Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yashica DSB or ML 28 f2.8 which one is better?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 4:51 am    Post subject: Yashica DSB or ML 28 f2.8 which one is better? Reply with quote

Hi,
am searching for a good and reasonable priced 28mm lens for my aps-c camera.
Do own a yashica ds 50mm f1.9 which has good color rendering and is very sharp.
What i need is something razor sharp on the center and good on the edges of aps-c at f8.

So im now asking which yashika lens is gpod at 28mm.
Alternati e might be the pentax m 28mm.

Zuiko and revuenon i did look at test photos good but not what i want.Need few CAs in purple, red and green.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ML series is a more expensive line than the DSB series, so the ML should out perform the DSB.
There is also the older YUS 28/2.8
My sharpest 28's for APSC are:
SMC K 28/2 (Expensive) SMC K 28/3.5 (much less expensive than the f2 but still more expensive than most), the Super Multi Coated Takumar 28/3.5 (is not quite as sharp as the K, but still very good).
Rokkor MC 28/2.5 (Has a radioactive element that will turn amber, can be cured with UV light)
Topcor RE 28/2.8 (Also somewhat expensive)
X-Fujinon 28/1.9 (also expensive) there is also a slower sibling 28/3.5 or 2.8 (don't remember what the f-stop is at the moment).

Not 28mm:
Canon FD SSC 24/2.8 (Was awesome on my NEX-7)
Olympus PenF 38/1.8
Leica M 28/2.8 v2 (my favourite lens on my NEX-7)
Olympus OM MC: 21/3.5 & 50/1.4 (Both were used very often on my NEX-7, my go-to lenses for night shooting)

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
It appears to me that there is no real difference regarding selling prices at the moment between dsb and ml.

Yus i wont find. The shipment to germany is nearly as much as the lense is worth.

Does somebody know on which cameras the dsb or ml lenses have been used?

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluedxca93 wrote:
Thanks.
It appears to me that there is no real difference regarding selling prices at the moment between dsb and ml.

Yus i wont find. The shipment to germany is nearly as much as the lense is worth.

Does somebody know on which cameras the dsb or ml lenses have been used?

The ML 50mm ones are usually more expensive than the DSB, which are supposedly inferior (have not tried them, though). I once read (legendary ideas abound on this field, so use the traditional pinch of salt) that DSM and ML were indeed the same lens, just in different cameras/times. I have the 50mm DSM and it is very good indeed. But, in any case, common knowledge (untested by me) is that DSB is the inferior one of the three variations.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a DSB 28mm. It was average on my Sony a7 so I sold it. Sharpness wasn't great in the edges.

I have some samples if you want to see.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@blotafton that would be great.To see how your dsb 28 f2.8 performed.

I did see some example pictures of the ml 28 lenses in the internet. This site and others. Some were very good on crop others not very bad but not that great either.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both the DSB 2.8/28mm and one of the ML 2.8/28mm variants. These two lenses are optically different since they clearly have different reflections on their glass surfaces (not only in color, but also in shape). On Fri I may compare them with a few landscape shots.

S

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be of help:

Quote:
4.1. What's the difference between Yashica DSB and Yashica ML lenses?

Yashica DSB lenses are single coated, ML lenses are multi coated (ML
stands for Multi Layer). As usual, a marketing department messed
things thoroughly up by introducing another designator, MC for Multi
Coated, for later multi coated lenses. Contrary to the quality jump
from DSB to ML, there is no distinguishable quality difference between
ML and MC lenses. For quite some time, Yashica offered both DSB and ML
lenses; later on, DSB lenses were sold in package deals with bodies
(like the FX-D Quartz SE and the FX-7).

4.2. How about YUS lenses?

YUS stands for Yashica US. This "brand" is now gone, and from
comparisons it seems that they were the same as the DSB lenses sold
elsewhere.

Source: https://exonaught.blogspot.com/2010/09/cees-de-groots-yashicafaq.html

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the ML and DSB versions I can see the obvious cosmetic differences, the DSB has distinctive orange and yellow markings as opposed to the ML with traditional white. ( I like the DSB ) There are differences in the relections of LED light from the coatings, most obvious on the front element, but the DSB has has blue / purple reflections from the inner elements where the ML has more orange / yellow colours - maybe the front element coating is making that difference? Interestingly, the reflections are all the same size and position in each lens, which I think would indicate the lens construction is the same, it certainly looks the same from both ends.

I've used both lenses, but I haven't done a comparison ( pixel peeping isn't my thing ) but they are both very good lenses, maybe not the 'very best' , but perfectly good and useable , I would have noticed if either was a bad lens.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yashica DSB 28mm f2.8

Bokeh wide open

#3 Sharpness and distortion wide open

#4 Sharpness and distortion at 5.6 or 8

#6 Flare

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great examples thanks. Helps a lot. Mayne someone has the ml and can take some pictures too for comparision.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
I have both the DSB 2.8/28mm and one of the ML 2.8/28mm variants. These two lenses are optically different since they clearly have different reflections on their glass surfaces (not only in color, but also in shape). On Fri I may compare them with a few landscape shots.

