Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
kiddo wrote:
I bought this one thinking it would be the 90mm (not good info offered) ,so I have to manage what to do with a 40mm macro

The 40mm looks nice too. Wink

It's my first kilar macro and I really liked the double rings on the bikes of the 90mm , this was a quick sale/buy with not many info, only part of the front ring where it is written macro - it's still a nuce combo and the body seems to be working pretty smooth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Have a SMC Pentax (K) 100/4 macro coming my way.

I was gonna get one yesterday, but the reviews on the Pentax forum say it's about the same with Tamron 90mm ,so I've skipped it for now - I'm curious about your results

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
caspert79 wrote:
Have a SMC Pentax (K) 100/4 macro coming my way.

I was gonna get one yesterday, but the reviews on the Pentax forum say it's about the same with Tamron 90mm ,so I've skipped it for now - I'm curious about your results

Well, yes, a totally unnecessary buy, but the price was too good.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
I bought this one thinking it would be the 90mm (not good info offered)

Such a mistake happened to me a few years ago when a saw a lot of nice cameras offered, among them the original Plaubel Makina with 2.9/10.5cm lens and a Rolleiflex with an f2.8 lens. Sadly the f2.8 was the viewing lens, and the actual lens for taking images was the f3.5 Xenar! Nevertheless there was a nice strory behind these cameras; they were the treasured "family cameras" for nearly 90 years (Makina) and 60 years (Rolleiflex), and the previous owner was happy to hear that I really would appreciate those old cameras.

so I have to manage what to do with a 40mm macro[/quote]

I got my own 40mm Makro Kilar (labelled "Kamerabau-Anstalt Vaduz") about five yeras ago from the wastebin of a local photo store. It looks like new and has the Minolta SR bayonet mount. I haven't used it much (apart from a few test shots at infinity), but it would be interesting to see how it performs at closer range. Historically it certainly was an important lens.

S

Last edited by stevemark on Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:27 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
kiddo wrote:
I bought this one thinking it would be the 90mm (not good info offered)

Such a mistake happened to me a few years ago when a saw a lot of nice caleras offered, among the the original Plaubel Makina with 2.9/10.5cm lens and a Rolleiflex with an f2.8 lens. Sadly the f2.8 was the viewing lens, and the actual lens for taking images was the f3.5 Xenar! Nevertheless there was a nice strory behind these cameras; they were the treasured "family cameras" for nearly 90 years (Makina) and 60 years (Rolleiflex), and the prvious owner was happy to hear that I really would appreciate those old cameras.

so I have to manage what to do with a 40mm macro

I got my own 40mm Makro Kilar (labelled "Kamerabau-Anstalt Vaduz") about five yeras ago from the wastebin of a local photo store. It looks like new and has the Minolta SR bayonet mount. I haven't used it much (apart from a few test shots at infinity), but it would be interesting to see how it performs at closer range. Historically it certainly was an important lens.

S[/quote]

I used to have one. Certainly not a lens you’d expect to find in a waste bin.
I didn’t do any excessive testing with it, but its performance seemed to be pretty good.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of the beautiful things behind these ´´toys´´ is the story and owners related to them , most of them i was amazed to hear and enjoy.
Of course, in many cases, the real owners have past away,sometimes for long time, and someone is just happy to know they can get some money for these toys (not ebay prices i mean). I bet the real owner would be going mad watching these gadgets sell for so small amount of money, as in their time must have cost a fortune indeed. I am trying to avoid to buy without knowing what i´m paying for, sometimes things come out good, but bad previous experiences , taught me to avoid certain deals.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
I bet the real owner would be going mad watching these gadgets sell for so small amount of money, as in their time must have cost a fortune indeed.

Not so much in Switzerland. Quite often I have bought from the original first hand owners - they often were selling stuff they bought decades ago. Usually those cameras / lenses are still in very good (or at least good) shape, and the owners are happy to give them to someone who really appreciates them. Sometimes I even keep in touch with the sellers.

S

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just picked up a pretty cool MIR MC 24H (35mm f/2) and a Feinmess Dresden Bonotar 105mm f/4.5 triplet.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Quite often I have bought from the original first hand owners - they often were selling stuff they bought decades ago. Usually those cameras / lenses are still in very good (or at least good) shape, and the owners are happy to give them to someone who really appreciates them. Sometimes I even keep in touch with the sellers.

S

Exactly that thing happened today, again - albeit with a somehow sad undertone: After some small talk and remembring the "good ol'analogue times" the seller told me that he was suffering from cancer and was happy to get rid of the - now at lest for him unneccessary - SLRs and lenses. Of course the subject of our talk immediately shifted to some more substantial and serious subjects. The interesting thing was that he seemed to be quite relaxed, willing to "let go" and organize everything properly . Including selling his beloved photo gear to the - maybe - right person in time ...

S

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starbucklover69 wrote:
SMC Pentax-A* 200mm F4 Macro ED yesterday by Bid Auction. Laugh 1

Its here.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And bought today the next Pentax.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Braun Super-Paxon S 90mm f2.5 MC.

I bid on it was cheap and it's an interesting higher end lens with more than 3 elements. I've never seen one before. The build quality is very plasticy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:

I bid on it was cheap and it's an interesting higher end lens with more than 3 elements. I've never seen one before. The build quality is very plasticy.

