Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DConvert wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
DConvert wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
DConvert wrote:
Not really a recent addition, but I've finally got a lens board made for my Delta 77 projector lens(es) to mount on my 5x4 monorail. So I've only just actually been able to see a proper image through one.
Even with a wide angle bellows fitted I've had to mount the lens inside the bellows to get infinity focus and it still doesn't leave enough room to put the tripod mount between the standards.
Just hand holding the lens before a bit of paper had told me the focal length is short, but I now have the chance to do some measurements. It appears that infinity focus is with the nearest part of the lens a mere 35mm from the surface of the ground glass, which makes it ~70mm to the centre of the lens. The front of the lens (mounted this way round) is about 60mm diameter suggesting f/1.17.
At infinity it doesn't quite cover the full 5x4 glass, but the vignetting is not too severe, far more than would be needed for my 6x9 film back.

I was faced with the same problem on my Toyo monorail.
I had to move the tripod mount.
The lens in question is the Schneider Super-Angulon 47mm
Also my latest lens

Nice lens! certainly more usable than my Delta 77 (which has no aperture or shutter) and gives a unusually wide VOF. I don't think I've ever seen anything wider than 47mm for 5x4.
Have you found any difference in results for which end you fit the tripod mount (by the lens or by the ground glass)?
Which Toyo do you have? I have two fairly ancient models the D45M & the Deluxe Smile

It is the widest 5X4 lens that I know of and the field of view is very wide.
I have to mount the lens (front standard) close to the front of the rail or it becomes visible in the shot.
So the tripod mount goes behind the rear standard.
The lens is small and not too heavy, so this helps.
The Toyo is a 45G
Cheers
Tom

Yes of course I didn't think of the visible rail. I don't think my delta is wide enough for that to be an issue, but it will be on a few of the other (lower coverage) lenses I want to try on the monorail.

I think the 45G was the next model on from the 45M does it still have the narrower (about 30mm diameter) rail? I know the latest models have a 39mm rail - which is no good for me. Getting a longer rail will be helpful if I want to use my Rodenstock 480mm, or even just try macro with a standard lens.

It has the thicker rail and came with a rail extension that simply screws on.
It is this one - This isn't mine, but an ebay picture, the same camera though

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DConvert wrote:
I don't think I've ever seen anything wider than 47mm for 5x4.

While the Schneider Super Angulon XL 47mm was the only Schneider lens with 120° image circle (all other XL lenses are 110° or 115°),
nearly fourty years before the XL Super Angulons there was the Super Aviogon 120° made by Wild Heerbrugg in Switzerland,
a Ludwig Bertele computation.

The Aviogons were specialized lenses for aerial photography / reconnaissance and had an extremely high resolution of 250 LP/mm in the center
and 100LP/mm in the corners (wide open!) of a roughly 18x18cm image. Distortion was less than 10 micrometer on the 18x18cm image!

S

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, Wild was VERY highly regarded in the scientific and technical imaging space. Their microscopes and surveying equipment were considered to be the absolute best, so I'm not surprised they produced such an impressive lens for military purposes.

These days they are a unit of Hexagon via their acquisition of Leica Geosystems, who had acquired Wild in the 80's.

stevemark wrote:
DConvert wrote:

While the Schneider Super Angulon XL 47mm was the only Schneider lens with 120° image circle (all other XL lenses are 110° or 115°),
nearly fourty years before the XL Super Angulons there was the Super Aviogon 120° made by Wild Heerbrugg in Switzerland,

The Aviogons were specialized lenses for aerial photography / reconnaissance and had an extremely high resolution of 250 LP/mm in the center
and 100LP/mm in the corners (wide open!) of a roughly 18x18cm image. Distortion was less than 10 micrometer on the 18x18cm image!

S

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
DConvert wrote:

S

Thanks I'll keep an eye out for them as well Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
[
It has the thicker rail and came with a rail extension that simply screws on.

Thanks I'll remember that & try to avoid temptation if I see one cheap on e-bay. As it is the Deluxe, was brought to add some nice extras missing from my D45M & for the bundled lens. It cost less than the lens alone.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got hold of the old Rokkor PF 55mm f/1.8. It’s the first version with 55mm filter thread and aperture lock. Hope to show some results soon!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianSVP wrote:
FWIW, Wild was VERY highly regarded in the scientific and technical imaging space. Their ... surveying equipment were considered to be the absolute best, so I'm not surprised they produced such an impressive lens for military purposes.

A liitle bit off topic of course, but back in the days when Swiss Mirage III RS tactical reconnaissance airplanes were participating in wargames in Europe, they often "won the first prize". It was a combination of photographic gear (Wild Heerbrugg cameras/lenses) in a French delta wing airframe suited for stable low-flying (Mirage III RS) equipped with US avionics, and Swiss pilots used to hide in the terrain.

