Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

which pentacon 135/2.8 should i take ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: which pentacon 135/2.8 should i take ? Reply with quote

yo guys,

need from ya some advice..
which one of this should i take ?

1.http://cgi.ebay.com/971-PENTACON-135-2-8-15-BLADE-IRIS-w-CAPS-M-M42_W0QQitemZ320219105425QQihZ011QQcategoryZ707QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

2.http://cgi.ebay.com/797-PENTACON-135-2-8-MC-w-CAPS-BOX-MINT-NOS-M42_W0QQitemZ320219108862QQihZ011QQcategoryZ707QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i am a bit confuse.. Rolling Eyes

thanks...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and wellcome.

I'm not an expert of these two lenses (I had the second one - the AUTO but without MC - it was a little less better that the other two 135mm lens I own: Tair-11A and Porst MC 2.8/135, so I sold it), but the first one, the preset version I think its better and WOW, looks great being in perfect condition !
The AUTO MC version you can be found more often but the first one, in that condition is harder to get.
I think would be better to hear more opinions though.
Anyway good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, it depends upoon what you're looking for.

The first one is the older, single coated version with 15 blade preset diaphragm - it's basically a rebadged Meyer Orestor with an updated barrel design over the older zebra pattern. The second one is the more recent multi-coated version with auto 6 blade diaphragm. Neither version is extremely sharp, but the preset has better bokeh highlights and the MC has slightly better contrast.

Personally I'd choose the first one as the preset aperture is a delight to use. However if you want sharpness, in this price range (although one stop slower) the Jupiter 37A, Tair 11, CZJ MC S 3.5/135/ or Super- or SMC Takumar 3.5/135 are all better.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't go wrong with any of them, as Peter described above that is the difference. You can see sample with both lenses in mflenses.com/gallery.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither are sharpness ?

Done with Pentacon auto 135/2.8 with scratched front coating :
http://flor27.free.fr/forums/pentacon_mc_135_2.8/IMG_0212.JPG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compare with other good 135mm lenses this is less sharp even your sample.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see your here Carlo!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
as Peter described above that is the difference. You can see sample with both lenses in mflenses.com/gallery.

trully, now it's even getting harder for me to make a decision..
then both lenses have a bit different charackter.
I heard somewhere, this lens are famous as the bokeh monster..

as a hobby photographer i would take the first one
as a collector i would take the second one, then it's an old brand new stock.. totaly in perfect condition..
and i'm both of them .. haha

attila, if you were me, what would you do ? 1st or 2nd ?

anyway thanks guys for advices ...
i gues i still have few days to think it out ..

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this finish, pre-set lens is lot more rare I take this one and later I also buy another one (MC) that is a common lens.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
In this finish, pre-set lens is lot more rare I take this one and later I also buy another one (MC) that is a common lens.

Me too! Smile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Laughing also the pre-set version ....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool ! I wish you luck! I have 5 pcs at least from MC , but from this finish only one!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would take the older, 15-bladed one. I have MC Auto electric Pentacon 200/4 in mint condition and while it is very decent in image quality department, it is not astonishing. I was very dissapointed to see only 6 aperture blades (I made a deal with a friend to buy it from him before I knew newer versions have common apertures).

then again...if no one bids on that 0.99$ new one, it's not a loss to grab it

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holly S**T , i loosed the auction.. although i have bidded 100 dollar on it .... Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next ones comes from same seller if I remember as well.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes rite.. exactly the same seller.
now they have 3 good lenses .. (if i'm not wrong)

MEYER-OPTIK ORESTOR 135/2.8
SCHNEIDER KREUZNACH TELE XENAR 135/3.5
PENTACON 135/2.8 PreSET

gonna keep on eye on them ...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both are promising lenses I hope you able to get right one.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter gave the essential about these lenses . I own the whole range from Orestor and Pentacon preset's to the last electric mc 's (4 versions) . They are not at the top of mf 135's , but the clear winners in this range are the preset's with the famous 15 blades diaph . However , under $30 , the automatics are very good value for the money .
I have the Tele-Xenar , and I can say it is at bit under the level of Jena Sonnar 3,5/135 . Under the Smc Takumar 3,5. Great name but not the best of my "collection" . J-11 and j-37 show more contrast and color saturation .
Here : Meyer Orestor 2,8/135 preset . Pentax DSLR , f4-f/5,6 . Iso 800 , shadow

I like to use this lens.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty unbeatable in portrait action as we can see on this photo, my favorite lens too.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: newbie: Help needed Reply with quote

Hi Folks!

I would need some expertise from your side.

I have realized that the Pre-Set versionof this lens is the better one regarding the Bokeh, but I do not know how to recopgnize it!?

here is one MC version:
Click here to see on Ebay ebay number: 140273940282

and I do not know which one is this:
Click here to see on Ebay ebay number: 140272757885
If you could tell me if hte latter one is the Pre-Set version I can watch out!

Thanks, S.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: newbie: Help needed Reply with quote

der_lockere wrote:
Hi Folks!

I would need some expertise from your side.

I have realized that the Pre-Set versionof this lens is the better one regarding the Bokeh, but I do not know how to recopgnize it!?

here is one MC version:
Click here to see on Ebay

and I do not know which one is this:
If you could tell me if hte latter one is the Pre-Set version I can watch out!

Thanks, S.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second one is latest pre-set , not that what you looking for.

You should look with zebra stripes labeled with Pentacon.

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/pentacon/pentacon_135mm_f2_8_zebra/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang on! Smile The first one is the MC Auto version with 6 blade diaphragm. The second one is the last of the pre-set designs but still has the 15 blade diaphragm. It's the same optics as the zebra Oreston but with a modernised barrel and maybe better coatings. I'd definitely go for this one.

The way to distinguish them is that the pre-set version has the aperture dial near the front of the lens, on the auto version it is near the mount. Here's a pic showing the two different pre-set versions:
http://m42.artlimited.net/lens_detail.php?lid=68

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an old orestor 15 blades diaph ... If nobody want it , i'll bid on it (2nd copy for me ) Mr. Green
I'm quite sure it will not reach 20€ .... Wait until the last 15minutes ...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Hang on! Smile The first one is the MC Auto version with 6 blade diaphragm. The second one is the last of the pre-set designs but still has the 15 blade diaphragm. It's the same optics as the zebra Oreston but with a modernised barrel and maybe better coatings. I'd definitely go for this one.

The way to distinguish them is that the pre-set version has the aperture dial near the front of the lens, on the auto version it is near the mount. Here's a pic showing the two different pre-set versions:
http://m42.artlimited.net/lens_detail.php?lid=68

I have all version from this lens , best one what I suggested. Labeled Pentacon with zebra stripes.