Interesting, please post your results. I’ve been looking into these last days.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="caspert79"]
blotafton wrote:

Interesting, please post your results. I’ve been looking into these last days.

Will do! I've taken a few test shots and the center seems quite sharp. There is also quite a lot of CA's.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in a month... zeiss planar 50/1.4 and sonnar 135/2.8, leitz elmarti-R 180/2.8 and telyt 200/4, hexanon AR 40/1.8

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NikonD wrote:
in a month... zeiss .. sonnar 135/2.8, leitz elmarti-R 180/2.8 ...

Good choice since

1) the Leitz Elmarit-R 2.8/135mm [2nd computation] is performs much weaker (and is much heavier) than the Sonnar CY 2.8/135mm
2) the Leitz Elmarit-R 2.8/180mm [later slim version] seems to perform better than the Zeiss CY 2.8/180mm, and certainly better than the Zeiss CY 3.5/200mm

Enjoy Wink

S

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MD-III version of the Minolta MD 8/500mm Reflex lens:

Unlike the MD-I/-II version with white/green distance marks, the MD-III is somewhat uncommon, at least in Switzerland. Around 1980-1985, when the MD-III lenses were produced and sold, "advanced amateurs" in Switzerland usually bought Nikon and Canon gear, and therefore the more expensive Minolta MD-III lenses are scarce (e. g. 2.8/16 Fisheye, 2.8/20, 2/28, 1.8/35, 2/85, 2/135 and 2.8/200 as well as 4/200 - let alone the 4.5/300 or 5.6/400 APO). Even the "cheapos" such as MD 3.5/28 and MD 3.5/135mm are difficult to find!

S

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice Nikkormat FT with four lenses that was given to me yesterday:

Camera and lenses all come from the first owner who - after retirement - is moving from Switzerland to Northern Italy. The 2/50mm and the 3.5/28mm Nikkor are "H.C." versions, meaning that they are multicoated, and therefore slightly different from the Nikkor-H 2/50mm and 3.5/28mm I already had before ... The 4.5/80-200mm is a pretty early version with "diagonal diamonds" rubber grip and knurled aperture ring.

S

EDIT: Image above taken with the Nikon E 4/70-210mm @ f=180mm and f11. As you can see, the lens has quite pronounced purple finging / LoCAs even when stopped down to f11! Next time I'll go back to the Sony/Minolta AF 2.8/70-200 APO G SSM which has much better color correction. But I was simply curious to see how the Nikon E is performing Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
A nice Nikkormat FT with four lenses that was given to me yesterday:

Camera and lenses all come from the first owner who - after retirement - is moving from Switzerland to Northern Italy. The 2/50mm and the 3.5/28mm Nikkor are "H.C." versions, meaning that they are multicoated, and therefore slightly different from the Nikkor-H 2/50mm and 3.5/28mm I already had before ... The 4.5/80-200mm is a pretty early version with "diagonal diamonds" rubber grip and knurled aperture ring.

S

EDIT: Image above taken with the Nikon E 4/70-210mm @ f=180mm and f11. As you can see, the lens has quite pronounced purple finging / LoCAs even when stopped down to f11! Next time I'll go back to the Sony/Minolta AF 2.8/70-200 APO G SSM which has much better color correction. But I was simply curious to see how the Nikon E is performing Smile

That's a close ringer for my FTN except mine has the cold shoe that's held in place with the viewfinder ring.

The E lenses were an economy line, but some did perform well, with less than stellar handling qualities, like the 100mm f2.8 and others. I generally avoid them now~ their heavy use of plastics becomes a bit more noticeable in cooler outdoor temperatures.
Congrats on the other glass!

The H.C. coatings were an improvement, and the green cast coatings of the later K based lenses were even better.
That 28 3.5 looks to be an interesting lens from here.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Minolta AF 20 f/2.8, a Rokkor-PF 55mm f/1.8 and ISCO Ultra MC 80mm f/2 cinema lens.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
A Minolta AF 20 f/2.8

For the price it currently sells it's a no-brainer. Similar properties as the Nikkor AiS 2.8/20mm, but half the price ...

For years (decades) it was my most used lens. Mayve 40% of my images made with it ...
I still own (and use) the first sample I got in 1988!

S

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
caspert79 wrote:
A Minolta AF 20 f/2.8

For the price it currently sells it's a no-brainer. Similar properties as the Nikkor AiS 2.8/20mm, but half the price ...

For years (decades) it was my most used lens. Mayve 40% of my images made with it ...
I still own (and use) the first sample I got in 1988!

S

Yeah, I sold my Color-Skopar because I hardly use this focal length and could use the money to buy some other gear for it. So the Minolta is the more economic replacement. It seems to be very nice quality wise, and manual focusing is surprisingly easy. Mine came in the original box, and even with the original price tag on it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
A Minolta AF 20 f/2.8, a Rokkor-PF 55mm f/1.8 and ISCO Ultra MC 80mm f/2 cinema lens.

How are you liking the ISCO? What are you shooting it on?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hudson wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

How are you liking the ISCO? What are you shooting it on?

Still waiting for my adapter, I’ will use it on my Sony A7R2.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ordered the 62,5 clamp adapter for isco? I've got the 52,5 for angenieux, but the 62,5 could it also but with m65 helicoid I guess