Lloydy wrote:
Looking at the ML and DSB versions ... the reflections are all the same size and position in each lens, which I think would indicate the lens construction is the same, it certainly looks the same from both ends.

Interesting.

Could you publish an image of your ML 2.8/28mm? It might be the "eight lens" variant ...? Mine the 7L version ...

I have compared the DSB 2.8/28mm, the ML 2.8/28mm [7L] and the Zeiss CY Distagon 2.8/28mm wide open at infinity on 24MP FF, and the differences are surprisingly small. Sadly my copy of the DSB has a bit fungus, and its aperture is stuck open - that's why I can't compare the lenses at smaller apertures. Maybe I will try to clean the DSB over the weekend, but I'm not sure yet.

S

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluedxca93, as you mentioned the CA question, Yashica ML 28mm gives some, more than the narrower angle ML 35mm. Please have a look at #11 in the post dedicated to ML28. But as you may see the counterlight situation was very special, and post-processing lifted up the effect. Otherwise it is a very nice lens.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good. The #11 picture is not that bad. Cause i see too that in better light conditions tere are none. Thx fkr your link to the link to the post.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some corner crops and two images comparing the bokeh of the Yashica DSB 2.8/28mm vs the Yashica ML 2.8/28mm. Be aware that the DSB has quite abit of fungus, while the ML is clean. I tried to clean the DSB before comparing the two lenses, but its bayonet screws are partly corroded; two of the broke apart while trying to remove the bayonet ...

Anyway - those images should give at least a first impression of the two lenses; I'm pretty sure that two pristine, clean lenses would be nearly indistinguishable. Only exception is the color: the DSB has a slightly yellowish tint, visible when comparing the two lenses side by side.

Here's the bokeh:

S

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How good is my current copy of yashica ml 28?
One test shot slightly edited with dxo phto lab.:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The liked the ML lenses I've tried so far. Does anybody have the 135/2.8? I'm curious how it performs.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
The liked the ML lenses I've tried so far. Does anybody have the 135/2.8? I'm curious how it performs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0YDesQAzW8

I will prefer the Contax Sonnar.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0YDesQAzW8

I will prefer the Contax Sonnar.

I'll probably stick with my Mamiya SX 135/2.8 as a reasonably fast 135.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to some sources,
DSB has a different optical formula than ML one.
And there are at least 3 (as far as Yachica lenses enthusiast know) different optical ML formula's.

I have and DSB and ML and I regard both of them as individual pieces.

Spending less than 100 €/$/£ for both examples will give the right answer: which lens is 'the better lens' for you.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamiya SX 135/2.8 has a very good reputation. @caspert79 if you have that lens no real reason to get a 135 ml lens.Except you collect ml lenses.

I do have a yashinon dx 135 which is a but heavy build for m42 and its not fast but its one of the better m42 135mm lenses.

@alex_d
28 mm :
ml together with the dsb i would pay around ~110 Eur. Have only the 28ml variant at the moment. First or second of the four? ml designs i believe.
Would rather buy the 28dx to have three dx lenses. But dx lenses are rare except the 50 1.7 which you can ge around ~30 Eur.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluedxca93 wrote:
Mamiya SX 135/2.8 has a very good reputation. @caspert79 if you have that lens no real reason to get a 135 ml lens.Except you collect ml lenses.

True. I'd only want it if its truly exceptional. In fact I only have a few 135 mm lenses right now:

Mamiya SX 135/2.8: because it’s an excellent performer and can be found cheap.

Konica Hexanon 135/3.2: because of its close focusing ability and exceptional performance stopped down.

Jena MC Sonnar 135/3.5: great performer

Super Multi Coated Takumar 135/3.5, because of it’s exceptional build quality; optionally it's actually surprisingly good as well.

Pentax-M 135/3.5: because I found a perfect one for 10€. There's a lot to love about it (weight, looks, build quality, the way it handles). I still have to test it though. No reason to sell it though as it has no value.

I only add another one, if it's adding something that the others don't have.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caspert, does your SX have the lip on the outer aperture ring on the mount side? If so, what adapter do you use?

I have an SX lens and cannot reach infinity due to this.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pabeu wrote:
Caspert, does your SX have the lip on the outer aperture ring on the mount side? If so, what adapter do you use?

I have an SX lens and cannot reach infinity due to this.

You can screw out the outer pin on the back with a pliers. And you need an adapter with a flange to press down the aperture pin. K&F adapter works fine.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@bluedxca93

I would first start with a question;
what are you going to use a specific lens (aka dx vs dsb vs ml),
FF of a crop sensor ..

If is only about hobby/collecting then is no point of a discussion - you get them all.
It's probably the only way to learn them.

i.m.o. there are not many 'great' (according to the current standards) old 28mm lenses from slr era.
There are some old lenses with a great character (to some).
Being able to use a great lens character ('flaw') for a meaningful pictures ..
thats another level.