Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

Ok, so it seems to be modified to M42 mount? Never seen one before in M42.

Maybe Mamiya made them for people who wanted to hang on to their older m42 Mamiya's. I my have to do some filing to get it to screw in entirely. There seems to be a small ridge. I had to on the Auto
Mamiya/Sekor 55mm 1:1.8 and 135/2.8.

Here a comparison with an EF that is on ebay:

The front end looks identical but my m42 model has only a meter scale and a strangely short aperture ring area for the values. no ridges on the aperture ring and apparently no distance markings closer than 1 meter. No DOF markings.

both have some sort of control sticker but different letters.

On second thought it may be a prototype since a serial number is nowhere to be found either.

Last edited by D1N0 on Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

Maybe Mamiya made them for people who wanted to hang on to their older m42 Mamiya's. I my have to do some filing to get it to screw in entirely. There seems to be a small ridge. I had to on the Auto Mamiya/Sekor 55mm 1:1.8 and 135/2.8

As for the SX lenses, many M42 adapters take it (K&F for example). You only have to screw out (i believe the most peripheral) pin from the rear of the lens. The adapter can accommodate the rim of the lens.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one more obvious thing i also missed is a missing aperture pin..... Maybe this was meant for surveillance camera's some of them came with m42 mounts. I have a 35mm Surveillance-XY lens. Also m42 and no aperture pin. and cfd quite long around 75cm is may guess.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
one more obvious thing i also missed is a missing aperture pin..... Maybe this was meant for surveillance camera's some of them came with m42 mounts. I have a 35mm Surveillance-XY lens. Also m42 and no aperture pin. and cfd quite long around 75cm is may guess.

Did you already receive the lens? Maybe it stops down without an aperture pin? Sounds to me more like a modification kit for adaptation on digital cameras.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
D1N0 wrote:

Did you already receive the lens? Maybe it stops down without an aperture pin? Sounds to me more like a modification kit for adaptation on digital cameras.

No just bought it. Likely the aperture is manual. I don't think it is any recent mod of an old lens. Then there would be DOF markings and original distance markings.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

Maybe Mamiya made them for people who wanted to hang on to their older m42 Mamiya's.

Certainly not.

D1N0 wrote:

The front end looks identical but my m42 model has only a meter scale and a strangely short aperture ring area for the values. no ridges on the aperture ring and apparently no distance markings closer than 1 meter. No DOF markings.
Both have some sort of control sticker but different letters.

On second thought it may be a prototype since a serial number is nowhere to be found either.

Probably not. It might be sort of a reference /calibrating lens, but that usually are 50mm double gauss lenses.

I assume, however, that it was made for industrial purposes of some kind. Zeiss, for instance, still produces a varitey of their lenses with an M42 mount, special aperture rings and focus lock systems, and even with special coatings adapted for higher IR transmission. I'm pretty sure the Mamiya you bought is for such an - yet unknown - application.

S

EDIT: I have an equally strange "no name" Mamiya ZE SLR. "Silver" camera body (unlike most ZEs which are black), no "Mamiya" nameplate and no "ZE" writing, just a bare body. But with the normal Sekor E bayonet, not M42 ...

Last edited by stevemark on Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found for cheap a nice looking Olympus 28mm 3.5
Not yet tested.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:

Interesting find. The normal E/EF aperture ring sets electronic connections per stop that tell the Mamiya camera how far the aperture pin has to be pushed in. I can explain the short aperture scale, the internal aperture mechanism has a short travel, about half of the normal EF aperture ring travel. If directly connected the aperture ring scale has to be as short as your lens shows.
I converted a 1€ Mamiya Sektor E 50mm 2.0 to direct control of the aperture with the original aperture ring. A reduction to half the rotation angle was possible with a nylon wire, one end fixed on the barrel, the other end on the aperture ring, the wire running halfway over a pin on the aperture mechanism. A spring function had to be reversed in the mechanism. The last probably in your lens too.

Internally they must be quite E type alike.

I think you have prototypes to function (a bit primitive) on the M42 camera types for trials, tests etc. Check whether the infinity calibration is correct on an M42 SLR. Japan is thoroughly devoted to the metric system since long so one metric scale was enough.

Enough manual M42 lenses around at that time to fit on security cameras and so avoid a conversion of an electronic bayonet mount lens, IMHO.

Do not change anything on them, they may fetch a high price being prototypes. Check whether there are more available on the market. If not .....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernst Dinkla wrote:

Do not change anything on them, they may fetch a high price being prototypes. Check whether there are more available on the market. If not .....

Not so sure about the value of rare Mamiya lenses. My pretty rare E 50/3.5 macro I bought for 80€ after it had been sitting on the Ebay for at least 6 weeks. Of course things can change in the future.

