Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

These simple Tessars can do great things: https://flic.kr/p/LvDMTK

To me that image doesn't look like a CZJ 2.8/50mm Tessar image, but I may be wrong.
Shooting my CZJ (postwar) 2.8/50mm results in distinctively cateye-shaped bokeh towards the corners.
Plus the overal image suggests a much longer focal length than 50mm.

Just my 2 cents.

S

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

added pancolar 50/1.8

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NikonD wrote:
added pancolar 50/1.8

A beautiful trio!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
NikonD wrote:
added pancolar 50/1.8

A beautiful trio!

Indeed. I have always loved the Pancolar and Sonnar, but never understood the common, utter love of the Flektogon. I have tried three copies (never in a controlled, scientific way) and I just don't see it as such a great performer/lens.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

These simple Tessars can do great things: https://flic.kr/p/LvDMTK

To me that image doesn't look like a CZJ 2.8/50mm Tessar image, but I may be wrong.
Shooting my CZJ (postwar) 2.8/50mm results in distinctively cateye-shaped bokeh towards the corners.
Plus the overal image suggests a much longer focal length than 50mm.

Just my 2 cents.

S

I see your point, I will ask her. Maybe a crop, or small sensor camera?

Anyways, my zebra version doesn't have perfect balls on a FF camera. But I wouldn't call the corner bokeh distinctively cateye-shaped: Maybe there's a difference between different versions?
DSC08914 by devoscasper, on Flickr.
Maybe there's a difference between different version?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And we continue with shopping Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starbucklover69 wrote:

Looks in good condition. You'll need to see if you can find the 52/3.5 lens, the first MF retrofocus lens made with a 35mm (equivalent) 28mm F/1.9 field of view.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starbucklover69 wrote:

Nice Fujita TLR 👍

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="caspert79"]
stevemark wrote:

I see your point, I will ask her. Maybe a crop, or small sensor camera?

Anyways, my zebra version doesn't have perfect balls on a FF camera. But I wouldn't call the corner bokeh distinctively cateye-shaped: Maybe there's a difference between different versions?
DSC08914 by devoscasper, on Flickr.
Maybe there's a difference between different version?

I don't use the CZJ 2.8/50mm Tessars often, so I'm not familiar with all their hidden secrets - bu i really was surprised to see a "Tessar" image with

1) completly round out-of-focus "balls" and
2) a lot (a lot!) of bubble bokeh

When I shoot the Tessar on FF cameras, the bokeh looks more like yours ... plus distincive cateye shaped structures towards the corners.

S

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:
starbucklover69 wrote:

Looks in good condition. You'll need to see if you can find the 52/3.5 lens, the first MF retrofocus lens made with a 35mm (equivalent) 28mm F/1.9 field of view.

I've already read about it. They are still too expensive on Ebay.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="starbucklover69"]
Alun Thomas wrote:
starbucklover69 wrote:

I've already read about it. They are still too expensive on Ebay.

How does the Fujita compare to the old Kowa 66? Looks quite similar.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first Tomioka lens , it's amazing how beautiful is, probably original silky smooth grease and nice metal feeling all over the body, unfortunately no original front cap, but it came with the leather case (was there an original good?)

Last edited by kiddo on Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats - that's a really nice lens! I agree that it feels great as well.

Red-iculous by simple.joy, on Flickr

Feather-sealed by simple.joy, on Flickr

De oranje bloem by simple.joy, on Flickr

Even though it's a taking lens (and I'm mainly focusing on industrial lenses) it will be featured in my upcoming article on Tomioka to a significant extent.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All your pictures are so nice to admire , the way you play with light, the doughnuts , sharpness, colours ,would be nice to show us the lighting settings as well
This tomioka ,on wide open has the blades visible (blades don't open all the way) I wonder how visible would they be on the bokeh balls?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took a chance on this (ebay pics):

It took more than a month to arrive after taking a magical mystery tour of the USA, eventually making it's way to the UK and landing on my doorstep late last night wrapped in a couple of padded envelopes, it's soft case and a couple of socks. I was expecting it to be in rough shape anyway and the packaging didn't inspire confidence that the journey would've helped the situation.

