Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanylapep wrote:
Pentacon Oreston 50mm/f1.8

Neat. Never seen one of those before.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:14 pm    Post subject: rare Palinar (?sun) 600mm f8 Reply with quote

I was pleased to spot this and lucky to get it for relatively little. There seems to be just the one thread here mentioning this lens. Very little comes up googling - no pics. It's very different to the long tokina made ones - tokyo koki, tokina vivitar etc and has a rather better spec, focussing to 10m. Shorter, doesn't separate into halves. I have just had a peek through the lens using my adaptall 02F eyepiece adapter by holding the 02F against the end of the lens, this gives 30x mag with a 600mm. I was surprised to note that infinity focus position was only a few mm out - the registration distances almost match exactly**. I must diy something so I can use the 02F on t-mount lenses. However an immediate complication is this lens has the faux 47mm t-mount. Anyway a positive first impression, sharp clear image by eye, little fringing.
** update registration distance for adaptall is 50.7mm vs 55mm for t-mount. The bayonet on the 02F engages in the adaptall mount on the lens to a depth of approx 4-5mm, so thats the almost exact match.

[/b]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Vivitar 35mm f3.5 with Schneider Opt Serial no Reply with quote

MikeM wrote:
Alun -

I checked Ebay and indeed found a 35mm f3.5 lens by Kawonon that looks nearly identical to this Vivitar lenses. I also found a Spiratone 35mm F3.5 that also looked nearly identical. This leads me to wonder more about the 13xxxxx serial for Vivitar indicating that the lens was manufactured by Schneider Kreuznach? The following lookup list of Vivitar serial number prefixes indicates 13 = Schneider Kreuznach. Is it possible this lens predates the use of these prefix numbers?

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Vivitar_serial_numbers#:~:text=Serial%20Number%20System,-The%20most%20common&text=Under%20this%20scheme%20the%20first,the%20week%20number%20of%20manufacture.

Serial Number Prefix Codes
09 (or 9) Cosina Company, Ltd.
13 Schneider Kreuznach
22 Kino Precision
25 Ozone Optical Co., Ltd.
28 Komine Co., Ltd.
32 Makina Optical Co., Ltd
33 Asanuma & Co., Ltd
37 Tokina Optical Company, Ltd
42 Bauer
47 Chinon Industries, Inc.
51 Tokyo Trading (possibly a corruption of Tokyo Koki, a Tokina predecessor)[4]
56 Kyoei Shoji Company, Ltd.
61 Samyang Optics Co., Ltd
75 Hoya Corporation
77 Kobori Mfg Co. Ltd
81 Polar

Any further comments will be appreciated.

I agree with the opinion that traces this lens origin to Kyoei.
I have the same in Soligor version, but I didn't know that later on it would resurface as Kawanon.

BTW, the attribution of two serials to Schneider and Braun is questionable (at best).
Never seen anything marked Vivitar that could be traced to Schneider or Braun (which used Staeble, Steinheil, Enna, Schneider and I believe also Rodenstock optics, but I'm not sure ever made their own lenses).
Chinon attribution is also... a hornet's nest that I'm not willing to disturb Rolling Eyes

I have no specific knowledge of Vivitar serials. What I know very well is that in Soligor world the starting numbers don't tell the whole story. I found that at different times different makers used serials with the same first number/s. Often the length of the serial was different, thus allowing to infer a rule (see my own contributions to the Soligor serials thread).

Regarding Kawanon lenses, I know very little about them too. I just know that early lenses were branded with a different name: Kawakami. I own an old preset 135mm that's branded that way...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: rare Palinar (?sun) 600mm f8 Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
I was pleased to spot this and lucky to get it for relatively little. There seems to be just the one thread here mentioning this lens. Very little comes up googling - no pics. It's very different to the long tokina made ones - tokyo koki, tokina vivitar etc and has a rather better spec, focussing to 10m. Shorter, doesn't separate into halves.

Nice find. Different from the usual ones.
You're right. It looks quite different from the Tokina made long achromats. I have one of them, an 800mm, that breaks in 3 pieces!

