Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Which DSLR for C/Y-mount lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Which DSLR for C/Y-mount lenses Reply with quote

Hello there,

I am just wondering which camera would be the best solution to use Contax lenses for digital shots.

I know that many of you are using Canon DSLR. Since I am really not familiar with the Canon system I have no clue if this is the way to go.

We do have a Panasonic G2 camera at home for quick shots. There are plenty of adapters available but the 2x-crop is disturbing me a bit.

At the moment I do have the following lenses:
CZ 2.8/28
CZ 1.7/50
CZ 1.4/50
CZ 1.4/85
CZ Vario 3.4/35-70
CZ Vario 3.4/35-135
CZ Vario 3.4/100-300
A yashica 3.5/21 is on its way to my bag.

If may aquire in future a:
CZ 4/18
CZ 2.8/180
eventually something like the 2/135 or 2/100

I would appreciate some information about the best digital way or common issues or compatibility problems. I am not going to alter something at the lenses since I will use them on contax bodies. I am not interested in the AF-lenses of the digital brand, just the C/Y.

Thx.
Tobias

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 4/18 will not clear the mirror of a 5D or 5DII
With the 5DII you can work around the problem by shooting in live view mode.
The APS-C cameras will be able to use the 4/18 no problem.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would shaving the mirror work?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beomagi wrote:
Would shaving the mirror work?

Yes.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great lenses! A superb collection Smile Grab a Canon EOS 5D or 5D II or 1DS, 1DS II or 1DS III for some full frame fun (where these lenses really shine).

If the weight of the full frame cameras are too much, grab a Canon EOS 60D which is a bit lighter or wait for the new Sony Nex models to come out with OLED viewfinders Smile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with the lens lineup you have, similar to mine, i highly recommend a full frame dslr so that you can shoot these wonderful lenses as they were meant to be used. for example, at 1.5 crop factor of normal apsc cams, that fabulous 85/1.4 portrait lens becomes a much less useable 127.5mm. that virtually eliminates it's use indoors, unless its a studio setting.

for me personally i have not come close to beating the iq of this lens with my 5d, it rarely comes off!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips.

I did a bit of browsing through the "used-section" of the internet. It seems that an EOS 1D MKII and a 1Ds are about in the same price range here in Germany. It is also in the region what I would spend for a DSLR. The 5D is a bit more expensive.

I was wondering why the full frame 1Ds isn't more expensive than the 1DMKII.
What would be a reasonable amount for the shutter count.

Another question regarding focusing. Are you using screens with rangefinder prism or the focus control of the camera. I am wondering how accurate focusing will be with the 1.4/85 @1.4.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 5d has been spot on accurate with focus confirm (beep) on all my lenses including my favorite 85/1.4.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there's several weaknesses with it.

ISO sensitivity has a low ceiling for today topping out at 1250 vs 3200 on the 1dII.

Slow rapid fire - 3fps vs 8.3.

I don't even know if Cannon was on Digic when they did the 1ds. That's the first full frame dslr - possible teething pains?

It really looks like Canon improved their tech with subsequent sensors.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos1dmkii/page18.asp

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
The 4/18 will not clear the mirror of a 5D or 5DII
With the 5DII you can work around the problem by shooting in live view mode.
The APS-C cameras will be able to use the 4/18 no problem.

I don/t agree with this. I have the 4/18 AE and it clears the mirror on my 5D MkII with no problem.
It might be that the 5d mirrors weren't placed as accurate as they should be quality wise. Maybe try before you buy?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
with the lens lineup you have, similar to mine, i highly recommend a full frame dslr so that you can shoot these wonderful lenses as they were meant to be used.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but does'nt a C/Y-EF adapter contain optical elements? If so, then you are unable to shoot the said lenses as they were meant to be used!
I use C/Y lenses on my Sigma SD14. I simply convert them to an SA compatble mount (SA, PK or M42). This way there are no additional optics in the way to ruin the image quality. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSG wrote:
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but does'nt a C/Y-EF adapter contain optical elements?

You are wrong, it doesn't.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
DSG wrote:

Then it must be an extremely thin adapter!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSG wrote:
peterqd wrote:
DSG wrote:

Then it must be an extremely thin adapter!

Not really. Slightly thinner than an M42 adapter but mine are very well built indeed.

For the OP, the 1D I is NOT full frame, it has an aps-h sensor with a 1.3x crop factor. Only the 1DS and 5D series are full frame in the Canon lineup. The 1DX will also be full frame.

So your choices are, in order of price (cheapest at the top):

1DS (old and slow!)
5D (Love it!)
1DS II
5D II
1DS III
1DX (in March 2012)