Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

what are the biggest bargains you have found?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Swedish. It's actually the same name as the norwegians Ketil.

Kjell

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was this a bargain?
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&orig_cvip=true&item=261318117099
Minolta M-Rokkor 28/2.8 for Leica M
Looks like very good condition.
172€
I hope there's no fungus inside etc.

I think I will try it and resell it for higher price, like all the high priced lenses I had before Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few weeks back I won a Zuiko 28mm 3.5 for $30, which is a fair price. When it arrived, and I had to go back to the auction and check this, the seller must have picked the wrong item description because it's a 28mm 2.8 -- a lens that typically sells for between $85 and $170. The photos showed it's a 2.8 and the SNs matched. Shame on my for not looking at the photos more carefully. And it looked almost if not entirely unused based on the mount and paint condition -- not even bag wear.

The 2.8 is was the one I wanted anyway; I just couldn't justify the added expense for a kit I won't use as often as my Pentax and Canon FD gear. So I'm super thrilled about that. My best bargain? No, that remains my Canon F-1 with Sportfinder prism for $28 or the FD 24mm 2.8 for $28, or the 100mm f4 Macro for $28 (I bought a whole kit for $81). But this one certainly made me happy because it was a huge surprise.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belcanto wrote:
No Swedish. It's actually the same name as the norwegians Ketil.

Kjell

We have Kjell as well, my uncles name is Kjell Wink And karlstad is very close too Wink

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:47 am    Post subject: 110 Zoom Reply with quote

Just picked up this 110 zoom I think is a quite good deal. The ad presentation is very poor, which I believe helped me.

What do you think?

Click here to see on Ebay

Do you see a problem I might have overlooked?

[As always, this is a completed auction so you have to click on "See Original Listing" to see the item properly, with all the photos.]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks good, my only thought is what is the green line on the front of the lens...just a reflection? he does say "no scuffs or scratches on the outter" Laughing It's a great price I assume the postage cost is low.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
It looks good, my only thought is what is the green line on the front of the lens...just a reflection? he does say "no scuffs or scratches on the outter" Laughing It's a great price I assume the postage cost is low.

All good and thoughtful points. Postage is exactly US$7, a bit high but I really had no choice in the matter. I didn't pay as much heed to that green line as I should have. Am glad you pointed to it. I hope it's a reflection but if not . . . . . . . .

This is my first foray into 110, done with curiosity as much as anything else. Though this lens, in good shape, can sell for quite a lot more than my total cost. I was astonished to have won the lens. Guess nobody else realized what it is. The name ring photo being out of focus was a foolish move by the seller. Course, maybe he was actually smarter than I thought and just trying to minimize the impact of that green line!!!!

Anyway, I'll have some fun with this, playing with the shims (if necessary) to adjust infinity focus and trying to eradicate the green line . . . . if there is a green line! Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing For the total price you paid I think it's a good buy regardless of the mysterious "green line".perhaps someone else can speculate as to what it is....I am hoping for its just a reflection.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Laughing For the total price you paid I think it's a good buy regardless of the mysterious "green line".perhaps someone else can speculate as to what it is....I am hoping for its just a reflection.

Yeah, me too. Fer shure!

I hope the front element is not deeply scratched or cracked.

I've been burned prior by Polyanna sellers. And this is a Polyanna seller if ever I've seen one! You never know with that ilk.

Still, as you point out, tough to pass up this lens for that money. I actually bid circa US$20 since I did not notice the green line. This one is gonna be a nail biter until it shows up.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's hope this "pollyanna" turns out to be a solid deal. Laughing

I have been waiting over a week for a recent purchase, not a bargain lens, but something I wanted and paid more than the going price for. The seller is only new so I completely understand biting the nails while waiting Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ guardian

It is likely a reflection on that lens, but even if it is a scratch, apart from the disappointment you will feel, it will have virtually no impact on your images unless pointed straight at a light source.

mo wrote:
Let's hope this "pollyanna" turns out to be a solid deal. Laughing

I have been waiting over a week for a recent purchase, not a bargain lens, but something I wanted and paid more than the going price for. The seller is only new so I completely understand biting the nails while waiting Laughing

The anticipation is part of the deal Moira. It is what makes the final delivery so exciting.
I am hoping that you will share your "find" after it arrives.
Good for you
Very Happy
OH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-A Praktica body
-M42 CZ Jena MC Sonnar 135 f3.5
-M42 CZ Jena MC Pancolar 50 1.8
-M42 CZ Jena MC Flektogon 20 2.8

170€

Not the biggest bargain I found, but I think it still qualifies as a bargain considering that I could easily sell the first two for the whole price and keep the 20mm for free.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ OH
It's actually a lens that I already have a few copies of...I have decided I want to collect them,I am trying to get one in each serial range.Am I crazy Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
@ OH
It's actually a lens that I already have a few copies of...I have decided I want to collect them,I am trying to get one in each serial range.Am I crazy Laughing

Not crazy at all in my view. There are some MF lenses about which it fairly can be stated that you cannot own too many.