I'm curious. Is it an achromat or a triplet? What's the serial?
I might be wrong, the preset rings looks similar to those of Komine-made teles...

I see that you have the Tamron Adaptall-2 200-500mm 31A in your signature.
If you can withstand its weight (and bulk), it beats all the mentioned long focals by some margin.
Great Tamron design! And great usability on Pentax DSLRs wih the P/KA adapter. Setting the aperture with the thumb is invaluable!

Last edited by cyberjunkie on Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

L-R: Asahi Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 1:3.5/28 (7/7), Asahi Super-Takumar 1:2.8/28 model I early (7/6)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This early Petri lens is famous for it's 7 element optical layout with a triple cemented element. This is the earliest version (I think) with A.C marking (Amber Coating?) instead of CC on other models, and a serial number in the 5XXXX range instead of the 7XXXX range used later. A thread already exists for the lens: http://forum.mflenses.com/kuribayashi-a-c-petri-orikkor-12-f50mm-t81360,highlight,%2Bpetri+%2Bac.html

The camera is also an early model of the M42 Penta featuring a different mechanical layout underneath the bottom plate than was used later on. The camera initially would not fire, but after being worked several times it fired into life, and the rubberised curtains are still in good nick. It still hangs up at lower shutter speeds.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:

This early Petri lens is famous for it's 7 element optical layout with a triple cemented element. This is the earliest version (I think) with A.C marking (Amber Coating?) instead of CC on other models, and a serial number in the 5XXXX range instead of the 7XXXX range used later. A thread already exists for the lens: http://forum.mflenses.com/kuribayashi-a-c-petri-orikkor-12-f50mm-t81360,highlight,%2Bpetri+%2Bac.html

Yes it is a special lens for sure.
There is at least one example of the C.C. with the 5XXXX serial, so I'm not sure that the A.C. - 5XXXX, and the C.C. - 7XXXX correlate (If that is what you were implying)
Beautiful bokeh and rendering from this lens, and it is usually quite sought after (and expensive)
Congratulations
Tom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Manichaean wrote:
stevemark wrote:

The latter is a pretty rare lens as well (of course not as rare as the E 4/300mm) - while it looks like a re-badged Tokina 4/80-200 at first, it certainly has a completely different optical construction, and probably is a real Mamiya computation (remember - they had
excellent 4.5/105-210mm tele lenses for their 645 system back then).

After reading this comment of yours, I have bought Mamiya-Sekor E 80-200mm f4. Currently it is on the way. How do you rate its performance? Similar to the mentioned Tokina or better? I have one of those Tokinas - it's a solid performer. Not stellar, but considering its low price and wide availability it is also a keeper.

I just have been comparing the Mamiya Sekor E 3.8/80-200mm, the later Sekro E 4/80-200mm and the conteporary Minolta MD-III 4.5/75-200mm lenses. Images will later oin a separate therad, but here a few preliminary observations (24 MP FF, infinity, tested wide open and at f8.0):

@ 80mm: Mamiya Sekor E 3.8/80-200mm clearly is best. No lateral CAs at all, very good detail resolution even wide open in the extreme corners. The Sekor E 4/80-200mm has a nearly as good resolution, but slight CAs, and the Minolta has slightly inferior resolution at f4.5 plus slight CAs.

@ 135mm: Mamiya Sekor E 3.8/80-200mm again has the best resolution, very good at f3.8 and excellent at f8, but now also slight CAs. Sekor E 4/80-200mm as well as the Minolta 4.5/75-200 have a somehow lower corner resolution wide open, but stopped down they are as good as the Sekor E 3.8/80-200mm at f3.8.

@ 200mm: Again the Mamiya E 3.8/80-200mm has the best corner resolution wide open, but stopped down the Sekor E 4/200mm is comparable or even slightly better. Wide open the Sekor E 4/80-200mm has clearly a reduced corner resolution and quite strong CAs. Wide open, the Minolta is somewhere in between the two Sekors, at f8 it's slightly inferior to them both.

