Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What caused this problem?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: What caused this problem? Reply with quote

I bought a Spotmatic SPII some time ago, mainly for the lenses that were packaged with it, and I took the whole package away the other weekend to give it a trial. You saw the results of the Takumar lenses with the pictures of the donkeys.

In the Spotmatic I loaded a 24-shot roll of cheap Kodak Ultramax 400 colour neg film and I picked up the negs and prints today. One or two of them have a problem. This is a quick and very dirty neg scan:

I haven't replaced the light seals on this camera yet so I don't trust them. What do you think, is this a light leak on the camera or lens flare? Or something else?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like fogging to me - the shadows on the building indicate that the sun was high in the sky and to your left (maybe even slightly behind you) so either you do need to renew the light seals on your Spottie, the film can lips didn't seal properly once the film was wound back inside or the lab screwed up.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote for "lab screwed up".

I was thinking about something, Peter. You're very unlucky with flare problems. They seem to really have taken you as a target! (I remember the problem with your Jupiter.21M)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob. I thought it was probably fogging but I don't understand why it is such a rich blue colour. As for the film canister leak, out of habit I always leave 1-2cm of full width film outside, so I don't think that's it.

The affected negs are Nos. 4, 17 and 23, - i.e. dotted around the length of the film. It's beginning to point to the camera as I suspected.

Is there a reason why the fogging is blue?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you suspect the camera light seals, then if the film has been in the camera for a little while, any light leaks would simulate a long exposure and so the blue colour could be down to reciprocity failure - the colour shift you get with films when subjected to exposures of several minutes.

http://photonotes.org/cgi-bin/entry.pl?id=Reciprocityfailure

Fourth paragraph down.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I vote for "lab screwed up".

I was thinking about something, Peter. You're very unlucky with flare problems. They seem to really have taken you as a target! (I remember the problem with your Jupiter.21M)

Haha! I'm beginning to use flare creatively! This is my son and his g/f in Australia I took with his camera. I quite like this effect.

I have to admit, though, that I hardly ever think about flare when I'm using a cam, so you could say I'm careless I suppose. I did fit a hood on the Mir-1 for those B&W shots recently and ended up with vignetting!!! Confused But I'm pleased to say the test shots with the Mir on this roll have turned out fine!! Very Happy

There definitely is a problem with the J-21, though. I can't use it and I can't open it to repair it, so it sits at the back of my shelf as I don't have the heart to trash it. I now have a zebra Flek 4/20 with the same problem. The glass looks lovely, too! If you ever need any spare parts give me a call. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, you need to include the first [img]...incomplete link. Woops, it
opened.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Peter, you need to include the first [img]...incomplete link. Woops, it
opened.

Thanks Bill. I somehow had a couple of stray spaces after the first [img]