Interesting sequence starting at 2:40 and especially at 3:40 (remember this is footage from the 1990s)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQU1f_bgPFE

They were doing that kind of stunts regularly just over our house when the "Gepard" anti aircraft system with its Swiss "Oerlikon" twin cannons was tested nearby. Interesting times, I never would have imagined back then that this very stuff would be used in a real Europen war.

S

DConvert wrote:

Good luck Laugh 1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, reminds me of the old joke:
In Heaven, the cooks are French, the policemen are English, the engineers are German, the lovers are Italian and the bankers are Swiss. In Hell the cooks are English, the policemen are German, the engineers are French, the lovers are Swiss and the bankers are Italian.
(With apologies to all nationalities involved!)

stevemark wrote:
BrianSVP wrote:
FWIW, Wild was VERY highly regarded in the scientific and technical imaging space. Their ... surveying equipment were considered to be the absolute best, so I'm not surprised they produced such an impressive lens for military purposes.

A liitle bit off topic of course, but back in the days when Swiss Mirage III RS tactical reconnaissance airplanes were participating in wargames in Europe, they often "won the first prize". It was a combination of photographic gear (Wild Heerbrugg cameras/lenses) in a French delta wing airframe suited for stable low-flying (Mirage III RS) equipped with US avionics, and Swiss pilots used to hide in the terrain.

Interesting sequence starting at 2:40 and especially at 3:40 (remember this is footage from the 1990s)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQU1f_bgPFE

They were doing that kind of stunts regularly just over our house when the "Gepard" anti aircraft system with its Swiss "Oerlikon" twin cannons was tested nearby. Interesting times, I never would have imagined back then that this very stuff would be used in a real Europen war.

S

DConvert wrote:

Good luck Laugh 1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even with superior swiss optics, at that speed I presume shutter times must have been super short.

p

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a lens, but an adapter from M42-MD to fit the tomioka macro , in fact to avoid getting more than one adapter at the time with me
Strangely, it fits correctly on the novoflex adapter but is wobbling on a Beschoi one (other MD lenses work fine with this one)

I think I've found a problem with this adapter, the chrome ring would be exposed inside the adapter, so light would reflect on the inner chrome ring.
I've made some shots and a it appeared a weird circle white spot(reflection ) on the center of the frame , now I believe it might be because of the chrome plated adapter it would need some flocking. Have you guys ever had troubles with these adapters on digital? Maybe on film it would not be so much trouble?

Last edited by kiddo on Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:24 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulhofseth wrote:
Even with superior swiss optics, at that speed I presume shutter times must have been super short.

p

No.

The film was moving to counteract the speed. The velocity of the film movement was automatically adjusted according to height and speed. Of course the Mirage III was a 1960s airplane, and all low-flying was completely "by hands" (no terrain-following radar TFR).

That said, even a terrain-following radar isn't that helpful in the Alps. A German "Tornado" strike fighter crew ran into big troubles in 2007 when they were roaring along the Lauterbrunnen valley, relying on the TFR. They simply couldn't make it and ran into the >4000m (13'599 ft) high mountains at the end of the valley.

They had taken off at Emmen airbase - very close to where I live - and had been explicitely warned about the dangers by Swiss military pilots, but pretty arrogantly dismissed the hazards. The pilot didn't make it, the backseater had ejected and ended up alive in a nearly vertical cliff* about 2500m (8000ft) above the valley. Within minutes a rescue helicopter with a long rope (nearly 100m/ 300ft) was at the site, but getting the backseater out wasn't easy ...

S

* EDIT: The area can been seen in this extraordinary video (now we are back into images).
Flying a fighter jet near the famous Eigernordwand certainly isn't easy; flying there some acrobatic maneuvers in formation must be crazy. And then doing it together with a Airbus A220 passenger jet ...
The section from 4:15 to 7:15 is nothing but extraordinary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kpo2l98YPl4

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And another day with delivery.
The two Nikon in nice condition. The 200 Micro-Nikkor Ai and the 55 Micro-Nikkor Ai-S.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starbucklover69 wrote:
The two Nikon in nice condition. The 200 Micro-Nikkor Ai and the 55 Micro-Nikkor Ai-S.

I've had the 200 micro about 6 weeks now, and am liking it a lot- same A/I variant as yours.
Do let us know how the A/I-s 55 micro 2.8 works out. My old "P" micro 55 3.5 is getting close to too far worn, as in worn out.

The fast f2.5 35mm shown looks interesting.

The vivitar 135 at right above is a vey good lens. I've been watching for a clean copy for quite some time now. I foolishly traded off the one I had in the early 80's for something I felt I really needed...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konica AR 2x converter.