Over all the Sekor E 3.8/80-200mm wins - a result consistent with the elaborate tele zoom test by Walter E Schön, published in the early 1980s. As far I as remember the Sekor 3.8/80-200 was the best lens in the "resolution" departement back then (out of about 15 lenses tested). But of course this was before the arrival of lenses such as the Zeiss CY Vario Sonnar 4/80-200 or the Leitz R 4/80-200 (both were developped by the same lens designer - Lothar Kölsch).
S

Thanks for the detailed review. My E 4/80-200mm has arrived. Unfortunately there are slight traces of fungus or traces of condensate inside. Fortunately it is unlikely to affect the image much and the seller has issued a partial refund. All in all it costed me about $50. I haven't tried it yet as the weather is not that good but from outside it looks almost like new with the leather case and the original box. I think the lens was kept in the case for long time which probably caused the fungus or condensate occurrence.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manichaean wrote:

Thanks for the detailed review. My E 4/80-200mm has arrived. Unfortunately there are slight traces of fungus or traces of condensate inside. Fortunately it is unlikely to affect the image much and the seller has issued a partial refund. All in all it costed me about $50. I haven't tried it yet as the weather is not that good but from outside it looks almost like new with the leather case and the original box. I think the lens was kept in the case for long time which probably caused the fungus or condensate occurrence.

That's a bit annoying of course ...! Anyway, I have several samples of the earlier Sekor E 3.8/80-200mm here, and if you are interested, you can have one for free, if you are willing to pay the postage. Just PM me.

S

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:

There is at least one example of the C.C. with the 5XXXX serial, so I'm not sure that the A.C. - 5XXXX, and the C.C. - 7XXXX correlate (If that is what you were implying)
Beautiful bokeh and rendering from this lens, and it is usually quite sought after (and expensive)
Congratulations
Tom

Actually you're right, for some reason I thought the difference was significant. I looked through my stuff today and also have a copy with a 6xxxx serial. I'm looking for lenses to go on holiday in New Zealands South Island, and chose the Petri. It is no worse than similar lenses wide open, and quite good stopped down, and the 10 straight blades look good in night shots. We'll see how good it is in general in the next two weeks.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:
Oldhand wrote:

Congratulations
Tom

Actually you're right, for some reason I thought the difference was significant. I looked through my stuff today and also have a copy with a 6xxxx serial. I'm looking for lenses to go on holiday in New Zealands South Island, and chose the Petri. It is no worse than similar lenses wide open, and quite good stopped down, and the 10 straight blades look good in night shots. We'll see how good it is in general in the next two weeks.

I hope that you enjoy your holiday. It is some years since we have been there, but I would gladly go back.
I hope you can post some images when you get home.
Cheers
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange week. Didn´t want to buy anything, ended up with two new lenses. The Canon was a real bait pricewise, so I made a fun bid on an auction that noone else seemed interested in and won. Two days later, I saw the Nikkor for 29 bucks in the local photo store. Both are in very good condition. (Btw, that image taken with the 50/1.7 Hexanon at f/8 on the A7ii at min focus distance)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZuikosHexanonsandVivitars wrote:
Strange week. Didn´t want to buy anything, ended up with two new lenses. The Canon was a real bait pricewise, so I made a fun bid on an auction that noone else seemed interested in and won. Two days later, I saw the Nikkor for 29 bucks in the local photo store. Both are in very good condition. (Btw, that image taken with the 50/1.7 Hexanon at f/8 on the A7ii at min focus distance)

The one on the right is a good one for accurate contrast.
The one on the left, IIRC, from the AE-1, is great in long sunrays, and subdued lighting with a rendering that is distinctly Canon-esque.

Could you show the nikkor from the rear with the cap off? I've a bee in my bonnet over variants...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I'm looking for- the long prong that prevents the lens from being set down on it's rear element.

I have seen it exactly twice~ this 5 c/h screw lens, and one 3 c/h screw variant. I still have not been able to determine what it's for. I know it's not for F/A aperture signal- the A/I-s scoop does that.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:

This is what I'm looking for- the long prong that prevents the lens from being set down on it's rear element.