For me, one case in point of several: Tamron 01A

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guardian wrote:
mo wrote:
@ OH

Not crazy at all in my view. There are some MF lenses about which it fairly can be stated that you cannot own too many.

For me, one case in point of several: Tamron 01A

I missed picking up one of those recently for a good price Sad

@rafa1981
That's a nice bunch of lenses to grab in one sale.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
@ OH

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
I completely understand.
OH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a good trip while visiting my sister and went around to a couple antique shops.

Canon fl 85mm 1.8 $60
Proskar anamorphic 16C lens $5
Pentax spot with super tak 50mm 1.4 $35
Voightlander Vitesse L $25
Kodak retina 111c $20
Bolex 8mm camera $10

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and a leitz 1C enlarger with a fotocor lens for $35, gonna convert the lens for my camera and I have turned the enlarger into a floor standing lamp which looks pretty cool, didnt have to adapt anything in the process just removed some parts so I can put it back together again to be used as an enlarger!

was rather please to finally have a leica lens and it seems I will be able to create an adapter that will reach infinity without too much hassle

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Layer-cake wrote:

These two turn me quite jealous Wink
Have fun with them! I wish I would find an anamorphic lens for 5$, lol

Cheers,
Timo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Räbenfluch wrote:
Layer-cake wrote:

These two turn me quite jealous Wink
Have fun with them! I wish I would find an anamorphic lens for 5$, lol

Cheers,
Timo

Yeah I have been rather lucky and I have found quite a few Anamorphic lenses here in the markets and shops for next to nothing!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Haul!

Great deal on the Retina IIIc -- even if it is a "small c", clean examples are bringing close to $100 here in the States. That Bolex 8mm -- I used to love getting a hold of those things back in my camera dealer days. I used to pick them up for cheap and usually sold them for cheap because there really wasn't much of a market. But they were so well made, I couldn't resist. Nowadays people are finally beginning to appreciate them for their build quality and their value is climbing. So, that was a good deal on the Bolex also, especially if it came with a desirable lens or lenses. And that Canon FL 85mm 1.8 -- you know, I'm a Canonophile from wayback and I've never seen an FL 85/1.8. I just checked US eBay and there are none listed. Googled it and found a guy who had one who mentioned he liked to use it wide open and that its value was between 100 and 200 euros. Closer to 200 euros I'm figuring because of its apparent rarity.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Nice Haul!

Great deal on the Retina IIIc -- even if it is a "small c", clean examples are bringing close to $100 here in the States. That Bolex 8mm -- I used to love getting a hold of those things back in my camera dealer days. I used to pick them up for cheap and usually sold them for cheap because there really wasn't much of a market. But they were so well made, I couldn't resist. Nowadays people are finally beginning to appreciate them for their build quality and their value is climbing. So, that was a good deal on the Bolex also, especially if it came with a desirable lens or lenses. And that Canon FL 85mm 1.8 -- you know, I'm a Canonophile from wayback and I've never seen an FL 85/1.8. I just checked US eBay and there are none listed. Googled it and found a guy who had one who mentioned he liked to use it wide open and that its value was between 100 and 200 euros. Closer to 200 euros I'm figuring because of its apparent rarity.

Thanks for the input cooltouch,

Yeah I've been real lucky lately, it's been a rather steep learning curve over the last 12 months with what to look out for. The Bolex is lovely bought from the same bloke at the market as my first film camera a Yashica TLR for $10 which got this addiction going at full blast. The bolex came with one lens a Switar 12.5mm 2.5 which isnt too bad.

85mm in general are very hard to come by here, this was actually the first I have come across and the price is alot higher than I usually pay for a lens but i wasn't going to turn away Very Happy I don't even have an FD adapter, maybe I should just take the plunge into another mount type!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FD and FL lenses can often be found for quite cheap. I've found that it depends on the seller's awareness of current market trends. For example, I have bought several excellent quality FD and FL optics for very little money from a local camera store who saw them as having very little value, and from individuals who also saw them in the same light.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: All is not well unless it ends well Reply with quote

OK, here is my superfantastic bargain of all time:

We all want to "buy low". And boy, did I ever:

Click here to see on Ebay

And that lens; yeah, I really wanted that lens.

So I won the auction. There was only just one small problem:

The seller never shipped my lens. Sad

I didn't lose money, unless you place significant monetary value on my time. But not having my lens, fairly won, is a tough penalty.

I guess the lesson is that, while it's most often good to "buy low", it's sometimes not good to buy too low! Wink

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guardian wrote:
mo wrote:

Yeah, me too. Fer shure!

I hope the front element is not deeply scratched or cracked.

I've been burned prior by Polyanna sellers. And this is a Polyanna seller if ever I've seen one! You never know with that ilk.

Still, as you point out, tough to pass up this lens for that money. I actually bid circa US$20 since I did not notice the green line. This one is gonna be a nail biter until it shows up.

The green line looks like a cracked UV filter.