Anyway, after bringing it inside and giving it a chance to warm-up a bit, I tentatively cut open the package and was quite pleasantly surprised; not perfect but better than expected. So far so good.

How's the focus? Stuck hard with the lens fully extended. Got that to move - still very stiff but not totally seized.

Glass is dirty, particularly the rear element with a layer of greasy looking dust. How to get in there? Well, the whole optical block and aperture mechanism unscrews from the focus helicoid so I popped-out the element and cleaned it. Unscrewed quite easily so someone's already been in there. Reassembled it with the freshly cleaned element looking good. Time for a quick test shot to see what I'm working with:

Oh dear! That's the sharpest it could manage. Maybe the rear element's in backwards? Tried reversing it and that just made it even worse. Put it back the way it was, concave surface out, which seems correct?

Discovered the front part, just ahead of the preset ring, unscrews and found this:

OK. The large cemented group is jammed-in at an angle and it's retaining ring is left just hanging-out on top of the aperture. Great! And the glass is really stuck in there. Wrestled with it for a while and it eventually broke loose leaving even more of the damaged edge-blackening on my hands. But the glass seems in decent shape so fished-out the retaining ring and put it back together. Time for another test shot:

Last edited by SimonOL on Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:47 pm; edited 4 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a lot better!

Here's how the lens looks now:

Not too bad really. It could've been so much worse!

Focus is still incredibly stiff and the edge-blacking needs sorting out (any suggestions welcome) but it's got potential.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually looking for the mf version, but the supply is so minimal that i finally settled for the af version. The Sigma 180/5.6 apo. It has Min AF mount for which i have a (manual adapter).
It comes from Japan, and from the description it has some fungus on the rear element. On the pictures it looked minimally though. Let’s hope for the best: probably I have to wash off the horrible coating Sigma used on their lens barrels those days that becomes sticky when it gets old.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ simple.joy: Where and when will we be able to see your article about Tomioka? Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next Day next Lens. Asahi Pentax Auto Takumar 35mm F2.3 Cool

And Tomorrow i get a Olympus M1.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starbucklover69 wrote:

Very nice piece of glass!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
starbucklover69 wrote:

Very nice piece of glass!

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starbucklover69 wrote:
... Asahi Pentax Auto Takumar 35mm F2.3 ...

One of those crazy early retrofocus designs with a small master lens, lots of empty space and a huge negative front element. It has a unique rendering typical for those early retrofocus lenses, plus a pretty good correction of CAs. Could be very nice for reportage at low light. Low contrast and relatively much detail.

S

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiping down the ground glass with acetone will take the existing blacking off.
If they sell them in the UK, then get a Sharpie oil-based paint pen (not the regular Sharpie marker), and redo the blacking with it. It works extremely well for this purpose and dries fast:

https://www.sharpie.com/markers/chalk-paint-markers/sharpie-oil-based-paint-marker-extra-fine-point/SAP_1874990.html

SimonOL wrote:

That's a lot better!

Here's how the lens looks now:

Not too bad really. It could've been so much worse!

Focus is still incredibly stiff and the edge-blacking needs sorting out (any suggestions welcome) but it's got potential.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a few examples of this lens. The semi-auto aperture and rather slow focusing action don't make it the best for such an application, but it's a great landscape, nature, and architecture lens. The version with the half stops is probably a little more useful. Can't tell from the pics here, but identifiable by white dot markers on the half stop positions on the aperture ring. Significantly more of a pain to service than the later full auto Taks, but very well built.

stevemark wrote:
starbucklover69 wrote:
... Asahi Pentax Auto Takumar 35mm F2.3 ...

One of those crazy early retrofocus designs with a small master lens, lots of empty space and a huge negative front element. It has a unique rendering typical for those early retrofocus lenses, plus a pretty good correction of CAs. Could be very nice for reportage at low light. Low contrast and relatively much detail.

S

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starbucklover69 wrote:
Next Day next Lens. Asahi Pentax Auto Takumar 35mm F2.3 Cool [

Very, very cool lens!

https://takumarguide.weebly.com/1--23-35-335.html