I have seen it exactly twice~ this 5 c/h screw lens, and one 3 c/h screw variant. I still have not been able to determine what it's for. I know it's not for F/A aperture signal- the A/I-s scoop does that.

-D.S.

I can't help you with the prong, but if you wind the focus ring to the lens' minimum focusing distance, the rear element usually moves inside the lens body - unless the lens has IF of course.
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definitely not I/F. It's the kit lens that was supplied with an awful lot of nikon bodies.
IIRC, this one came to me on a near end of production FE.
FWIW, the serial # ranges on these don't make a whole lot of sense- there's a pre A/I variant here with a higher s/n than some of the A/I lenses. This one is based on the tried and proven "K" series 50mm f2.
Nikon did start with A/I aperture rings somewhere around the middle of the production of this lens, but not all got them.
This goes a ways in explaining the serial # discrepancies.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vivitar Ser.1, 28mm f1,9 made by Tokina. In good condition. Aperture was sticky, but after some exercises became workable. Cost me $5 on flea market.

Canon EF adapter on original Pentax-K bajonet.
Lens has no barrel, or pincussion taking geometrical objects, very slight CA on the tip of the corners, the corners on open are soft.

f1,9:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:

-D.S.

Hello Doc,
Mine looks exactly the same from the back and it has five screws.

Here, from left to right, the 20mm f3.5 AiS, the 50mm f2 Ai and the 50mm f1.4 AiS. Those prongs are getting slimmer the faster the lens is - I assume it´s a mechanical aperture indicator of some sort, telling the camera starting and closest possible aperture.

And I just noticed when taking this image that the color markings on the aperture rings are not uniform. On the 1.4/50, f/8 is colored white, whereas on the 2.0/50 it´s 5.6; and the color sequence is also different on any other lens. I wonder if Nikon painted them randomly or if there is some sort of underlying information related to it.

Btw is it just me getting increasingly annoyed with the most common search engine? The bs vs. useful information ratio is getting ever worse. I couldn´t find anything on both those subjects.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for posting this. That long prong is not commonly seen around here, and there are enough variants and sub-variants to become confused on.

www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html#35

There's some info here that takes a bit of study time.

I have at various times over the years made enquiries on that prong, but no definitive answers....

I'll start this as a new topic a little later on to keep this one from becoming hard to navigate.

Edit: nikon lens serial number identification can be a bit wayward at times, especially with models that had long production runs.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An M42 Mamiya-Sekor 58mm f/1.7. This lens was on my wish list for a long time Happy Dog

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
An M42 Mamiya-Sekor 58mm f/1.7. This lens was on my wish list for a long time Happy Dog

Congratulations! Some years ago I was very lucky to get the very first "Mamiya" SLR which came with the 1.7/58mm lens (albeit wit a kind of Exacta bayonet):

http://forum.mflenses.com/the-mamiya-slr-the-very-first-mamiya-single-le-t80748.html

Since the lens doesn't fit well to my Exakta => Sony E adapter, I haven't been using it ... maybe a mistake? I'm curious to read about your experiences ...!

S

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

Congratulations! Some years ago I was very lucky to get the very first "Mamiya" SLR which came with the 1.7/58mm lens (albeit wit a kind of Exacta bayonet):

http://forum.mflenses.com/the-mamiya-slr-the-very-first-mamiya-single-le-t80748.html

Since the lens doesn't fit well to my Exakta => Sony E adapter, I haven't been using it ... maybe a mistake? I'm curious to read about your experiences ...!

S

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

Congrats. M42/radioactive version is kind of rare, compared to Exakta/non radioactive version.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon nFD 200mm f/2.8. Will compare with my other 200mm f/2.8.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

Did you get that one that sold on ebay the other day? In was watching it, but I already have one of these.

I think you're going to love this lens. It's one of my favorites. It's an excellent performer and it has a really unusual character. The ergonomics are good too.

The apertures on these are often sticky. I dripped a few drops of lighter fluid into mine and worked it over and over until it loosened up. Now it works great.

If you find any interesting information about the lens, post it. I've never been able to find much, other than that it has a mildly radioactive front element. No idea who the manufacturer was.