Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks. I just received my latest purchase from the US.
A Vivitar 35/2,8 preset which is added to my other presets. Condition is Ex+
Construction is métal and glass as it should be.
That lens' performance is... "different". What I can tell after a very quick run in my garden.
Nothing is sharp until f11 and even there, not so special. Contrast is bad. Improves a bit @ 5,6 and further, but it's never good. Strong fall-off WO even on my APSC...
But then, it has a very nice and dreamy glow WO. One could try some portraits with it but right now I don't have a subject. It also shows a nice and quite strong swirl, which should raise that lens' worth at least by 4 times 😂 Perfect for lomography. 😅 Bokeh is nothing special but did I mention a nice swirl?
That's the one:
http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Vivitar_35mm_f/2.8_Compatible_T_System
... And it looks like mine is worse than this one:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/steevithak/albums/72157627947267586/
I do have 2 previous 35mm f3,5 Vivitar badged similar lenses, which are both much better, but does anyone know if there has been any other japanese made 35mm preset lens before that set? Thanks.

And here it is. And BTW, I like it a lot.

[url=http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/202310/big_1504

Last edited by Phalbert on Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamiya SX 2.8/35mm, here shown with a few other SX lenses:

While the lens cosmetically looks good - no damage on glass or barrel - its aperture is stuck wide open, and focusing is pretty stiff. I haven't worked on Mamiya SX lenses yet, but I suspect them not to be too complicated.

Apart from the SX 1.8/55 and the SX 2.8/135mm, Mamiya SX lenses are pretty scarce here in Switzerland. Both the SX 2.8/28mm and the SX 3.5/200mm do appear occsaionally (=rarely). Other SX lenses I have only seen once: The SX 1.7/85, the 2.8/105, the 3.5/14mm Fisheye, and now the 2.8/35mm. I didn'd buy the Fisheye since it went for >300 CHF many years ago, but the other ones did end up here Wink

S

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of my m42 mamiya/sekor lenses have stiff and or uneven focussing issues. They must have used some grease that doesn't last decades.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
All of my m42 mamiya/sekor lenses have stiff and or uneven focussing issues. They must have used some grease that doesn't last decades.

Yeah, I noticed that as well. Time to start cleaning and relubricating them Wink

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tokina RMC 17mm f3.5 in M42 mount. I'm looking forward to trying this lens out, it gets really good reviews.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered a lens that was on my wish list for a while: Nikkor Ai-s 105mm f/1.8.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

Really nice lens for portraits, in spite of the all the CAs wide open. Not as heavy as the AiS 2/135mm, and quite a bit "smaller". I think you'll like it. I still have to really to get into its properties for b/w portraits ...!

Since I use mainly the A900 for b/w portraits (due to its beautiful rendering using DRO5 combined with the b/w mode), my experience in shooting portraits with other lenses is rather limited ...

S

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiron 4/70-210mm "zoom lock" in like-new condition (wich box and everything), BUT fogged ... should be a nice exercise to take the front group out and open the rear master lens (that's where the fogging seems to be). Yashica/Zeiss CY mount, BTW.

I certainly will be running a few prelimininary tests before trying to repair it ...

S

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

Good for you. Looking forward to pix of this lens and a few sample shots, if you can! Wink

-D.S.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

Good for you. Looking forward to pix of this lens and a few sample shots, if you can! Wink

-D.S.

Will do!
By the way, bought a QBM Sonnar 85/2.8 as well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Doc Sharptail wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

-D.S.

Will do!
By the way, bought a QBM Sonnar 85/2.8 as well.

Intersting, too ... That one has a lens section which is pretty similiar to the CY Sonnar 2.8/135mm, and therefore quite unusual for a 85mm lens. The latter usually are Planar derivatives ...

(not talking about the Mamiya-derived Rollei 2.8/85mm ... That one is a simple Ernostar)

S

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Universal 28mm" from the early 1970s. I got this lens in a box of cameras that included this "Top Dial" Argus/Cosina and a "Front Dial" Argus STL 1000. I call it the "Universal 28" because it was sold by many brands through the early 1970s. I'll make another post that shows the lens with another of its many branded brethren.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zenitar 85mm f/1.4. Will see how it compares with Helio 85mm f/1.5.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ringfoto 135mm 1:2.8 (Cimko)

Ringfoto Auto Tele 135mm 1:2.8 by The lens profile, on Flickr

Foto Meyer has survived: https://www.foto-meyer-whv.de/kontakt/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:

Like 1 small That's an interesting touch to include the angle of view as well as the traditional focal length. Of course, it's only the angle of view for the diagonal on a 36x24mm format, which isn't a very universal system and probably why the practice never caught on.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Leica Fox wrote:
D1N0 wrote:

Like 1 small That's an interesting touch to include the angle of view as well as the traditional focal length. Of course, it's only the angle of view for the diagonal on a 36x24mm format, which isn't a very universal system and probably why the practice never caught on.
It was for 35mm film camera's Nobody had heard from aps-c or m43 in the seventies Wink

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
Crazy Leica Fox wrote:
D1N0 wrote:

pic

It was for 35mm film camera's Nobody had heard from aps-c or m43 in the seventies Wink

Other formats though...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Crazy Leica Fox"]
D1N0 wrote:
That's an interesting touch to include the angle of view as well as the traditional focal length. Of course, it's only the angle of view for the diagonal on a 36x24mm format, which isn't a very universal system and probably why the practice never caught on.

