Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

which wide angle landscape lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: which wide angle landscape lens? Reply with quote

Looking into a good m42 wide angle lens that wont brake the bank for landscapes. Anywhere in the 16-24 range but cant find too much info. Im pretty new to the MF world and was thinking about the czj flek 4/20. Any ideas? Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Flek 4/20 is the best possible choice for architecture.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use wide angle from 16 to 24 and 28mm for landscapes, except urban ones. Wide angle lenses on aps sensor or even on 35 mm film cannot resolve distance details of the scene. I use 35 mm or 85,90,100,135 , 200 for country landscapes.

Urban pics : 20 and 24 mm (with ff sensor). 12 and 14 for aps. Flektogon 2,8/20, Mir-20 or Mir-47 (K mount) can be a good choice. I use these lenses...

Lanscapes with wide-angle (90-100 °) are great with a 8x10 " view camera...
Of course , this is a personnal point of view !

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have very good experience of following lenses:

1) Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 20mm, 35mm
2) Olympus OM 18mm,21mm,24mm,28mm
3) Yashica ML 24mm, 28mm
4) Nikkor 20mm,Nikkor 24mm, Nikkor 28mm, Nikkor 35mm
5) Tamron SP 17mm f3,5

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with landscape shots taken with a superwide lens can be that the subjects in the landscape can become too small. You've got a lot of foreground and a lot of sky in the picture.
I also would recommend to use an effective focal length of 28 to 50mm and if you need to go wider then you can stitch two or three shots.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys, ive ordered a 2.4/35 flek and a helios 40 so i guess i'll leave it at that for a while. Think i might just be trying to justify getting MORE!! Reading this forum has me quite addicted even though I dont actually have any of these lenses yet...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome in the Club! Confused This is a great place for lens alcoholics... I have over one hundred lens or more and still excited to get a new one Smile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

conor12 wrote:
thanks guys, ive ordered a 2.4/35 flek and a helios 40 so i guess i'll leave it at that for a while. Think i might just be trying to justify getting MORE!! Reading this forum has me quite addicted even though I dont actually have any of these lenses yet...

What camera body are you using with these lenses?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome. That's a very good start -two of the more popular lenses in this forum. (with good reason)

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome conor! you start very strong, those 2 lenses are still on my wishlist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the welcomes... Im using a sony a100 along with a chipped adapter (which is also ordered and not in my possesion yet). I hoping im not getting too far ahead of myself, and my budget but i have a bit of an addictive personality.... what to do? I also happen to be highly addicted to ebay and dont mind searching for bargains. I got the flek (apparently mint) for 55 euro!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Very similar request here . . Reply with quote

I'm looking for recommendations for an M42 WA between 10-17mm (use on 30D-40D). I have a Canon 10-22 but in the 10-14 range the edge performance is not good at all. I would prefer a prime in that range.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Jules

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jules
There are few prime choices for rectilinear lenses. The widest I am aware of for manual focus is the Sigma 14 3.5 that is affordable. Contax has a 15 but look to spend over $3K for it. Either will have the field of view of a about 21mm on your Canon. It is not terribly sharp at the edges on a full frame camera. On a cropped sensor however. The lens performs surprisingly well. There is a full hands on review at luminous landscape using the 30D. Very good distortion control and sharp. It is as most ultra wides are prone to low contrast from stray light. I have the lens in C/Y mount and can confirm the LL review. Crappy full frame edges, pretty nice in it's sweet spot on the 40D.
Cosina has a couple nice choices for Nikon film cameras with MLU. A 15mm and 12mm both with external viewfinders. I have no experience using them but photos I've seen look good. I have the 15mm in the rangefinder form however. It's only been mine for a couple rolls but so far I love it.[/i]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome conor! It's a good question and I'd go along with Helios and Carsten that 35mm is favourite for landscapes. I found some pics that might help illustrate the point. This is the Afsluikdijk and Zaanse Schans in The Netherlands and I wish I'd had a 35mm lens that day!

First with a 200mm lens on APS crop sensor

Now the same shot with a 20mm

A lot of the detail is lost with the ultra-wide lens. But 20mm is very useful on an APS camera if the distance is not too great:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a really good example peter, amazing really how much is lost. Thanks for the time and effort.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Jules
There are few prime choices for rectilinear lenses. The widest I am aware of for manual focus is the Sigma 14 3.5 that is affordable. Contax has a 15 but look to spend over $3K for it. Either will have the field of view of a about 21mm on your Canon. It is not terribly sharp at the edges on a full frame camera. On a cropped sensor however. The lens performs surprisingly well. There is a full hands on review at luminous landscape using the 30D. Very good distortion control and sharp. It is as most ultra wides are prone to low contrast from stray light. I have the lens in C/Y mount and can confirm the LL review. Crappy full frame edges, pretty nice in it's sweet spot on the 40D.
Cosina has a couple nice choices for Nikon film cameras with MLU. A 15mm and 12mm both with external viewfinders. I have no experience using them but photos I've seen look good. I have the 15mm in the rangefinder form however. It's only been mine for a couple rolls but so far I love it.[/i]

Thanks much for your reply.

3K is about 2900 over my range but it's great to think about. I'll check out the Cosina/Nikons as there are Nikon>EOS adapters around.

Are they Cosina brand or . .?

Thanks again

Jules

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jules
Sorry I should have mentioned. The Cosina lenses are branded Voigtlander. You can check them out at B+h or Cameraquest. They are designed for Nikon film cameras with Mirror Lock Up capability only. It does not seem realistic to use them with an Eos I'm afraid Sad

Andy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jules
Sorry I should have mentioned. The Cosina lenses are branded Voigtlander. You can check them out at B+h or Cameraquest. They are designed for Nikon film cameras with Mirror Lock Up capability only. It does not seem realistic to use them with an Eos I'm afraid Sad

Andy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jules

Andy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Hi Jules

Andy

Depending on your definition of realististic this may or may not prove you wrong:

http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/15mm_test1.html

Have a look around this site for more interesting lens comparisons.

Dick

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An other great 35mm lens : Mir-1B 2,8/37. Photomerge panoramic (2 shoots) . This is the shortest focal length usable on that sort of landscape, in my opinion .

Another example : 135 mm ! I only cut some sky . Steinheil Cassarit on bellows.

Another 135mm on aps :

Vivitar-Komine 2,8/135

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallo!
The new panorama-software (I use Panorama Maker 4) is so fine, that all wides are possible. So i take a 100mm (150mm on Pentax) and make a big picture (100MP or more), with enorm details.
So, I am using tele, because the wide lenses (my new 21mm (31,5mm) or the 28mm (42mm) collection) are to small for the 6MP Pentax Cam, if, for example,the churchtower constist of 6 pixs - that´s to few for me.
That´s for architekture and inside a room.

But this is my way, and the new 14MP Pentax K20d is waiting.

Then, 28mm and 35mm are more attractive.

The crop by pentax is 1.5, all wides will be shifted, there is a new kind of DSLR-Class, but the 21mm (31,5mm) is the lower limit for landscape, I mean, by catching the landscape with one shoot.

regards Peter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dickb wrote:
F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Hi Jules

Andy

Depending on your definition of realististic this may or may not prove you wrong:

http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/15mm_test1.html

Have a look around this site for more interesting lens comparisons.

Dick

LOL! Dick, thanks so much. (What a great Link). I am an inveterate tinkerer with cameras and am willing to mess with them quite a bit. This is PERFECT (almost).
I have long lusted after Voightlander and other (Leica) RF lenses and this gives me the perfect excuse, besides; those viewfinders really look cool.

OK What's next? Ha Ha, movie lenses!

Cheers

Jules