Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

what arrest and fixer chemicals you suggest?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
GrahamNR17 wrote:
One idea is to decant into small glass bottles, and any air space replaced by an inert gas (available to some photo dealers online. I think it is called Protectan, or something like that.

Some people use a squirt of butane, from a blowlamp or Gaz light. All that matters is to displace the oxygen and the butane doesn't react with the developer. Of course, the habit of lighting up as soon as one steps out of the darkroom should be discouraged... Smile

Not heard of that one, but I like the idea Wink

...though not of exploding afterwards Laughing

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder, which is the more expensive hobby - photo or wine? I think they sell the inert gas stuff for oenophiles...

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
Some people use a squirt of butane, from a blowlamp or Gaz light. All that matters is to displace the oxygen and the butane doesn't react with the developer. Of course, the habit of lighting up as soon as one steps out of the darkroom should be discouraged... Smile

A more ecological method (and waaaaay less dangerous) is to use marbles to fill the gap in the bottle.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jieffe wrote:
Farside wrote:

A more ecological method (and waaaaay less dangerous) is to use marbles to fill the gap in the bottle.

Superb idea, I remember hearing about that years ago, but never tried it.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read, that one needs to wash with running water the film for HALF AN HOUR??
My gosh I will get stellar water bills - water is expensive here Sad

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I have read, that one needs to wash with running water the film for HALF AN HOUR??

No, trust me, use the Ilford method Wink

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamNR17 wrote:
Orio wrote:

No, trust me, use the Ilford method Wink

ok, which is... ? Smile

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my own modified version of it:

Filtered water at room temperature. Use a similar quantity of water that you used chemicals. Pour into the tank.

1st fill, 1 inversion, empty

2nd fill, 5 inversions, empty

3rd fill, 10 inversions, empty

4th fill, 20 inversions, empty

5th fill, let it sit for 1 minute then 20 inversions, empty

6th fill, with filtered or distilled water plus a little Kodak Photoflow or other wetting agent. Agitate for a minute or two, then empty.

Hang to dry as normal.

With a typical Paterson tank you can achieve all of that with about 2.5 to 3 litres of water.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the science behind the methodology above:

http://graham.hopto.org/mflenses/ilfwash.pdf

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks!
That sounds a lot more reasonable.