Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yashica FX-2 will it work without a battery?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Yashica FX-2 will it work without a battery? Reply with quote

Hi All
I have picked up this camera cheap...it will need new seals etc.The battery is the old mercury version...will it work without the battery?...I know nothing of this camera and from what I have briefly read on the net you can use either a Duracell 675 or a Energizer 375.
It looks good and it is tempting me to try it with a roll of film... Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it sound ok?

I mean at 1/1000 it should say "snap".
And at 1/5 it should say "crick-crak" ..
or something like that. Smile Smile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a difference between the 2 ,1/1000 faster click than 1/5 whirrr click! Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post pics, I have an FX-3, with a roll of film sitting in it.....almost six months now. Cannot wait to finish the rest of the frames and develop it. Going to buy more film today.

I love the look of film. Just wish it was cheaper to develop that is all.

I don't think you need a battery but I am not sure.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The yashica FX-2 has a mechanical shutter, the battery is only feeding the lightmeter. You can find a manual on the site of Mike Butkus: http://www.cameramanuals.org/yashica_pdf/yashica_fx-2-1.pdf.
I don't know if the meter is very sensible for different voltage, but you can always try a hearing aid battery (1.4 V), that is very nearby the 1.35 V of the mercury battery. You need some tin foil to keep the smaller battery in place.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link Minolfan,I have plenty of film for a test run.....Using the sunny 16 rule Very Happy
I agree Newton film is expensive to get developed. Sad

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo, as Minolfan mentioned, you can use a hearing aid battery for your FX-2, unless you folks in OZ can still get the PX625 mercury battery. The hearing aid battery to use is the 675. I buy them in cards of 30 for $10 at Costco. That's the cheapest I've found. Typically you'll find them in variety stores for $5 or $6 for a card of five or six. Still a good deal compared to a single Wein for $5 or $6 -- and the Wein won't last any longer than a 675.

Only drawback to the 675 batteries -- and the Weins as far as I know -- is they do not handle the cold very well at all. So if you're gonna be venturing out with your Yashica and be out in the weather long enough where the camera will get cold, you might want to also bring along a hand-held light meter -- or another camera with a different type of battery that is more cold resistant. Hey, that reminds me, it's getting on to be close to wintertime down there, isn't it?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep Winter is on the way...but Autumn is hanging in with some really nice warm weather.The light is superb and the colors beautiful.(I am trying to capture some Autumn images and will post up some results soon)
I will try the local chemist for the batteries.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago I purchased some hearing aid batteries with brass rings to make them fit to replace mercury batteries. Works great and I use the rings again and again with cheap new zinc batteries.
Have a look: http://www.paulbg.com/Nikon_F_meter_batteries.htm
I just refound the info in my old e-mail.
But Mo, are you not in fact experienced in using battery replacements for your Ricoh Singlex? Same stuff!?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the battery link - that looks like a good product indeed

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yashica FX-2 will it work without a battery?

Yes!
I had that camera, very sturdy reliable one, I sold it to Jes if I remember correctly.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that link, Minolfan. I wasn't aware of these adapters, and I thought I'd seen all there was to offer regarding the 625 replacements.

The link gave me an idea. I have a metal lathe, and I could make these easy enough. Given the number of cameras and other pieces that I own that takes the 625, I'm thinking I should just turn out a few on my lathe, save myself some money.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, I reminded me to have purchased them years ago. So I did some search and my e-mail from 2007 my mails with Paul came up and the link was still to be found. I even was not yet joined to this forum that days.
I thought nearly everyone here would know about this simple help!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But Mo, are you not in fact experienced in using battery replacements for your Ricoh Singlex? Same stuff!?

I sent the singlex for a complete service and the guy adjusted it so it can accept normal batteries.The service costs a lot and I am unsure if I will keep this camera.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For testing the camera zinc batteries are perfect. I have none of my Ricoh's etc. permanently ready for use with fresh battery; I pick them one by one for some period to keep them going and myself trained with them. So I have no reason to have expensive long lasting batteries for them and have always some hearing aid batteries around.
I don't want to pay a lot for a battery conversion of a camera I purchased for cheap, most for the lens Very Happy.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan to take the Yashica out today and run some film through it.The weather is superb...I hope my skills are to match... Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just bought some energizer 675s a 4 pk for $7au.I have put them in and there is some movement of the needle but down wards not between the - +.I have to check the instructions and see how to do it... Laughing
I gather you have to let the zinc air battery sit for a bit before it works?I have got some response from the needle so all appears to work well.

Last edited by mo on Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really good looking camera.

Next stop T* .. Cool

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
That's really good looking camera.

Next stop T* .. Cool

Maybe once I win lotto...if I take a ticket.. Laughing