stands for "Compact Design". Indeed, the ML 300mm/5.6 "c" is more compact (and, as I heard, of a better quality) than a non-"c" one. Same is said to be true of the 200mm. I am yet to spot one at a reasonable price Smile

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

convert1 wrote:
Hi LucisPictor, glad to see that you have the same lense. So far I know , this lense belongs to body "Yashica J5", like you mentioned above, small but heavy and very well build.

Thanks! Nice to see somebody else having this lens.
I like it a lot, it has a very pleasant personality.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought all Yashica lenses were made by Tamioka. Is that not true?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

I still have a very old one, a "Yashica Auto Yashinon 2.0/50" - M42, no DX, no DS, no nothing.

looks lovely!
the 2/55 Auto Takumar looks quite similar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have compared 2 of the DS-M lenses to ML and found near identical performance.
Tested so far 1.7/50, 2.8/24 .

DX is the best of the single coated.
I really like the DX 50mm for B+W. Low contrast but sharp gives great shadow detail.
If you can find one there is a 2/50 DX in C/Y bayont mount. An excellent B+W lens.
I think only available to the Japan market originally.
Renders very similar to the Yashinon 1.7/45 on the Electro G series cameras.
Great for color film also but like the electros, shines for B+W Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yashinon DS-M was the first MC Version for Yashica Lenses as far as i know.
Did have the following range of DS-M lenses from 24mm to 200mm:

Yashica DS-M 2.8/24mm, an excellent performer..

Test - samples in High Res mostly wide open, max f/4, Canon EOS 5D FF.. click on the images in my gallery and twice to see them in full resolution. Use the return button of your browser to go back to the album entries.

http://dunkelnetz.de/?level=album&id=39

Here are samples from the Yashica DS-M 2.8/35mm
The wall was taken in terms of resolution and vignetting
edge to edge on FF,

http://dunkelnetz.de/?level=album&id=33

Here is a 100% crop from a nearfield sample taken with
the Yashica DS-M 1.4/50mm at f/8

This shows my whole set..

Yashica DS-M 2.8/24mm, (old Yashikkor 2.8/35mm on cam, not DSM,very bad lens), Yashinon DS-M 2.8/50mm (with rect. Hood), Yashinon DS-M 1.7/50mm on cam II, Yashinon DS-M 2.8/135mm, Yashinon DS-M 4/200mm, Yashinon DS-M 1.4/50mm.

The Yashica DS-M lenses are excellent. Did have a lot lenses from all major brands. The color rendering is phantastic, sharpness near perfect.

If you can find the rare 24mm, the 35mm, the 1.4/50mm and the 4/200, dont hesitate.

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yashica 50/2 ML is a sleeper. It's actually very sharp and at least as good as the 50/1.7 ML I have. I also have the YUS 28/2.8 - not sure what the real designation is, but it's "pretty decent".

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
The Yashica 50/2 ML is a sleeper. It's actually very sharp and at least as good as the 50/1.7 ML I have.

I have YML 50/2, 50/1.9 and 50/1.9c. The first two lenses are optically indistinguishable; the 'c' version is something completely different. Made of cheap plastic, it's extremely lightweight. It feels extremely cheap though; aperture control is erratic and lacks smooth precision of the older Yashicas. Optically, it is probably coated differently, as it flares more easily. It's very very different of what one would expect of YML glass; I tend to believe the rumors which say the 'c' lenses were indeed made by Cosina as there is no single part in this lens that is similar to the other two fifties. Even the filter ring is 49mm and not 52mm like in other Yashicas. Good thing I paid $9.99 for mine Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey andreas

here is an old forum thread where orio compares favorably ML lenses to zeiss distagons. it was based on luckily coming across this thread that i just bought a pretty cheap ML 28mm 2.8 that was spoken of. here is the thread, i think it will be helpful:

http://forum.mflenses.com/bigmangos-yashica-ml-2-8-35-t1302,highlight,yashica.html