The original Konica 2x converter seems to be pretty rare - at least I have seen it here only once, maybe one or two years ago, as part of a (too expensive) Konica set with cameras and different lenses. Interesting addition to the Konica AR lenses I already have Wink

S

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Macro Focusing Teleconverter is no joke, either.

They had a bit of a renaissance a few years ago when people discovered how well they perform, but they seem to have been forgotten again and are back down to very cheap prices. I have examples in several different mounts and at one point even frankensteined two together to use my c/y mount Zeiss lenses on Pentax DSLRs.

Doc Sharptail wrote:
starbucklover69 wrote:

I've had the 200 micro about 6 weeks now, and am liking it a lot- same A/I variant as yours.
Do let us know how the A/I-s 55 micro 2.8 works out. My old "P" micro 55 3.5 is getting close to too far worn, as in worn out.

The fast f2.5 35mm shown looks interesting.

The vivitar 135 at right above is a vey good lens. I've been watching for a clean copy for quite some time now. I foolishly traded off the one I had in the early 80's for something I felt I really needed...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianSVP wrote:

Is it the Vivitar one? I have a similar Admiral/Panagor "Auto Macro Converter" which goes from 1:5 to 1:1 when suing a 50mm lens at infinity. It seems to be a rather simple [4/4] construction. But then ... Nikon did combine a double gauss f2 master lens with a built-in [3/3] tele converter to get their Micro Nikkor 2.8/105mm!

S

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Memory's a bit hazy, but IIRC, the Vivitar is sometimes seen under different branding, but the Panagor's a different design, and the Vivitar one shown here is substantially larger. As far as I remember, the Panagor/admiral is available in m42 And the Viv never was. I may be wrong, but for some reason I thought the Panagor didn't focus to infinity, but the Viv did? Both do 1:1 with a 50mm.

Here's an image I took several years ago using my "Frankenstein" one on a Pentax k3 with a C/Y Zeiss planar 50/1.7:

stevemark wrote:
BrianSVP wrote:

Is it the Vivitar one? I have a similar Admiral/Panagor "Auto Macro Converter" which goes from 1:5 to 1:1 when suing a 50mm lens at infinity. It seems to be a rather simple [4/4] construction. But then ... Nikon did combine a double gauss f2 master lens with a built-in [3/3] tele converter to get their Micro Nikkor 2.8/105mm!

S

Last edited by BrianSVP on Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up a Rokkor 58mm f/1.4 MCii, nice lens.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My second copy.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, if you are feeling enterprising, you can stack $30 worth of Chinese adapters and ask 2 grand for it!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325685705993?chn=ps

Laugh 1

Also should note that this seller has one of the lowest feedback ratings I've ever seen on a non-banned eBay account.

Also also, he either reused pics from another listing or is attempting to sell the same lens under multiple accounts supposedly in different countries! Ah, eBay....

calvin83 wrote:
My second copy.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianSVP wrote:
Apparently, if you are feeling enterprising, you can stack $30 worth of Chinese adapters and ask 2 grand for it!

Laugh 1

Also should note that this seller has one of the lowest feedback ratings I've ever seen on a non-banned eBay account.

Also also, he either reused pics from another listing or is attempting to sell the same lens under multiple accounts supposedly in different countries! Ah, eBay....

calvin83 wrote:
My second copy.

I don't think there will be any buyer. Even the f/1.9 version might not sell for that amount. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
My second copy.

Wow, congrats - you have two? I have some experience with those lenses myself, so I'm well aware of their limitations and drawbacks. However - because I've started an article on C. Friedrich, which I want to continue working on some time in the future - I would really love to try a 75/2.8 S-Coronar, if possible. So if you ever decide to part with one, please keep me in mind! 👍

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianSVP wrote:

Laugh 1

calvin83 wrote:
My second copy.

Take a look at the seller’s reactions to bad critics. Too funny 😂

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple.joy wrote:

Wow, congrats - you have two? I have some experience with those lenses myself, so I'm well aware of their limitations and drawbacks. However - because I've started an article on C. Friedrich, which I want to continue working on some time in the future - I would really love to try a 75/2.8 S-Coronar, if possible. So if you ever decide to part with one, please keep me in mind! 👍

Yes. It seems I have pretty good luck on finding this lens but I am not able to find the other 50/75/100 S-Coronar! I will post some samples later after I finish adapting my other copy with a proper hood. This copy may goes to my friend since he is also collecting these. You will find one day if you can wait.

caspert79 wrote:

Take a look at the seller’s reactions to bad critics. Too funny 😂

Yep. It seems the seller don't care about the feedback! 😂

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And another day with delivery. Nikon F with Nikkor-P Auto 105 f2.5 and Nikkormat with Nikkor 24 f2.8 AiS
and Admiral Panagor 55 f3 Macro