Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yashica DSB or ML 28 f2.8 which one is better?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex_d wrote:
@bluedxca93

I would first start with a question;
what are you going to use a specific lens (aka dx vs dsb vs ml),
FF of a crop sensor ..

If is only about hobby/collecting then is no point of a discussion - you get them all.
It's probably the only way to learn them.

i.m.o. there are not many 'great' (according to the current standards) old 28mm lenses from slr era.
There are some old lenses with a great character (to some).
Being able to use a great lens character ('flaw') for a meaningful pictures ..
thats another level.

I agree, not too many 'great' vintage 28's IMO. I find the SMC Pentax 28/3.5 an exception though. It doesn't have many flaws. I've had a few others that I consider good, such as the Nikkor ai-s 28/2.8, but the Pentax is better.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crop sensor currently. Need to clean my camera sensor soon b.t.w

I do see it as a hobby. For collecting them all i dont have the money.
The dx line seens well built however the 35 and28 mm versions seem overpriced and optically not excellent enough.
A good exemplar of the 24 ds-m is something i dream of buying but no money tu buy it atm.

Another example from 28ml

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok Im not sure what you wanted with this photo,
aperture quite open and focused to max 2.5-3.5m ?
if so - there is no lens 28mm that will provide ' better' image if you use it like this / this scenery / this framing.
not to mention lack of light (sun, low angle aka morning/evening.. dramma, contast and such)

in case of a hobby and vintage lenses, the very first thing to be aware:
- dont allow GAS to overpower you.
The Dark Side Is Very Strong Here !
However, GAS should learn you more about lenses.
Definately maybe.
But you will make less creative photo's and you will not really progress .. you gonna run arround 'testing' lenses.
yes, It's a hobby too.

So to wrap it up,
while making photo's with modern tech and not-so-modern lenses as a hobby I would suggest next;
- get 1 'best' quality lens you can pay (or alreay have)
- and get 1 'bad quality' lens.
Go and use them both ... till they fall apart.
Then you will understand probably what you need, suit you or like.
Forget the 'battle' between DX / DSB-M / ML / whatever .. - it's for the online gas warriors.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
The liked the ML lenses I've tried so far. Does anybody have the 135/2.8? I'm curious how it performs.

I have the ML 2.8/135mm C (thus the later compact version). It seems to be pretty much identical to the corresponding Tokina 2.8/135mm. Rendition is different from many other 2.8/135mm lenses - low contrast wide open, but quite a lot of detail. Probably related to the short lens barrel which requires stronger curvatures for the individual lenses => stronger Seidel aberrations.

S

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 28 ml does have some purple frjnging and possibly infinity problems. Except from that for mid range photos it ssems to be quirlte sharp...however the 50 1.7 dx is sharper...