I think most of my Tamron's (they self multiply Wink ) are marked in similar fashion...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Doc Sharptail"]
Crazy Leica Fox wrote:
D1N0 wrote:
That's an interesting touch to include the angle of view as well as the traditional focal length. Of course, it's only the angle of view for the diagonal on a 36x24mm format, which isn't a very universal system and probably why the practice never caught on.

I think most of my Tamron's (they self multiply Wink ) are marked in similar fashion...

-D.S.

Yes but only the adaptall-2's

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to find some lenses for the Pearl River Camera I bought a few months back, although the 135 is not in the best condition for the price, so negotiations are proceeding for that particular item. I'm looking forward to seeing what the 35mm lens can do, there aren't many F/2.3 lenses around, so this is very likely to be a local design.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:

I managed to find some lenses for the Pearl River Camera I bought a few months back, ...

Interesting stuff. I wasn't aware that the S-201 basically is a Minolta SR with exchangeable viewfinder!
It would be fun to combine such an S-201 viewfinder section with a Minolta SR series SLR to create a top-of-the-line "Minolta SR-9" Laugh 1

S

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:

I managed to find some lenses for the Pearl River Camera I bought a few months back, although the 135 is not in the best condition for the price, so negotiations are proceeding for that particular item. I'm looking forward to seeing what the 35mm lens can do, there aren't many F/2.3 lenses around, so this is very likely to be a local design.

Whoo Turtle Congrats

I heard the 35mm is a pretty good lens that receive many awards in the old days.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Alun Thomas wrote:

I managed to find some lenses for the Pearl River Camera I bought a few months back, ...

Interesting stuff. I wasn't aware that the S-201 basically is a Minolta SR with exchangeable viewfinder!
It would be fun to combine such an S-201 viewfinder section with a Minolta SR series SLR to create a top-of-the-line "Minolta SR-9" Laugh 1

S

The Pearl River camera is one of three or four Chinese analogs of the Minolta SR range, with the Seagull and Peafowl/Panda types being the others I know of. Apparently they are three different companies but the similarities between the various cameras are many, enough to make you wonder about the level of collaboration, probably very similar to the situation in Japan a lot of the time.

I have only disassembled the Seagull DF variant so far (with no further plans) but that camera is not a simple copy of a Minolta camera, although there are many similarities. Interestingly, that camera has borrowed particular features from several different SR models. It has the innovative special linkage for the mirror that Minolta pioneered on it's later SR models. As well as a very similar implementation of the mirror lock up function. But the placement of certain items like the film counter come from other, from memory, earlier models.

Perhaps the most interesting thing I found when working on that camera is that the shutter and mirror box come out of the camera complete, similar to a copal square shutter, I don't believe any Minolta models had that feature. So while the cameras definitely borrowed heavily from Minolta technology, they were not slavishly copied, the Chinese designers added a few touches of their own. Another thing I noted is that the shutter is very well made. I bought my Seagull DF a year or two ago for almost nothing. The camera had clearly been sitting in a damp location for a long long time. It was accompanied by a Praktica LTL with a Zeiss Tessar lens. That lens had spent so long in a damp location that the aperture support and leaves just crumbled to nothing when I tried to repair them. The Seagull shutter assembly however, returned quickly to perfect operation (even the slower speeds) with the judicious application of lubricant to certain spots. I was impressed, the shutter action was superior to many Japanese cameras I had worked on before.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 24mm f2.8 Canon EF. (and an EOS 630 that I will probably never use)

My first ever Canon EF lens.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baekmann wrote:

A 24mm f2.8 Canon EF. ...

My first ever Canon EF lens.

Same here - I only have a handful of Canon EF lenses: An early EF 28-70mm as well as the first generation EF 4/70-210mm plus the EF 1.4/50mm. Their appearance (too much plastics), handling (nearly impossible MF) as well as surprisingly low performance in case of the 4/70-210mm didn't presuade me. Later professional grade EF lenses are different beasts of course, even though some of them seem to have problems with the built-in motors for focusing and aperture control. I still have a EF 2.8/24-70mm here which needs servicing ...

Would be interesting to see how your "new" 2.8/24mm compares to a well known MF 2.8/24mm lens ...

S