In any case this 35/2.8 seems to be a very fine lens; and it’s nice it fits a regular M42 adapter.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernst Dinkla wrote:

Do not change anything on them,

Agreed

Ernst Dinkla wrote:
they may fetch a high price being prototypes.

Probably not, tbh. Rarity alone isn't sufficient, you also need people desperately wanting that stuff ... Wink

S

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
I found for cheap a nice looking Olympus 28mm 3.5
Not yet tested.

That's still my favourite 28mm lens (beside SMC Pentax 28mm F2, but the difference in size and price...). It's a joy to use.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dejan wrote:
That's still my favourite 28mm lens (beside SMC Pentax 28mm F2, but the difference in size and price...). It's a joy to use.

Thanks, sounds promising about the Olympus 28mm 3.5!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
Dejan wrote:

I have also found it to be a nice lens.
Here is a link to some samples.
http://forum.mflenses.com/om-zuiko-2-8-28mm-t79697,highlight,%2Bom+%2Bzuiko+%2B28mm.html

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:
Minolfan wrote:
Dejan wrote:

http://forum.mflenses.com/om-zuiko-2-8-28mm-t79697,highlight,%2Bom+%2Bzuiko+%2B28mm.html

Yours is a f/2.8, not a f/3.5?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boyer Paris APO SAPHIR 1:9 F=75 (millimeters obviously)

Not arrived yet, and not much online info on the internet.

S

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.9 presumably

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just picked up this Zebra Pancolar. The serial starts with 874xxxx so apparantly this one doesn't contain thorium.

It does need some cleaning, but the glass looks to be in decent shape. The focus ring could also use some new grease

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Pancolar. Still missing in my collection.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
uddhava wrote:
Minolfan wrote:
Dejan wrote:

Yours is a f/2.8, not a f/3.5?

I never noticed that!
No it is a 3.5, I will change that. Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

S

Dan Fromm has a web page somewhere describing the different Saphir types and some info on the history of the Boyer company.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

S

That's great - got it as well and it is an incredibly tiny but optically solid and very well built little lens.

Here's Dan Fromm's site (you probably know anyway):

https://www.galerie-photo.com/boyer-lens-optic.html

And here's the (still incomplete) Deltalenses entry:
https://deltalenses.com/product/boyer-apo-saphir-75-9/
Feel free to add a review there if you get around using it more than me. 😉

Of course the f/9 max. aperture is a significant limit, but I'm sure it can deliver nice results regardless.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 35 years ago I had three of these Apo Saphirs 9.0 on the turret of a Reinhel enlarger. Cold light head, repro use, to make positive films for silkscreen work. Quite capable for the job. I think 100, 180 and 270mm focal length.

Sold most of my repro lenses over time. There is still an impeccable App Ronar 240mm 9.0 (heavy) and a tiny Saphir 20mm 2.8, 6/4 double gauss with some mold. Very short register distance of the last makes it unusable for anything beyond close up.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This arrived today. I hadn't seen an early SLR Heligon lens before, and I'm not sure if I have now. The serial number on the lens is a similar range to those used on German Rangefinders in the postwar period, and I don't know much about Praktiflex cameras but it also appears to be 1945-50. The lens body has only rudimentary markings for the aperture, and none at all for focus, making me wonder if it was a DIY adaptation, and if so, why? It's not like there weren't other perfectly good lenses available for that camera. But, if it is a DIY job, who made the whole thing? It all works properly, it doesn't appear to be an adaptation using the hardware of a different lens. Another possible explanation is maybe it was manufactured during the closing stages of wartime, or in the immediate period following, maybe normal standards weren't adhered to at that pount. I don't know.

I don't have a Praktiflex adapter so have not tried it on digital, but have confirmed as much as possible that it does have infinity focus on the camera.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

This arrived today. I hadn't seen an early SLR Heligon lens before, and I'm not sure if I have now. The serial number on the lens is a similar range to those used on German Rangefinders in the postwar period, and I don't know much about Praktiflex cameras but it also appears to be 1945-50. The lens body has only rudimentary markings for the aperture, and none at all for focus, making me wonder if it was a DIY adaptation, and if so, why? It's not like there weren't other perfectly good lenses available for that camera. But, if it is a DIY job, who made the whole thing? It all works properly, it doesn't appear to be an adaptation using the hardware of a different lens. Another possible explanation is maybe it was manufactured during the closing stages of wartime, or in the immediate period following, maybe normal standards weren't adhered to at that pount. I don't know.

I don't have a Praktiflex adapter so have not tried it on digital, but have confirmed as much as possible that it does have infinity focus on the camera.

Wow must be super rare!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a DIY job for me.