Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's on the film vs what's in the print
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: What's on the film vs what's in the print Reply with quote

A case in point, if anyone feels defeated by the flat looking negative scans or straight prints... Ansel Adams, "Moonrise, Hernandez, New Mexico" 1941

What a contact print of the actual bit of film really looks like:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I didn't know this comparison, but as a technique I'm rather familiar with it.

When I was taking my degree, I had to enlarge on b&w paper and one of the most important things I have learned was making masks and use contrast filters. It was a time consumer but I enjoyed a lot. We used to call this the "old school photoshop" Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great final results.....any expert using Photoshop that can get the same result in minutes Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Difference is not in the time employed. It actually takes seconds in the darkroom. You only have to plan the steps.
The difference is in what you can do. Photoshop can do things that you can just dream of in the darkroom.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a book - The Negative - from him with the Moonrise on it and the reproduction is far better than the photo showed here, way better in a manner that it doesn't seems to be the same photo,

Renato

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
The difference is in what you can do. Photoshop can do things that you can just dream of in the darkroom.

Well, at least Jerry Uelsmann could do things in the darkroom only a few could dream in Photoshop. Cool

http://www.uelsmann.net/works.php

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodge + burn, make layers, etc all the know techniques may be used to end up with a fine result

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Difference is not in the time employed. It actually takes seconds in the darkroom. You only have to plan the steps.

The existence of Adams' works (and a few fine arts printers) prove the opposite of your last sentence... Wink

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very few negatives are ever perfect. But it is skill in the darkroom that can transform that negative into a print that is one of the most iconic images of all time. And Ansel did not have the benefit of Photoshop or anything else. All he had was his knowledge and very skilled hands.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

You don't actually believe that do you? How much time, if any, do you actually have in a REAL darkroom?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lot of years ago my girl friend & me did things in the high school darkroom you can't even dream of in pohotoshop! Embarassed

Those film times were better than digital age....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duckrider wrote:
lot of years ago my girl friend & me did things in the high school darkroom you can't even dream of in pohotoshop! Embarassed

Those film times were better than digital age....

Ahh, reminds me of the time when I used the University Darkroom and my model would assist me... I know exactly...