Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What are some amazing artistic lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: What are some amazing artistic lens? Reply with quote

I'm bored and in need of new excitements..

I'm not a "sharp" guy, I just love beautiful artistic photos.. so I'm asking your help for lens recommendation that could help me take weird (artistic) photos.

I'm open to any suggestions, but not 3,000$ glasses please.. i still need to eat Smile

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are people here far better suited to answering your question but I would be thinking a cine lens of some sort would possibly give you what you ask for....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What are some amazing artistic lens? Reply with quote

vanylapep wrote:

I'm not a "sharp" guy, I just love beautiful artistic photos.. so I'm asking your help for lens recommendation that could help me take weird (artistic) photos.

I'm open to any suggestions, but not 3,000$ glasses please.. i still need to eat Smile

Thanks!

First natural answers would be a trioplan 100/2.8 and Helios 40 1.5/85, both for the very peculiar bokeh: bubble-soap style for the former, swirly on the latter. Both are not priced near 3.000$, but are not cheap either when compared to "average" manual lenses let's say $300 for the trioplan, something more for the Helios - something less for both with a bit of luck and patience.

But then options may be thousands: it depends on what you thin when you say "weird", and on what camera you plan to take this pics: cine lenses for 16 mm can be really fun, but won't cover FF sensor (nor even aps-c in most cases). You could find old uncoated lenses that will flare like crazy, or ancient designs that will be close to sharp only close to the very center of the frame (yielding some really good effects for portraiture, for example), and many others.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know how weird you want to get. . .

Interesting concept here: http://forum.mflenses.com/meniscus-lenses-t63197.html

There's also freelensing, which you could do with stuff you already have.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can use the helios44 with the cork modification too Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would reccomend the Trioplan / Diaplan / Pentacon AV 100mm f/2.8 too.
And also the Helios 40 is a lens with special artistic potential - but I think with every single lens one could make artistic images.
I do prefer the Trioplan for many of my images, becuase I like its special drawing.

The Nikon DC lenses 105mm/2.0 and 135mm/2.0 are also very interessting - but they are AF lenses for Nikon. Manual for my Canon Smile

Tilt lenses - probably homemade are gret for some things too. Some call fisheys artistic - but these don´t work that good for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search for painterly bokeh, there was a thread here with some interesting examples such as Primoplan 58. Also, the lenses with the worst reputation can surprise you most. Domiplan is a good example

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread perhaps? http://forum.mflenses.com/strange-bokeh-lenses-t30915.html

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look up "free lensing" on Flickr. Detach the lens and just waggle it in front of the camera. Works with any lens/camera combination, but mirrorless are good as they allow more space for tilting the lens while keeping a full range of focussing distances.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions,

By weird (or artistic, well, artists are weird you know).. I meant something like this as an example:

It could be stuffs more crazy or random..

I own the Fujian CTV 35mm 1.7 and it's a fun lens giving weird effects.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fujinon SF 4/85.

Portragon 100

By other way, did you try any meniscus lens?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DR.JUAN wrote:
Fujinon SF 4/85.

Portragon 100

By other way, did you try any meniscus lens?

Nope, I've never tried the meniscus, as it's the first time i hear about them Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanylapep wrote:
Nope, I've never tried the meniscus, as it's the first time i hear about them Smile

Check the link I posted earlier up the thread.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that a trioplan 100 with the right background and proper PP can produce a result similar to the sample you posted.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Trioplan alternative I just ordered a 102/2.8 Kodak Ektanar-C slide projector lens that has built-in extra field curvature (some slide projector lenses were designed that way to compensate for curling film). This is a large aperture Triplet like the Trioplan.
I expect sonewhat similar "artistic" results, or more so maybe.
Big advantage of slide lenses of course is they are much cheaper !

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
As a Trioplan alternative I just ordered a 102/2.8 Kodak Ektanar-C slide projector lens that has built-in extra field curvature (some slide projector lenses were designed that way to compensate for curling film). This is a large aperture Triplet like the Trioplan.
I expect sonewhat similar "artistic" results, or more so maybe.
Big advantage of slide lenses of course is they are much cheaper !

20$! That's like 0.5% of the Trioplan price..

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is just my guess, I am going to try it out.
I will need to find a way to mount it.
For sure it will require some modification.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick1779 wrote:
you can use the helios44 with the cork modification too Very Happy

+1 Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is a lens with cork?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my Minolta MC Rokkor SI 28/2.5

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any lens can be artistic!

For the cheapest solution, pop over to Surplus Shed and pick up a singlet meniscus for like $4 and go crazy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
I like my Minolta MC Rokkor SI 28/2.5

Very good.

Is so sharp at infinito focus?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Any lens can be artistic!

+1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: What are some amazing artistic lens? Reply with quote

vanylapep wrote:

Thanks!

If you are looking for a lens with distinct character, try the early Canon FL 50/1.4 (short barrel, not the later type II), Komura 35/2.8 (LTM), Super-Rokkor 45/2.8 (LTM), Canon 35/1.5 or 35/2 (both LTM). Modern glass is typically well corrected and more or less equal in rendition.